Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Tie Break Criteria for Duals

Devil's advocate here....even if a forfeit was worth 7 team points (or it was used as a seperate tiebraker), what's to keep a coach from avoiding it by sending his guy out there and defaulting 1 second into the match?

I suppose it would at least force them to weigh someone in....

Devil's advocate here....even if a forfeit was worth 7 team points (or it was used as a seperate tiebraker), what's to keep a coach from avoiding it by sending his guy out there and defaulting 1 second into the match?

I suppose it would at least force them to weigh someone in....

Nothing. Except for the fact that the loss would go on their record as an official match.

Suggestion #1.  Use the High School TB rule which I believe is:

A. Fewest team penalty points

B. Most wins

C  Most 6 point wins

D  Most 5 point wins

E  Most 4 point wins

F MOST FIRST POINTS (total of all 14 bouts) scored. ------ If each bout begins with a TD by the eventual winner, this criteria is a wash. --- This is where you get a big controversy, a coach knowing he is about to sent out a kid who will get pinned in the 14th bout can forfeit and win on 14-12 on criteria F. - So I would say for purposes of tiebraker F, each forfeit would be considered a 3 point first score. (and to counter a quick default a first period default with no score would be a 2 point first score)

G-k most NF-3, NF-2, TD-2, R-2, E1

some other stuff

X coin toss

I would add another criteria before coin toss. LEAST TOTAL WEIGHT (of the 14 guys who wrestled) recorded at weigh-in to 100th of a pound (or if this is the way the scale works ounces or 8ths of a pound) or quarter pound it is incredible unlikely this would be a tie, especially with digital scales) in that case, OK coin toss. I guess you need to toss out the weight of the guys who win by forfeit)       

As far as duals are concerned, what's the problem with a tie in the first place?  The NFL has ties.  

In events where ties don't work, such as the National Duals, use criteria.  The key is to use criteria that demonstrates that one team is superior or more aggressive.  RichB's post above makes sense.

Second suggestion, If we were to go to an odd number of weights, The team points for a win would always be an odd number. But team penalty points would be an even number.  An ordinary team penalty would be 2 point deduction, a flagrant misconduct would be 6 point deduction at least in HS). Total team points would always be an odd number, no ties, easier for casual fans to understand

Example:

15 points = FFT, Default DQ, Fall --in regulation

11 points =TF (-present match termination with back points) --in regulation 

9 points for major decision 8-14 in regulation --in regulation

7 points for regular decision 2-7--in regulation

5 points for a decision by 1 --in regulation

3 points for an overtime decision by points

1 point for an overtime victory by less than 60 seconds of riding time (in HS Ultimate Tiebraker

A DQ because of fragrant misconduct in OT would be 15 points (and the subtraction of team points)

But a DQ because of accumulated penalties in OT (say 4 locked hands) would be only 3 or 5 team points

Similarly a default in OT would only be 3 or 5 points, Why should you suffer additional penalty after going thru regulation?

A fall in OT? I am torn between 3, 5, 15.

If both teams field a full team, a tie could only occur if there is a double DQ or double simultaneous default. How often do those events occur? probably less than 1 bout in 10,000 (not sure if I have ever seen either in HS or College.

So a tie is most likely when a double forfeit occurs, in which case you return to the other criteria. 

As far as duals are concerned, what's the problem with a tie in the first place?  The NFL has ties.  

In events where ties don't work, such as the National Duals, use criteria.  The key is to use criteria that demonstrates that one team is superior or more aggressive.  RichB's post above makes sense.

Agreed (especially the last part.:-) NFL has regular season ties, NHL and pro soccer, regular season ties, I think(not sure) ties are possible in HS/college in soccer, Ice Hockey, Field Hockey non tournaments. 

How about this for the tiebreaker?

In the event of a tie, the Highest cumulative points scored = winner of the Dual.

Edit: To clarify, cumulative individual match scores.

Edited by JC