Sign in to follow this  
Two_on_one

Simple Solution to stop teams from forfeiting to our best wrestlers

The other concern is that often our best match-ups are avoided. The best wrestler in the country Logan Steiber doesn't get to compete. No visibility for those fans.

I agree, after Mayes didn't make weight Steiber should have bumped to 149 and wrestled Houdashelt.

KCMO, that depends on who won the toss and chose to send their wrestler out second in the odd matches. If Ryan sent out Stieber, and then Smith responded in kind by sending out Mr. Forfeit, sending Logan out at 149 wouldn't have been an option.

http://www.ohiowrestlingnews.com/news_article/show/457554?referrer_id=1025229

I have to admit that this raised as many questions as it answered.

I've been saying that the way to stop forfeits is to count forfeits in duals as losses for the wrestler at that weight in the RPI and winning percentage, to exact a price for that wrestler not participating.

Stupid idea. Individual wrestlers dont decide team forfeits.

There can be legitimate reasons a coach doesn't/can't put a wrestler on the mat. I say do nothing. I don't think its that big of problem.

If something needs done then award even more than 7 points. The forfeiting team is already prepared to sacrifice 6, so what's one more point?

I really do not think it will matter if the duals have no real meaning?  Some teams are forfeiting knowing it will cost them the dual?

I agree.  Which is why I think that not only should FF points be worth 7 or 8 (greater than 6), but I also think you need to lower the weight class by 1 seed with each FF, and also deduct x amount of team points (whatever is reasonable.  This will effect the entire team, the event, and the individual weight class.  I agree there are teams that FF knowing it will cost them the match, but you got to take care of the fans, especially when the coaches won't.  The poster is right, people show up to see marquee seniors like L. Stieber compete one last time.

I get this scenerio, but in the case of Mizzou, Moisey came in a few pounds overweight, THATS why he didnt go against Stieber. This came from someone in the room when he weighed in. And this from a wrestler who just weighed in the night before and wrestled at 7pm that night. In this case, what should happen? Idk

Obviously poor scheduling/planning.  Mizzou should either plan to accommodate the schedule, or schedule to accommodate the plan.

Heck, why not make it 10 points for the other team on FFTs?

Someone mentioned individual RPI earlier. I didn't know D1 wrestling had a calculated RPI. How is it calculated and how is the score used? 

In sports like CBB, teams are incentivized not only to give every game their best shot, but to schedule & play (and not avoid) tough opponents because W/L, SoS and other metrics affect their RPI which later affect their tournament seeding. Does something this robust exist in college wrestling?

Yes, a wrestlers' individual RPI is one of three metrics used for determining which wrestlers qualify which bids for each conference prior to the conference tournaments (coaches' panel rankings and winning percentage are the other two), and RPI is one of many components the wrestling committee uses to determine at-large selections as well.

In sports like CBB, teams are incentivized not only to give every game their best shot, but to schedule & play (and not avoid) tough opponents because W/L, SoS and other metrics affect their RPI which later affect their tournament seeding. Does something this robust exist in college wrestling?

It exists, but only for the individual--not for the team. Since the team scores in conference championships and at the NCAAs are determined by your individuals, there is an incentive to preserve the individual's record at the expense of the team's dual record. There is no dual meet RPI because the team doesn't qualify for anything (bowl game or post season).