Sign in to follow this  
Two_on_one

Jordan Conaway!

How can anyone not like this kid?  

He is the definition of an over-achiever and you just think that this Cinderella story is going to come to an end, except he keeps getting better and better.

I love watching him pull upset after upset.

Cinderella Story? He is a PA State Champ and won his match at Dapper Dan. He has been pretty solid since getting to PSU. It is not like he is some guy they pulled out of the line at the Creamery. 

He was a one time state champ with that included 3 losses his senior year in HS, at 112 pounds.  He definitely did not have anywhere near the resume of many of the guys he is now beating.  He is now one of the top 125 pounders in the NCAA.  I would call that a pretty darned good success story. 

He won't do much in March but it's a nice story for a school that needs redemption.

trolling at its finest....

it continues to amaze me how everyone seems so surprised at Jordan's performance.  people forget, two years ago he was the 12 seed @ NCAAs , up a weight at 133, and finished in the rd of 12....not to mention his win over tyler graff in the dual.

Edited by gromit

Sorry but one time state champions aren't the most coveted recruits!  Garret Hammond was a 2 timer/3 time finalist who had to walk on.  And when you consider guys coming out of HS with 1 title at 112 are not supposed to RS and compete for AA the following year up at 133.  All preseason the kid got no love compared to other returning AAs and rigthfully so.  That said he continues to defy what others predict for him.

To say what the kid does was expected by anyone other than himself and his closest fans is disengenuous!

Guest Kingsland

Doesn't conway have a win by major over Tyler Graff?

If i am correct this topic could be called "Conway finally gets off the couch"

It was a sudden victory decision. 

If it makes you feel any better I think Dance is the better wrestler and will place higher in March than Conaway. He just needs to stop going to that dive so early in his shoot defense. Everyone in the stadium knew that was coming and Conaway squashed it. Dance will win by 3+ the next time they wrestle.   

No doubt some high recruits would rather accept the challenge and walk on a top program vs a lesser school.  But most recruits with Conaway's resume are signed to top programs with hopes of progressing "in the room" and being insurance if their top guy at his weight gets injured or fails to produce as expected. Most season's there would be a higher rated kid wrestling for PA in the Dapper Dan....... Jordan  got in and made the best of his opportunity.  I would bet that the staff was more than a bit pleased at wha they had once he got here.....He has been proving himself since he arrived on campus.

Look at how many posts here and on other boards still disrespect his abilities.  The kid has never lost a match starting at 125 and was noticably undersized at 133.  In a lot of ways he reminds me of Brad Pataky in that both could have been real forces had there still be a 118 weight class.

I really got a kick at watching a match on Flo of him and Tomasello wrestling in the Ironman Conaways Jr season ( I believe).  Even then Tomasello was significantly more physically mature and some how Conaway won.

On a talent and effort level Conaway reminds me of Nathan Burak. I mean who would have thought that Burak and Morgan McIntosh would pretty much have similar resumes going into their Jr years. Conaway probably could have placed 7-8th place last year at 125 if Earl Hall did.     

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top150_2011.html

Morgan McIntosh #1

Jordan Conaway #109

Nathan Burak not even in the top 150. 

Impressive for Conaway and Burak to basically achieve what McIntosh has so far, that is if we were to assume that Conaway would have been able to place last year.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

I was waiting for someone to mention the Graff victory. If you're surprised by Conaway then you haven't been paying attention.

Also I don't recall Conaway being disrespected on this board.

I have never seen Jordan Conoway disrespected on this or any other forum,. He has been underestimated at times, though. Maybe because he loooks like he's still `17. (Stated with nothing but ultimate respect)

To Burak's defense about his high school ranking, he would have been probably in the Top 150 if he wouldn't have blown his elbow out in a late January tournament his junior year. I'd have been willing to bet he would have won the state title, which would have raised his stock to a point where his third-place finish in Junior FS in Fargo would have not been a surprise to those who look at rankings and compare performance.

Nathan was woefully underrated coming out of high school. 

As always, valuable insights from Otis. For an unheralded guy like Burak to be on pace to have as good a career as Mike Evans (#4 coming out of high school) and a better career than Nick Moore (#11) and Josh Dziewa (#12), that's impressive stuff. Overcoming both low expectations and the recent tendency of highly regarded high school wrestlers to soil the sheets in Iowa City ... hats off to Nathan!  

On a talent and effort level Conaway reminds me of Nathan Burak. I mean who would have thought that Burak and Morgan McIntosh would pretty much have similar resumes going into their Jr years. Conaway probably could have placed 7-8th place last year at 125 if Earl Hall did.     

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top150_2011.html

Morgan McIntosh #1

Jordan Conaway #109

Nathan Burak not even in the top 150. 

Impressive for Conaway and Burak to basically achieve what McIntosh has so far, that is if we were to assume that Conaway would have been able to place last year.  

As always, valuable insights from Otis. For an unheralded guy like Burak to be on pace to have as good a career as Mike Evans (#4 coming out of high school) and a better career than Nick Moore (#11) and Josh Dziewa (#12), that's impressive stuff. Overcoming both low expectations and the recent tendency of highly regarded high school wrestlers to soil the sheets in Iowa City ... hats off to Nathan!  

Or a (#8) Dylan & (#2) Andrew Alton, (#22) Jimmy Lawson... Very impressive for a Conaway and Burak to have similar careers as these types of talent. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

OTIS....GET A GRIP MAN!  The only thing that is remotely similar is that they are both 1 time AAs as Juniors.  For the record through MM's first two years and through 9 matches this year Mac is 58 wins and15 losses wich includes 25 majors and 12 falls.  On the other hand Burak to this point is 39 and 25 with 6 majors, 1 tech and 1 fall.

As Jason points out Burak was not rated well because of an injury.  He would not have been invited to the OTC in Colorado had he not been well though of beyond the ranking services.  Also he is a natural 197 who spent a year at the OTC serving what is essentially a redshirt year.  He arrived in Iowa a full sized  6'1 197 lber.  MacIntosh wrestled aS a true freshman as  about a 5'8/9 inch 184 lber force to fill our void at 197.  The following year he did whatever he could to bulk up to 197 yet during last season he had toeat constantly and still could not maintain 197.  In a perfect world Morgan would be a 2X AA at 184 with a possible title by now.  The kid is a true team player.......many would have looked for a way out under those circumstances.

SO PLEASE.....DON'T EVEN THINK OF DISSING THE YOUNG MAN!

Edited by BDB50

Madcat.....I don't know which boards put it out or how often but many give Jordan for the way he competes but I have seen numorous posts that do not feel he will AA nor beat any of the returning AAs.  We at PSU are thrilled to see him as the starter this  year as he has not lost as a varsity athlete at 125!

I have never seen Jordan Conoway disrespected on this or any other forum,. He has been underestimated at times, though. Maybe because he loooks like he's still `17. (Stated with nothing but ultimate respect)

Compared to his teammate up at 133 he looks like a senior citizen.