Sign in to follow this  
sansbarksdale

Why no Marsteller at Reno?

Thanks

Not much to say after that one. He isn't in great shape or anything but he is so good at managing matches it's almost a non factor. 

Funny how all these guys you claim were better than him in high school are losing to lesser guys and defaulting out the tourney.

Looked better at 165 than at 157. 

Yeah been saying it from day one, no way he should be wrestling at 157. He just beat Palacio, that is a great win for him! I doubt he beats Sulzer next but it is obvious he is going to be way more effective at this weight. 

If I'm Okie State, I'm putting Chance at 174 next year.  He was a 170 his senior year in high school.  When happy it's obvious the dude is as good as they come.  He's short so Smith probably sees him as a lighter weight but his height is what makes him unique at the upper weights.  Kind of like a Yazdani from Iran wrestling guys like Jake Varner.  I say let him enjoy wrestling, eat and feel good.  Let his technique lead the way not his size or strength.  What he needs is his stamina, without it his technique becomes ineffective, at 174 his skills would flourish.      

If I'm Okie State, I'm putting Chance at 174 next year.  He was a 170 his senior year in high school.  When happy it's obvious the dude is as good as they come.  He's short so Smith probably sees him as a lighter weight but his height is what makes him unique at the upper weights.  Kind of like a Yazdani from Iran wrestling guys like Jake Varner.  I say let him enjoy wrestling, eat and feel good.  Let his technique lead the way not his size or strength.  What he needs is his stamina, without it his technique becomes ineffective, at 174 his skills would flourish.      

Agreed. I posted the same thing earlier.

The only thing I differ with you on is the stamina comment. The only times I've seen him winded are against Wiercioch shortly after coming back from injury and this year. I think the huge cut IS the stamina issue. Yes, he is at 165 now, but he was cutting really hard as recently as a few weeks ago. At full strength, going through practices properly instead of dragging through them trying to survive, Chance can go a full 7 and then some.

Agreed. I posted the same thing earlier.

The only thing I differ with you on is the stamina comment. The only times I've seen him winded are against Wiercioch shortly after coming back from injury and this year. I think the huge cut IS the stamina issue. Yes, he is at 165 now, but he was cutting really hard as recently as a few weeks ago. At full strength, going through practices properly instead of dragging through them trying to survive, Chance can go a full 7 and then some.

No disagreement, I tried to imply the same thing...that the cut was creating the stamina issue which in turn hurt his technique.  

I think the size issue could hurt him at 174.  Palacio controlled him pretty well on the mat, and I think the longer & lankier kids are going to be a tough match-up for him.  165 seems right for him, but obviously it would require Derringer moving up next year.  He may have to wrestle 174 next year, just to see mat time. 

I think the size issue could hurt him at 174.  Palacio controlled him pretty well on the mat, and I think the longer & lankier kids are going to be a tough match-up for him.  165 seems right for him, but obviously it would require Derringer moving up next year.  He may have to wrestle 174 next year, just to see mat time. 

174 clears out next year. I think Dieringer could move up and win. He is that good and was indeed that big at 157 last year. I can't believe how much weight he cut and was still able to wrestle that well. Kid's a freak.