Sign in to follow this  
TheWatcher1

why don't girls wrestle against guys in college d1

i mean in high school there are many girls that wrestle guys and even beat them, so why doesn't that happen on the college level as much...

Comparing high school to D-1 college?  Even the top female wrestlers would get absolutely destroyed in D-1.  And pc or not, if I were wrestling D-1 and they put a girl on the mat against me, she might leave the mat under her own power and she might not.

Christmas coming this wk.

Will (do) little boys wake up this thurs and play with his number 1 on wish list? That would be a Lionel

train around the Christmas tree? And do they still make Lionel trains?

Ohhh boy (girl)! A doll house for the little girls ?

Now,please do not be cruel to me. Just saying ?

My answer to the topic question:

Not anytime soon. Guys will wrestle guys. Women (politically correct)

will wrestle women. For the next few decades/centuries -- yo.

Going back 10 or 12 years maybe, Princeton matted a female wrestler.  The Tiger program has continued to evolve since that period of time and is seems to have great financial backing and a great coach in Ayres (sp?)

I wrestled in college and at the sr level. I also understand the difference between dominating an overmatched opponent and injuring them so they can't leave the mat under their own power.

Edited by armspin

There's also the matter of all-girls college wrestling being available, with some scholarships, too.  I doubt too many girls prefer having to compete with guys, so when they no longer have to do so, why would they?  You'd see it a lot less at the high school level and below if there were more girls-only events. 

i mean in high school there are many girls that wrestle guys and even beat them, so why doesn't that happen on the college level as much...

Short answer... umm... men and women are different.

Patricia Miranda was on Stanford men's wrestling team (late 90's- early 00's). She was one of the best female FS wrestlers in the world, winning Olympic bronze and a couple of World silvers. But I don't think she could beat the male teammate  at her weight and she was not the starter for Stanford.

If one looks at other sports, a similar result. 10.75 seconds won an Olympic gold medal for women's 100 m. 

Here are the all time top 100 m times for CA high school boys - Sr, Jr, So, and Fr:

Senior all-time state best: 10.25 Henry Thomas (Hawthorne-SS) 1985

Junior all-time state best: 10.27 Henry Thomas (Hawthorne-SS) 1984

Sophomore all-time state best: 10.39 Charles Saseun (Rancho Cucamonga-SS) 2007

Freshman all-time state best: 10.62 Marques Holiwell (West, Bakersfield-CE) 1992 10.62 Brendon Bigelow (Central,

Forget about d1 men's track. 10.75 would be good for about 20th place in boys CA's high school southern section (and CA has 10 sections). 

Edited by rossel3

Short answer... umm... men and women are different.

Patricia Miranda was on Stanford men's wrestling team (late 90's- early 00's). She was one of the best female FS wrestlers in the world, winning Olympic bronze and a couple of World silvers. But I don't think she could beat the male teammate  at her weight and she was not the starter for Stanford.

If one looks at other sports, a similar result. 10.75 seconds won an Olympic gold medal for women's 100 m. 

Here are the all time top 100 m times for CA high school boys - Sr, Jr, So, and Fr:

Senior all-time state best: 10.25 Henry Thomas (Hawthorne-SS) 1985

Junior all-time state best: 10.27 Henry Thomas (Hawthorne-SS) 1984

Sophomore all-time state best: 10.39 Charles Saseun (Rancho Cucamonga-SS) 2007

Freshman all-time state best: 10.62 Marques Holiwell (West, Bakersfield-CE) 1992 10.62 Brendon Bigelow (Central,

Forget about d1 men's track. 10.75 would be good for about 20th place in boys CA's high school southern section (and CA has 10 sections). 

In fairness to Patricia Miranda, she wrestled in the lowest women's weight class, 48 kg (105.75 pounds).   So, saying she couldn't beat the male teammate "at her weight" is somewhat misleading.  She would've been undersized even if we still had the 118 pound weight class.

In fairness to Patricia Miranda, she wrestled in the lowest women's weight class, 48 kg (105.75 pounds).   So, saying she couldn't beat the male teammate "at her weight" is somewhat misleading.  She would've been undersized even if we still had the 118 pound weight class.

Miranda also wrestled at 51 kg internationally (112.5 lb), but your point is a valid one in that specific case.

But I believe the larger point is still true.  At very elite levels of sport (wrestling, track and field, and probably most sports) the best women in the world would probably not fare well against a very good d1 collegiate male athlete or, in the case of track, even against the best HS boys. 

For what it is worth, and I know it is not exactly wrestling, but I have personally witnessed Ronda Rousey throw around men whose names you would know. Not consistently mind you, but I have seen her "catch" guys that are completely legit. If she fought a middle of the road 133 pound college wrestler who had never trained MMA she would win handily IMO.

For what it is worth, and I know it is not exactly wrestling, but I have personally witnessed Ronda Rousey throw around men whose names you would know. Not consistently mind you, but I have seen her "catch" guys that are completely legit. If she fought a middle of the road 133 pound college wrestler who had never trained MMA she would win handily IMO.

She'd be dangerous to anyone of any size of sex because of any time you put your hands on her or take her down you put yourself at risk for those armbars that seem to come out of nowhere.

Ronda Rousey and Sara McMann are the ones in my mind that could compete with several men. Japanese women are the others.

However, I admit that my knees do get weak in sight of women wrestlers. God damn. They are too much for me at times. I had a female wrestler in my hands but I stupidly let her go... Ah well, I'm stuck with a female who would go with rolled eyes at every mention that I'm going to tOSU wrestling meet...

Christmas coming this wk.

Will (do) little boys wake up this thurs and play with his number 1 on wish list? That would be a Lionel

train around the Christmas tree? And do they still make Lionel trains?

Ohhh boy (girl)! A doll house for the little girls ?

Now,please do not be cruel to me. Just saying ?

My answer to the topic question:

Not anytime soon. Guys will wrestle guys. Women (politically correct)

will wrestle women. For the next few decades/centuries -- yo.

Literary equivalent: Picasso's Weeping Woman. Edited by FiveWords

From what I've seen in practise rooms, world class female wrestlers were beating lower level, and some mid level CIS wrestlers (Canadian college wrestling - maybe NAIA level?) and losing to the top ones.

Comparing high school to D-1 college?  Even the top female wrestlers would get absolutely destroyed in D-1.  And pc or not, if I were wrestling D-1 and they put a girl on the mat against me, she might leave the mat under her own power and she might not.

(I know this is a few days old, but I can't let this one pass. Props to armspin for being the only one to challenge this)

This isn't about being "pc". You are talking about intentionally trying to injure someone because of their sex. If you feel so threatened by the thought of a female opponent that you would attempt to inflict injury in order to prove your manhood, then you just revealed a lot more than you probably intended about your own level of insecurity. Get some therapy before you start beating up your gf/wife/daughter. This is exactly the kind of crap people are talking about when they bring up the issues of misogyny and sexism. Women are threatened with violence for daring to try to compete with or do the same things as men.

Title IX has been deadly for our sport, and I wish we didn't need it. But it's people like you that make it absolutely necessary.

Biology says that 99 point something percent of females are not going to be able to compete on a D-1 level with males in wrestling. But if there a few that can, we should welcome them.

She'd be dangerous to anyone of any size of sex because of any time you put your hands on her or take her down you put yourself at risk for those armbars that seem to come out of nowhere.

While i agree if someone outs there hands on her she can be dangerous, I have a difficult time seeing Ronda surviving a wrestler her size gorilla hulk smashing her face a few times with bad intent.   She's a girl no matter how proficient she is at an arm bar.   Girls can't take punches to the head and face like men can.   They just can't 

Forget about the just the armbars, I have seen Ronda out grapple and out wrestle men with legit backgrounds. I saw her toss around a guy who was a D1 starter (and was actively training MMA...he didn't roll out of a gin mill. )