Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

How many guys have ultimately defeated everyone?

Ed Ruth has a chance to avenge the only other loss of his career besides Amach at the NLO if he faces Jimmy Sheptock. Got me thinking about how many college wrestlers have defeated every wrestler that they have ever faced at least once. Obviously timing is important as some guys never got the chance but it's still a great list to be on.

Here is a selection of non-undefeated wrestlers who avenged all their defeats

Pat Smith 124-4-2 (Dennington 3-1, Russell 1-2, Hamilton 1-1, Miller 5-0-2)

[-WEBKIT-LEFT]Dwayne Keller 64-1 (Weigel 1-1?)[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]Myron Roderick 28-2 (2-2 Hart)[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]Dick Hutton 42-1-1 (McGraw(2-0-1, Gange 1-1)[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]Alan Fried 128-6 (Brands 1-5, Droegenmueller 3-1[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]George Layman 23-1 (Evans 1-1)[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]Mike Caruso 57-1 (Steenledge 1-1)[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]Kirk Pendleton 64-2 (Kinyon 1-1, Natvig 1-1)[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]Stanley Henson 31-1 (Bill Keas 1-1)[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]Steve Mocco 134-6 (2-3 vs Konrad, I think the other three losses were to Rowlands who he also beat?)[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]Tom Erickson?[/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT][/-WEBKIT-LEFT][-WEBKIT-LEFT]Last two are questionable.[/-WEBKIT-LEFT]

Wow first one to say it but.....Cael :D

He had the one loss his redshirt year and avenged it his redshirt frosh year by majoring Jenn.

Another one is Askren I believe. I think he's only losses were to Pendelton who he took 1 match from and one other guy his frosh year but I can't remember who.

who did he all lose to in redshirt

One loss was 2-1 to Eustice of Iowa who was the runner-up that year when Metcalf was penalized for grabbing the headgear. He then lost to Aaron Martin and Dickey of Cornell by DQ at the Southern Scuffle. Those were his only 3 losses as a redshirt. He then was undefeated at like 13-0 or 16-0 at Iowa his redshirt freshman year when he was ineligible due to the transfer.

One loss was 2-1 to Eustice of Iowa who was the runner-up that year when Metcalf was penalized for grabbing the headgear. He then lost to I believe Chinn of Lehigh? and Dickey of Cornell by DQ at the Southern Scuffle. Those were his only 3 losses as a redshirt. He then was undefeated at like 13-0 or 16-0 at Iowa his redshirt freshman year when he was ineligible due to the transfer.

thought he also lost to a kid from UTC (Martin?)

One loss was 2-1 to Eustice of Iowa who was the runner-up that year when Metcalf was penalized for grabbing the headgear. He then lost to I believe Chinn of Lehigh? and Dickey of Cornell by DQ at the Southern Scuffle. Those were his only 3 losses as a redshirt. He then was undefeated at like 13-0 or 16-0 at Iowa his redshirt freshman year when he was ineligible due to the transfer.

thought he also lost to a kid from UTC (Martin?)

I don't think so. Those results are from an old post of mine I had to hunt down because I looked at the VT site in their archives and found it then but they no longer have results archived on there or if they do, I couldn't find them. I know he had 2 third place finishes at tournaments that year, 1 did not place(Scuffle where he got Dq'ed against Dickey), and then won a few other tournaments.

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling/re ... 12aaa.html 149 pounds: The 149-pound class was highlighted by one of the most-anticipated debuts in Tech history as Metcalf, the No. 1 recruit in the nation last year, took the mat for the first time. He opened with a 5-3 win over Penn State's Dan Vallsmont and then beat unattached Felix Osunalotto 6-2. The freshman from Davison, Mich., then fell to Aaron Martin of UTC, 4-3, to drop into the loser's bracket. He came back strong, pinning Clay Tucker of Ohio at the 1:02 mark before beating Vallsmont again, this time 7-2. In the third-place match, he beat Doug Surra of West Liberty, 6-1. Metcalf wrestled unattached, so his 5-1 mark will not c

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling/re ... 12aaa.html 149 pounds: The 149-pound class was highlighted by one of the most-anticipated debuts in Tech history as Metcalf, the No. 1 recruit in the nation last year, took the mat for the first time. He opened with a 5-3 win over Penn State's Dan Vallsmont and then beat unattached Felix Osunalotto 6-2. The freshman from Davison, Mich., then fell to Aaron Martin of UTC, 4-3, to drop into the loser's bracket. He came back strong, pinning Clay Tucker of Ohio at the 1:02 mark before beating Vallsmont again, this time 7-2. In the third-place match, he beat Doug Surra of West Liberty, 6-1. Metcalf wrestled unattached, so his 5-1 mark will not c

It was Martin not Chinn. Mixed them up.

Did McIlravy avenge either of his losses his freshman year? i think the Wisconsin wrestler in the big 10 final and the dual at Northwestern. I'm not sure he did.

Wisconsin wrestler was Dan Spilde.

Assuming we're not counting redshirt results, Metcalf beat Caldwell (at the All Star) and Palmer (repeatedly), his only losses out of redshirt.

Maybe that exhibit match avenges his embarrassing pin from the year before, but how can you say that when later that season he gets destroyed in the most important match of the season?

back to the thread,

with Kellen Russell, although he beat Jaggers many times, he lost to him in the winners bracket the first time Jaggers won and then Jaggers won again the next year.

What's keeping Burroughs off this, the fact he didn't beat Metcalf in folkstyle?

Did Joe Heskett do this? Not sure who all of his ten losses were too. At he lost to Pritzlaff, Blackford and Wilcox which were all avenged.

Or Hazewinkle? That would be an interesting one since he never won an NCAA title. I think he only lost 10 times in his career. Lost to Powell at NCAAs as a freshman, but beat him at the Big 12 tournament before that... not sure who his other 4 losses were to that year. Sophomore year he lost to Coleman Scott at Big 12s and beat him a couple times. Lost to Dubuque at NCAAs his sophomore and Junior years... not sure if he ever beat him . He lost to Simmons at some point and beat him a couple times. His senior year he lost the final to Donohoe and had beaten him two weeks before in the big 12 tournament.

Maybe that exhibit match avenges his embarrassing pin from the year before, but how can you say that when later that season he gets destroyed in the most important match of the season?

THe question is "beat everyone who beat them." Metcalf beat both guys who beat him.

What's keeping Burroughs off this, the fact he didn't beat Metcalf in folkstyle?

That alone would be enough, but he also lost 13 matches as a freshman, and I doubt he avenged all of those losses. I don't have a full match-by-match, though.

But did Metcalf ever beat Caldwell in a match that counted? Or just an exhibition? I looked at Caldwell's record the year of the informal bout, and it didn't show any losses. Do losses in the practice room count as well? If so, this whole thread might as well go away.