Sign in to follow this  
smittyfan

Nathan Boyd

Hmm, Obviously meant Nolan Boyd.  Sheesh, wish I could edit the title.  John seems to have found another nugget of gold.  Always have and always will appreciate Coach Smith, but WOW!

Edited by smittyfan

I think you might be surprised.  Nolan Boyd was not even a mention in recruiting and might have even walked on.  Going back through the years of guys like that.

Johnny Thompson certainly overachieved his expectations.  

Chris Pendleton was an afterthought when OU got the stud at that weight from Oklahoma

Mark Branch  small school wrestler that was not recruited by anyone.

Blake Rosholt came to OSU and was not expected to ever make the starting lineup and AA's his junior year in spite of injury.

I think there is a pretty long list of guys that came to OSU that our expectations were not that high and performed well.

You could make a similar list, an in some cases a longer list, for all the top coaches.

Smith is one of the best coaches, but he gets more than his fair share of studs in recruiting. Boyd may turn out to be a great story, but he is definitely not representative of the average starter at OSU throughout Smith's tenure as head coach.

I can't argue with that.  The story of the Penn State kid that AA'd last year was a great one.  I believe it was English.

Pretty sure that all of the major programs kids have wrestlers that do not meet expectations.

Edited by StallGuy