Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Midlands Predictions

I agree with most of those.  Your VT bias is obvious, can't argue with that.  :-)  I'm a VT fan (spent a chunk of my life in VA) and excited to see the rise of this program.  The VT staff is doing things the right way.  Also an Iowa fan, and have been since my high school wrestling days.  I am particularly interested in the potential Dance - Gilman match up, and would have to go with Dance to win at this point.   Epperly over Evans? Evans cruises to the finals, an Epperly - Evans match-up would be fun to watch.  Evans wins this time around.  I suspect Epperly will progress a ton this season, he's shown he can win the close ones against top shelf guys.  He's tough to beat now, and will be tougher in March. 

125 Dance

133 Schopp

141 Carter

149 Habat

157 Martinez

165 Jordan

174 Evans

184 Brooks

197 Burak

285 McMullan

Team title goes to Iowa by no less than 20.

Seeing these guys opt out of tourneys makes me sick. Cael was like 40-0 every year. He only needed to go like 120-0 to break all records but the fact that he was 159-0 makes him hands down the best ever not because of the 4 titles. We wrestled 159 freakin matches with out a loss. Hard being a wrestling fan! Always has been but now you only need to show up for NCAAs.

Midlands used to be, at times, better than NCAAs. Now it is a sub-par holiday tournament below even Cliff Keen now. The SS is the best. Sad to see what happened to the midlands. Who is to blame here?

Seeing these guys opt out of tourneys makes me sick. Cael was like 40-0 every year. He only needed to go like 120-0 to break all records but the fact that he was 159-0 makes him hands down the best ever not because of the 4 titles. We wrestled 159 freakin matches with out a loss. Hard being a wrestling fan! Always has been but now you only need to show up for NCAAs.

Midlands used to be, at times, better than NCAAs. Now it is a sub-par holiday tournament below even Cliff Keen now. The SS is the best. Sad to see what happened to the midlands. Who is to blame here?

Probably the schools who used to attend and no longer do? Maybe because it's right around christmas, some of these coaches don't think it's ideal to have their kids come back from break and be thrown into the fire?  

Also, don't blame the individuals for not wrestling if you don't know the details of their circumstance.  It's not worth the risk of aggravating an  injury if the med-staff feels it is a possibility.  

I'd make it about 1 minute. Maximum.

I would love to also but age/injuries at 42 years old is to much to overcome:-) One of my HS state champs at 171 can take it to me now:-) My tech is better but he is now faster, has better reflexes, and stamina, and even strength is getting close between us. I wrestled 158 but would have to wrestle 197 now. I would get pinned quick and probably injured in under a minute. It is hell to get old! Really started declining around 38.

I wish some of the old guys would still enter. Old I mean no older than 35 tops. 

Probably the schools who used to attend and no longer do? Maybe because it's right around christmas, some of these coaches don't think it's ideal to have their kids come back from break and be thrown into the fire?  

Also, don't blame the individuals for not wrestling if you don't know the details of their circumstance.  It's not worth the risk of aggravating an  injury if the med-staff feels it is a possibility.  

I understand case by case injury issues. They should move it to the 2nd week of January then. I just miss the aura this event used to have and the special status of calling yourself a midlands champ used to hold. It now holds none of that. Schools pulled out, and older out of school former champs started skipping it. I would guess it will be off the schedule in a few years at this rate.