Sign in to follow this  
Bucksfan

Iowa vs tOSU 1/4/15

A couple question marks here. Does Burak go? Bojo? Lets here your lineups and predictions

125 Nato vs Gilman--have to go with Gilman here

133 JDJ vs Clark-----going with Clark in a squeeker

141 Logan vs Jeva--Logan by tech

149 Hunter vs Grothus--hunter by DEC

157 Demas vs Kelly--Demas by DEC

165 Bojo vs Moore--the one everyone is watching for, going with Bo by DEC

174 Martin vs Evans--Evans by DEC, a major is not out of the question but unlikely

184 Courts vs Brooks-- Brooks by DEC

197 Snyder vs Burak--Snyder by DEC

HWT Tav vs Telford--Telford by DEC

17-15 tOSU winS at home

Grothus over Hunter is a stretch. A first match back loss vs arguably the top 149 is hardly a barometer for where Hunter is at. You can hope though, right? Lol we will see

Hope? Hardly, I'm a Goofer fan.

I was going by coach Ryan's public comments on Hunter.

I was going by coach Ryan's public comments on Hunter.

Can u post a link to that public comment please? Dont recall any comment saying Hunter wasnt wrestling this dual or that he doesnt think Hunter is ready for Grothus. I must have missed that one. Thanks

125 Nathan dec tOSU 3-0

133 JDJ dec tOSU 6-0

141 LS fall tOSU 12-0

149 HS dec tOSU 15-0

157 JD dec tOSU 18-0

165 BoJ dec tOSU 21-0

174 ME major tOSU 21-4

184 KC dec tOSU 24-4

197 KS dec tOSU 27-4

HWT BT dec tOSU 27-7

Now, pinch me please.

Edited by Buckeye4u

125 Nato vs Gilman--Tomasello by decision, I expect high intensity in this match up. 3-0 tOSU

133 JDJ vs Clark-----Clark by decision, not much action but Clark wins it out. 3-3
141 Logan vs Jeva--Logan by major. I predict Jeva will wrestle to not give up points more than to win. I predict the Bear will either win by major or pin him on the way. 7-3 tOSU
149 Hunter vs Grothus--hunter by decision, assuming he is wrestling and ready to go. 10-3 tOSU.
157 Demas vs Kelly--Demas by decision, low scoring from both. 13-3 tOSU
165 Bojo vs Moore--Will Bo be back in the line up? If so I'm taking Bo, otherwise Moore is scoring bonus points. 16-3 tOSU
174 Martin vs Evans--Evans by decision, I don't see Martin hanging with him. Could score the bonus points for the major if he's able to break Martin. 16-6 tOSU
184 Courts vs Brooks-- Brooks by decision, don't see bonus in the matchup. 16-9 tOSU
197 Snyder vs Burak--Snyder by decision, will control the match but won't be ahead by more than 3-4 points. 19-9 tOSU.
HWT Tav vs Telford--Telford by fall. Bobby T. is going to get it done. 19-15 tOSU, final score.

Grothus over Hunter is a stretch. 

not even close to being a stretch. hunter has placed 3rd and 6th and in his only match this year, he looked like he wasn't ready.

Grothus beat the 1 thru 5 placers last year.

who wins? idk. but it's not a shock if Grothus does.

Can u post a link to that public comment please? Dont recall any comment saying Hunter wasnt wrestling this dual or that he doesnt think Hunter is ready for Grothus. I must have missed that one. Thanks

I didn't say anything about a coach saying Hunter wasn't ready for a dual or Grothus (or anyone else). Just an interesting thread to help anyone with a pick. Search for "who wins team title now." Edited by headshuck

The comments Coach Ryan made after the Missouri dual, could be considered to have raised some questions (depending on interpretation).

That and rumors about injury of a chronic nature has had me concerned.

The optimum is that I can look back after this dual and laugh at my worry.

Some lopsided views so far. Crazy to think this dual COULD go either way and very well could be lopsided either way. Duals are funny like that, so many factors affect the outcome. So unfortunate duals dont have the draw they deserve ( well, unless ur PSU or Iowa lol)

Assuming Hunter and Jordan are both wrestling (Bo's dad stated his son would be back for Iowa in an interview):

125: Gilman D Tomsasello. IA 3, tOSU 0

133: Clark D DiJulius. IA 6, tOSU 0

141: L Stieber MD Dziewa, IA 6, tOSU 4

149: Grothus D H Stieber. IA 9, tOSU 4

157: Demas D Kelly. IA 9, tOSU 7

165: Moore D Jordan. IA 12, tOSU 7

174: Evans D Martin. IA 15, tOSU 7

184: Brooks D Courts. IA 18, tOSU 7

197: Snyder D Burak. IA 18, tOSU 10

HWT: Telford D Tavanello. IA 21, tOSU 10

I have the Hawks spanking tOSU handily. Come tournament time, with no further injuries, I think the Bucks will be much closer to the Hawks, but right now, with tOSU so young and banged up, I don't think it will be close.

I think Hunter is a significantly better wrestler than Grothus but I think Grothus will be much better prepared and conditioning will be the difference. Moore has the talent to make the finals this year but is very inconsistent. That said, he is good enough to beat a talented but banged up Jordan in his first official NCAA match.

This dual will be a reality check for the Bucks, who have underperformed admittedly high expectations so far. They came in loaded but halfway into the season have real problems. The most critical problem is that the guys who needed to deliver for the Bucks to have a good chance to win it all have failed to deliver so far: Hunter, JDJ, Courts in particular. They need these guys to course correct in the second half of the season or their golden opportunity to win a title while PSU takes a break will go up in thin air. We'll also see soon how badly their injuries have affected two of their key guys.

This dual will be a reality check for the Bucks

In losing 2 duals to date this year I think they have already experienced that reality check:) They could win out and still be dissapointed in losing those two duals even in lieu of the injuries.

In losing 2 duals to date this year I think they have already experienced that reality check:) They could win out and still be dissapointed in losing those two duals even in lieu of the injuries.

The Iowa dual will be the first time they have a full line-up. "If Hunter and Jordan had wrestled... etc." will no longer be excuses against Iowa. As I mentioned, I expect them to get better from here on out as Hunter and Jordan recover from injuries and the freshmen get more high-level competition under their belts. But it's now 2.5 months until "it matters", hence the reality check.

The most critical problem is that the guys who needed to deliver for the Bucks to have a good chance to win it all have failed to deliver so far: Hunter, JDJ, Courts in particular.

Johnni has lost one match this season??

Johnni has lost one match this season??

He lost to a kid from UNK, a D2 school. I know UNK is a particularly strong D2 school, but nevertheless, the Bucks need Johnni to AA this year, not repeat his performance of last year. Even when winning, he has not always impressed given where the Bucks need him to be, beating guys like VT's Norstrem 2-1.

Ohio State fans always crack me up. Love how they have pointed to this being their year. Please! Ryan can sure bring in the talent, but that's about it. Very few ever get better under his guidance. Ohio State will never be a consistent contender. Iowa match not even close. Nice try Buckeyes......maybe next year.

125 - tomasello looks like an Iowa wrestler but has too many mental lapses Iowa +3

133 - has this kid ever beat a higher ranked opponent? Talk about lack of development. Hold onto the wrist Johhni just about all you can do. Iowa + 3

141 - logan is logan. OSU + 4

149 - don't expect little Stieber to wrestle. Dealing with a tough injury and he is just too weak to fight through it. Will never be an all american again. Mark my word. Iowa +3

157 - like OSU here OSU + 3

165 - wishful thinking Buckeyeyes. Still too green Iowa + 3

174 - again no development. Martin came in with a lot of upside and never got better. Evans will grind him into the mat.Iowa +4

184 - does courts have a heart? Sure does not have a gas tank. This kid was a better wrestler as a freshman in HS. Iowa +3

197 - Snyder doesn't have a single back point this year. OSU coaches probably still yet to realize he has zero mat skills. Wish this kid would have went to a school that could actually develope his all game. What a waste. Still enough to win here. OSU + 3

HWY - no chance. Iowa + 3

22-10. 7 matches to 3. Good thing this is OSU's year. Stick to football!

Edited by klaw

May as well add to the thread... For transparency, I'm a tOSU fan, but I'm a fan of wrestling first.  Unfortunately, i tend to agree with KLAW on his predictions (for the most part).  Here's my spin on the situ:

125:  Gilman dec. Tomasello:  Tomasello hasn't beaten Gilman yet in FS (to my knowledge), and I'm not seeing it turn around here.  3-0 Iowa

133:  DiJulius dec. Clark:  UPSET SPECIAL.  I see a possible 'upset' here.  Most feel Clark will handle Johnni...  remember, Johnni does have signature wins on his overall record (see CKLV last year over Colon).  3-3 Tie

141:  L. Stieber TF Jeva:  Jeva just went down at Midlands 3-1 to unranked Rodrigues from ILL (who Logan has TF'd/Stuck in the past).  Big Bonus here for Bucks.  8-3 tOSU

149:  H. Stieber dec. Grothus:  Going out on a limb and suggesting that the 'Hunter of old' starts reappearing.  I have no clue as to the extent of his injury, and hope that it isn't as devastating as KLAW stated.  If so... Hunter needs to declare a hardship/medical redshirt to extend his window of opportunity and heal the right way.  This could easily go the other way.  11-3 tOSU

157:  Demas dec. Kelly:  This will be a 3-2 decision or something squeaky close.  Demas does 'just enough' to pull out a win.  A very good and smart wrestler with explosive capabilities that we RARELY actually get to see.  14-3 tOSU

165:  BoJo dec. Moore:  This will be one of the highlight reel matches to see.  Although BoJo has been injured, I'm hearing that it's not on the same level as what Hunter experienced.  BoJo has all the tools, and will pull out the decision in a very good match that goes back and forth.  17-3 tOSU

174:  Evans FALL Martin:  This won't be close.  Martin looks like he's given up on his career.  17-9 tOSU

184:  Brooks FALL Courts:  Brooks just keeps getting better, and Courts looks like he's wrestling worse than previous years.  17-15 tOSU

197:  Snyder dec. Burak:  Burak gets the first takedown, Snyder can't do anything on top, but Snyder pulls his 2nd and 3rd period takedown clinic and wins 9-7 or something.  20-15 tOSU

HWT:  Telford FALL Tavanello:  Tav gets the chance to 'not get pinned' and seal the dual for tOSU.  He fails.  Telford is a beast and Tav is more like a #15-#20 HWT at the end of the day.  21-20 IOWA

If a few of my 'upsets' or 'wishful thinking' decisions don't materialize, it's IOWA in a landslide.