Sign in to follow this  
Bucksfan

Iowa vs tOSU 1/4/15

There is a reason to think Snyder changes the outcome.  He rode the guy for over a minute.  Probably would have been longer if he didn't get dinged for stalling in that strange injury time situation.  Bo Jordan dominated Moore, and there's nothing to think Moore changes that outcome.

I will say, Clark likely beats Dijulius next time, just because he will probably work more on avoiding the dumps.  

And Mike Kelly untangles his hands from Demas and gets a couple takedowns...  Blah Blah Blah

Burak would have just had to ride for 10-15 seconds and it was more the fact that Snyder looked like he was going to pass out if he tried to ride Burak anymore. tOSU had nearly a month to get ready for this meet and almost all their guys looked tired.  Even the great super conditioned figure skater NT looked gassed.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

It's this kind of stuff that will prevent the strongest Duh Ohio State team in some time from winning a team title. They are too close to Cleveland and will continue to be like Cleveland, it's in the water or something.

Negative, since Greater Cleveland, measurably, has had the finest high school wrestling in the country over the last 40 years. Outstanding area to live and wrestle in.

If anything, this dual has me more convinced tOSU will outperform Iowa in a tournament, especially the one with the best 33 DI wrestlers per weight class!

Gilman is better but it is hard to keep winning super close matches.  The point difference at this weight will be negligible.

Dijulius showed he absolutely can and should AA.

Stieber WILL outscore Iowa here by 25 pts.  Book it!

Hunter is VERY good, even when obviously less than 100%.  If he can just get to 90% and reach the podium, I don't see anyone beating tOSU.

Demas is exactly what has been expected.  Should finish in the 6-8 range.

BoJo looked awesome just getting back from injury.  If he can progress through March he may be meeting Dierenger Saturday night!

Martin wasn't going to win.  He , however, keeps it close with anyone.  With a good draw he could make the podium and put the icing on the cake.

Courts didn't back down.  Even with the loss, I see his stock on the rise!

Snyder, ugh!  Major mental mistake.  Burak is really hard to score on.  However, I was encouraged by his ability to ride.  I don't see him in the finals but a 5th place finish would still be enough for tOSU to win it all.

Tavanello is a r12 wrestler.  His draw will decide if he sneaks onto the podium or goes out in the R16.

With all that said, my hat goes off to Tom Brands and the Iowa wrestlers.  Year in and year out they are an incredible dual team.  I only wonder if so much focus on that has caught up to them in March over the last few seasons......

Wooooooweee! That was a doozy! Hard fought dual by Iowa, hats off to them. I am now convinced H. Stieber may be done with college wrestling. Dont think he wants to go out like McD. His heart is not in it anymore, hard for me to admit that folks. He is not the same wrestler anymore. He wrestled terrible and still got up early and all but gave up in the final 2 minutes.

Who would have thought the dual would have been decided by a loss from Snyder? NOBODY. Another realization regarding Snyder, very talented true frosh but you have to concede he is now wrestling to his ranking on #7. I think people saw him as being better than that ranking before but you just cant now. Couldnt score 1 takedown, he deserved to lose that match, injury time screw up or not.

Bojo! First real collegiate match and he dominates a seasoned vet. I think he gassed late (so did Snyder which is odd) and didnt have enough in the tank for one more td. Agree he beats Moore by at least that much if they meet again.

Im not too dissapointed with that dual result. Very close match that didnt go our way, great dual.

Major mental fart by Snyder, but the key thing to talk about is ZERO TDs for the guy many were crowning NCAA champ. Great job by Burak. Snyder certainly had plenty of opportunity to show he was on another level but he did not do anything for me to believe that.

I don't think many were crowning him.  I'd say they were putting him in the conversation.

The same way you feel about Snyder next time (which really there is no reason to think he changes the outcome) 

What did Burak do today to make you think he is better than Snyder? Burak had no take downs and didn't ride him for 1 second. Snyder ran out of time or he would have finished that 1rst period attempt in all likelihood, plus he rode him for over a minute. I give Burak that he is "on the level" right now, but no way is there evidence he is actually better. The evidence tilts the opposite way. 

With all that said, my hat goes off to Tom Brands and the Iowa wrestlers.  Year in and year out they are an incredible dual team.  I only wonder if so much focus on that has caught up to them in March over the last few seasons......

I know what you mean. Of course Iowa is going to win this dual when they takes nearly a month to train and peak for it. Oh wait.  

What did Burak do today to make you think he is better than Snyder? Burak had no take downs and didn't ride him for 1 second. Snyder ran out of time or he would have finished that 1rst period attempt in all likelihood, plus he rode him for over a minute. I give Burak that he is "on the level" right now, but no way is there evidence he is actually better. The evidence tilts the opposite way. 

- Burak seems to be the smarter wrestler

- He was on just as many shots as Snyder.

- He Never had a chance to ride him and probably would have ridden him or at least 15 second if not the whole period, he is strong on top.  

- Snyder looked gassed after trying to ride Burak so hard.

My money was on Burak if they went into overtime with the look on Snyder's face.    

Edited by OtisCampbell

Sigh...

Very concerned about Hunter.  At any rate congrats to Sorenson and Burak, who made the difference.

Nothing personal with my prior Buckeye comment, Steve. I had them going unbeaten this year and have been wrong now more times than I ever expected. They can still beat PSU even with Hunter not at 100% a nd they can still do great at NCAA's. 

- Burak seems to be the smarter wrestler

- He was on just as many shots as Snyder.

- He Never had a chance to ride him and probably would have ridden him or at least 15 second if not the whole period, he is strong on top.  

- Snyder looked gassed after trying to ride Burak so hard.

My money was on Burak if they went into overtime with the look on Snyder's face.    

I honestly thought it more likely that Snyder was stunned by the "stalling" predicament he found himself in, and that was reflected in his demeanor. It required some confidence and mental strength to overcome. That was not exhibited. Maybe next time.

A lot of wrestling left, but I think there is a good chance that BoJo gets the #2 seed at NCAA's. The two guys who could prevent it are Taylor Walsh if he catches him and his cousin Isaac at Big10's due to familiarity somewhat. Dieringer won't be at Nat Duals and I don't believe BoJo will face Sulzer there either. 

Edited by TBar1977

Nothing personal with my prior Buckeye comment, Steve. I had them going unbeaten this year and have been wrong now more times than I ever expected. They can still beat PSU even with Hunter not at 100% a nd they can still do great at NCAA's. 

I know. The comment was funny, but had elements of truth. Thus the "sigh".

A lot of wrestling left, but I think there is a good chance that BoJo gets the #2 seed at NCAA's. The two guys who could prevent it are Taylor Walsh if he catches him and his cousin Isaac at Big10's due to familiarity somewhat. Dieringer won't be at Nat Duals and I don't believe BoJo will face Sulzer there either. 

Under what seeding criteria do you see BoJo having an advantage over Sulzer?

I honestly thought it more likely that Snyder was stunned by the "stalling" predicament he found himself in, and that was reflected in his demeanor. It required some confidence and mental strength to overcome. That was not exhibited. Maybe next time.

Seems he needed a visit from the team therapist between the 2nd and 3rd period to get his head straight and readjust his demeanor.