Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

What's the one move you could you never pull off?

For me, inside trip. Looked cool, but my coach never taught it. I also may not have had the best body type for it.

Runner up - lateral drop. I did have the body type for this, but never had the balls to try it in a match. Worked great on my non-wrestling friends after 6-12 beers though.

Second runner-up - leg sweep (ala Matt Lackey in the finals against Letters). When done right, it looks effortless, low risk, and makes the opponent look clumsy. Just never learned it well.

It is intersting how some moves only feel right for certain people. Head snap never felt right for me.

Boots In .... Never felt comfortable with either one or two in ... Claw, and Spiral was OK ... I preferred to be on my feet actually. I learned how to counter it, yet was never comfortable using it.

Believe it or not .... Back in the late 60's I never felt comfortable with my right arm around the waist, and left hand on the elbow... In the 6th grade, that's how we were introduced to the starting position down on the mat.

I was extremely Right Hand dominate. So I switched to a left arm around the waist, right hand on the elbow. At that time, I was one of the only kids that wrestled "left handed".

The Spladle. I could hit it on people in practice, but I never got it to work in an actual match.

My team had a problem with the Spladle. Everyone felt they could do it and would try it in matches and it would bite us in the butt and we would lose points as a result from being stupid and careless. It was all because of two brothers that actually could do the move, hit it on anyone and from anywhere, that the team thought they could to. My junior year, the oldest of the brothers hit the move in the state finals and pinned the returning state champ with it. From then on, it cursed our team. lol

Throws that require timing, set up and feel. I didn't trust the set-up, I would have to see it work, the delay made the set-up moot.

I learned lots of throws but most were timing and feel. I really wished I could do a foot sweep. While in HS, I was launched high, literally head over heels with one. The same kid hit Sean O'Day (NCAA Champ) with one in finals. It was really cool but i couldnt get the timing down to throw so high.

The Spladle. I could hit it on people in practice, but I never got it to work in an actual match.

My team had a problem with the Spladle. Everyone felt they could do it and would try it in matches and it would bite us in the butt and we would lose points as a result from being stupid and careless. It was all because of two brothers that actually could do the move, hit it on anyone and from anywhere, that the team thought they could to. My junior year, the oldest of the brothers hit the move in the state finals and pinned the returning state champ with it. From then on, it cursed our team. lol

I had the same problem on a team I helped coach once. It is really a horrible move to introduce at the high school level, because kids fall in love with it, but it creates really bad habits. The kids end up letting their opponents in on their legs all the time, with no counter. Then they are reaching over trying to grab the leg, and they end up getting taken down.

JerseyTuff and tec87 - that is sorta what happened with me. A few months prior I had watched Jesse Sundell of Ogden win his fourth State title in dominating fashion. I was at the Iowa vs All Star team classic in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at Washington high school when I witnessed Nick Simmons just dismantle Sundell. It was the first time I had ever seen the move and I immediately wanted to learn it and start using it myself. I learned it and used it in practice a lot. Even put our two time place winner in it once, but the three or four times I tried it in matches, it back fired.

Jstock - That brings up very fond memories for me. Matter of fact, it brings up some of my favorite memories of wrestling. I loved watching Heavyweights try and throw one another when they couldn't. Nothing funnier than watching too obese guys try and lock their hands around one another. At the Van Buren Classic my sophomore year there were two HWT's wrestling in the championship. Both were built like the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. The one got the other around the waist and went for the throw when his feet gave out from under him and PLOP they went on the mat.

You couldn't even see the kids face, shoulders or arms as they were buried underneath the other's mountain of fat. All you could see was his hands. The referee had no idea whether the kid was pinned or not, cause he couldn't see, but he flew down to the mat as fast as he could to call the fall. Probably scared to death that the kid might run out of air.

It was hilarious.

Metzger

A plain old head lock with a pretty back step.

A Granby for an escape. I always did the switch, sit, stand combinations and didn't have a lot of trouble from there, so I never bothered to learn the Granby, unless it was for five from a sit.

The problem with throws, spladles, rolls, or anything semi-fancy is new wrestlers see a veteran nail it and think its ok for them to do it. Then they quit the sport when they are 0-20 and have been pinned every single time.

Good point. I had a slick firemans, high crotch and granby roll that caught everyone in HS. In college none of it worked - everyone's fundamentals were just too good. Had to refocus on my doubles and stand-ups that I'd neglected for so long.

I couldn't really pull off any leg attacks. :lol:

I was a pretty good thrower tho. Loved freestyle for that reason.

yep a go to takedown beyond snap down/go behind and front headlock would have helped me a lot. Leg attacks were not my forte.

My coach from my 6th grade year until I graduated from high school was Frank Horpel, his son Chris coached at Stanford for a number of years. Frank was all throws all the time we never practiced leg attacks as a result I rarely if ever hit a double leg take down, but I could throw from just about any position.

I couldn't really pull off any leg attacks. :lol:

I was a pretty good thrower tho. Loved freestyle for that reason.

yep a go to takedown beyond snap down/go behind and front headlock would have helped me a lot. Leg attacks were not my forte.

I never had the hips for the necessary level changing. That, and I just sucked pretty bad.

Full Nelson. Apparently I tried it a couple times but I swear I was just switching halves.

Stalling. Mike Allen nailed me more than once and I swear again I wasn't stalling I was just frigging tired. Back in the day Allen ref'd one of my matches that went to OT and onto a full referee's decision. The side judges split 1-1 and Allen voted for me. Mike Allen for president!

My coach from my 6th grade year until I graduated from high school was Frank Horpel, his son Chris coached at Stanford for a number of years. Frank was all throws all the time we never practiced leg attacks as a result I rarely if ever hit a double leg take down, but I could throw from just about any position.

Sounds like a blueprint for amazing success in folkstyle wrestling.

Sounds like a blueprint for amazing success in folkstyle wrestling.

I never even wrestled a folk match until I was in eighth grade it was all Freestyle and Greco. I could not figure out why I wasn’t getting back points for crotch lifts, guts wrenches, knee tilts and why they would call me for stalling in the down position when I was just waiting for them to bring us to our feet.