Sign in to follow this  
nom

Will Tsirtsis break the record ....

For most razor thin victories?

I have been noticing the style of his wins. With all seriousness aside, I just can't resist sayin'……..they ("razor thin victories") are all logged into the W column.  News flash of the day---you say ?

Kellen Russell?  He at least leads in razor thin winning percentage

Good call. It seems like people had the same things to say about Russell in his jr/sr years as they say about Tsirtsis now.

What a spoiled wrestling society it has become nowadays. Guys like Taylor, Ruth, Stieber, JO, ect.. come along and dominate and people just expect the same out of EVERY top guy in the weight. Doesnt happen. The guys mentioned above are freaks of nature. That kind of domination just cant happen at every weight. I have no less respect for Tsirtis than I do any other NCAA champ. Guy is nails

He reminds me so much of Nate Gallick.  I will say again Tsirtsis is in on so many shots but can't finish against Clagon and Grothus you can tell their length really gives him fits.  He needs one more move than the sweep single.  Grothus is like a leach once somebody gets in on his legs.  

Don't know if my stats check out for sure ... but Taylor seemed to beat the same guy Dake wrestled by a wider margin of victory, but we all saw the result of the Taylor/Dake matchups. I see Dake as more of a thinner edged winning strategist, if you will. But the guy was dang near perfect as such.

I guess all I am trying to say is that margin of victory does not detract from the overall "quality" of a great wrestler with a high winning percentage record. If Tsirtsis runs the table from here on out, he will be one loss shy of Dake and as many NCs thus inserting himself into an all-time great conversation. (in my long sighted/optimistic opinion)

I only use Dake to compare as I think the two will have comparable collegiate careers. Not trying to knock Dake at all, in fact, just the opposite. Dake is one bada$$ son of a gun.

The difference between Dake and Tsirtsis is that Dake was one of the very best top guys ever. When you can escape from anyone and you can ride anyone, you have a huge edge in tight matches. HUGE. Tsirtsis can't even even ride Grothus or true freshman BJ Clagon. He is playing with fire by letting matches go to OT.

Also, Dake gets a bad rap for close matches, but look at his track record a little more carefully. The majority of the time, he beat the crap out of his competition, especially in his last two years when he improved immensely. Not saying you said this, but the notion that all he did was win razor thin matches is a total fallacy.

A much better comparison is Kellen Russell.

I am not knocking Tsirtsis. Any NCAA champion certainly deserves my insignificant respect. But the comparison to Dake isn't really a good one.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

what's interesting to me is that in most team sports that i can think of, the winner in OT is usually determined by luck. this means that being able to win the close games in a sport like baseball is not a team skill or ability. you can't predict a team will win in extra innings based on past performance, and a team with a lot of either close wins or loses can be expected to see that ratio regress to the mean in the future. 

however i suspect that in an individual sport like wrestling, a particular wrestler may have developed a skillset that allows him to have advantages in OT, especially with the particular set of rules in place at the collegiate level. 

We should probably expect Tsirtsis to regress some no matter what, but keeping it close and going for the win in OT may also be a winning strategy for him. be interesting to see if there is any research on this, maybe in tennis? 

Habat should not have turned back into Tsirtsis 2x in the OT rideout. Not with Tsirtsis hanging onto his left ankle like that. Also, when the top man instantly goes for the ankle in the rideout, I think he is trying to just burn clock. Tsirtsis did this twice in that OT period. 

Don't know if my stats check out for sure ... but Taylor seemed to beat the same guy Dake wrestled by a wider margin of victory, but we all saw the result of the Taylor/Dake matchups. I see Dake as more of a thinner edged winning strategist, if you will. But the guy was dang near perfect as such.

I guess all I am trying to say is that margin of victory does not detract from the overall "quality" of a great wrestler with a high winning percentage record. If Tsirtsis runs the table from here on out, he will be one loss shy of Dake and as many NCs thus inserting himself into an all-time great conversation. (in my long sighted/optimistic opinion)

I only use Dake to compare as I think the two will have comparable collegiate careers. Not trying to knock Dake at all, in fact, just the opposite. Dake is one bada$$ son of a gun.

If I understand you correctly, your "if" consists of a scenario where Tsirtsis is going undefeated for 2 1/2 years while not being able to go undefeated the current 1 1/2 years under his belt?   Is this correct?  

Sir, are you mad?