Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Jan 18 - Ness (MN) vs Martinez (IL)

Don't count out martinez. Kid looks tough. Just teched kelly in the second like it was nothing. Not saying he's better than ness, but he'll be in the match.

Agree. Martinez is looking great. Ness is dangerous and can always hit a big move for a fall, but  if Martinez can avoid getting pinned, I think he has a decent chance to win.

I hate this, I hate this, I hate this.  The entire dual season is a farce.  Why, you ask?  Because the only thing that matters is getting a good seed at B1G.  I'm sure J will say that Ness is a little "dinged up".   Isn't that the excuse that every head coach uses.  And I'm sure that he'll be just fine for the next dual.   Wrestling needs to be changed top to bottom.  A shorter season, a dual component that actually matters, no time limit on their feet sudden death in overtime, etc, etc.

I hate this, I hate this, I hate this.  The entire dual season is a farce.  Why, you ask?  Because the only thing that matters is getting a good seed at B1G.  I'm sure J will say that Ness is a little "dinged up".   Isn't that the excuse that every head coach uses.  And I'm sure that he'll be just fine for the next dual.   Wrestling needs to be changed top to bottom.  A shorter season, a dual component that actually matters, no time limit on their feet sudden death in overtime, etc, etc.

Has Ness missed any other meet? Step off your soapbox and get over it. Good luck to Ness. I want him 100% for B10 and D1's.

I agree with everything here. Maybe this year is just an anomaly but it seems like there have been a ton of elite match ups that haven't happened this year due to 'injuries'. I hope this season isn't a precursor of things to come in subsequent seasons but I have a feeling it is. It's not fair to the guys that grind through the entire season and don't miss matches to have to come up against someone who may be dinged up a little or has not wrestled all year, and all of a sudden show up to conference fresh as a daisy and ready to go. Not to mention the duals suck because the top matches aren't happening. All this from a sport that is trying to gain popularity because it is 'dying'.

There needs to be some sort of penalty for individuals that miss duals within their conference - injured or not, and I think the answer is, make every single one of the guys who didn't wrestle in every single one of their team's conference duals go through the initial rounds against each other, and give all of the aforementioned grinders byes. That way there could truly be no way of protecting a seed - the elite guys who are trying to protect their seed would have to meet up with the other elite guys who are doing the same thing. It provides incentive to go out and wrestle all of your opponents, win or lose, like little Tomasello there.  

I agree with everything here. Maybe this year is just an anomaly but it seems like there have been a ton of elite match ups that haven't happened this year due to 'injuries'. I hope this season isn't a precursor of things to come in subsequent seasons but I have a feeling it is. It's not fair to the guys that grind through the entire season and don't miss matches to have to come up against someone who may be dinged up a little or has not wrestled all year, and all of a sudden show up to conference fresh as a daisy and ready to go. Not to mention the duals suck because the top matches aren't happening. All this from a sport that is trying to gain popularity because it is 'dying'.

There needs to be some sort of penalty for individuals that miss duals within their conference - injured or not, and I think the answer is, make every single one of the guys who didn't wrestle in every single one of their team's conference duals go through the initial rounds against each other, and give all of the aforementioned grinders byes. That way there could truly be no way of protecting a seed - the elite guys who are trying to protect their seed would have to meet up with the other elite guys who are doing the same thing. It provides incentive to go out and wrestle all of your opponents, win or lose, like little Tomasello there.

Are you new to D1 wrestling?

Has Ness missed any other meet? Step off your soapbox and get over it. Good luck to Ness. I want him 100% for B10 and D1's.

If you want him 100% for conference and the big tournament, then why not just have him do the bare minimum all year? A guy like Ness who uses 'trick moves' (not being derogatory, just saying he above everyone else has that element in his wrestling) has a lot to gain from staying out of tough matchups until the conference and NCAA tourney, when it matters most.

If you want him 100% for conference and the big tournament, then why not just have him do the bare minimum all year? A guy like Ness who uses 'trick moves' (not being derogatory, just saying he above everyone else has that element in his wrestling) has a lot to gain from staying out of tough matchups until the conference and NCAA tourney, when it matters most.

You mean avoiding tough matches like which? He's been an ironman this year compared to previous. Ask Green if Ness avoids tough matchups.

My opinion: If Martinez and Ness have the same/similar record going into the B1G Tournament, Martinez gets the higher seed because he wrestled in the head to head dual.  That might change the way coaches/wrestlers approach tough match-ups in duals.    

I call Gophers loss tomorrow.  Ness is still my favorite wrestler of all time.