Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Jan 18 - Ness (MN) vs Martinez (IL)

tommy, I've suggested that, for RPI purposes, matches in duals be tied to the weight class, rather than the individual wrestler (matches in tournaments would still be tied to the wrestler). The idea, of course, would be to encourage coaches to have their best wrestlers participate in duals, of course, because if the backup loses, they hurt the starter. The only issues I see to this are (a) what if a wrestler moves weights in mid-season, and (b) would this encourage coaches to schedule fewer duals, which would, IMO, hurt the sport.

tommy, I've suggested that, for RPI purposes, matches in duals be tied to the weight class, rather than the individual wrestler (matches in tournaments would still be tied to the wrestler). The idea, of course, would be to encourage coaches to have their best wrestlers participate in duals, of course, because if the backup loses, they hurt the starter. The only issues I see to this are (a) what if a wrestler moves weights in mid-season, and (b) would this encourage coaches to schedule fewer duals, which would, IMO, hurt the sport.

I like this, but, unfortunately it won't happen.  And RPI, as useful as I think it is, does not determine seeding in either qualifying or NCAA tournaments.

There are many reasons a wrestler is left out of a match. If they are ill does it really make sense to wrestle and infect another team? If missing a match will lower a wrestler in the rankings, then wrestlers might as well wrestle sick and infect their opponent. What if they have a skin condition? If missing a match will lower a wrestler in the rankings, then a wrestler might as well hide it and pass it on. If they are injured does it really make sense to continue to aggravate it or should the wrestler allow it to heal?

Here is a quote from this mornings Mpls paper "One of the top matches will be at 157 with Gopher senior Dylan Ness (21-0) vs. redshirt freshman Isaiah Martinez (19-0).   I don't know whether Ness will wrestle or not but it doesn't look like the plan was to avoid Martinez.

Disappointing that this match won't happen. Not completely surprised though because Ness looked terrible leaving the mat after his last match, walking like an 80-year old man and looking like he had tweaked his back.

O h well. Maybe the gophers 125ers will tempt Delgado to wrestle today.

I just think Dylan made decision to stay fundamental and win a National Championship . Martinez not going back off and Ness may be in for a pin today!

Ugh not going happen! just read!

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

So how would a dual system get Ness in the lineup? Are wrestlers going to be less susceptible to injury?

Would JRob force an injured Ness to wrestle today if their was a dual system and if so, would that be good for our sport?

Would JRob force Ness to wrestle if it's pretty clear Minnesota will win without Ness?

I think it's pretty clear if we had a dual championship coming up in a few weeks, Ness would still be sitting, in fact wouldn't it be more likely since JRob would want him a 100%. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger