Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky_Mudflap

Whos Hot Whos Not Midlands

Caballeros such a good time there to Midlands sharing fellowship and talking about the worlds oldest and gratest sport seeing all my old friends and watching wrestling at the gratest tourney until Nattys friends hooked up with my old friend Perry hes turned that program around met up with some big old gal and had ourselves a hog roast out to the stabin cabin sure am sorry to those of you what got offended at the mat.com posters party sure you mix hot blood fast women and cheap whisky your gonna have problems lets let bygones be bygones and get to the whos hot whos not from the Voice of Wrestling.

Whos Hot

My old friend Mike Evans sure he had a tough time scoring but he had some tough matches and came thru had some words with some of them gents punished them reel good Mike Evans your a dark horse for the title wrestling your best ever.

Taylor Walsh learnt from his mentor Simmons about the finer points of headlocks but sure is turning them out one fall after another you gotta admire him gents its pin or be pinned we need more like this one turn the sport around.

Jack Deckhoes one tough hombre and he wrestles gents its a pleasure to watch need more wrestling like this.

Borats on a roll Tommy if you redshirt this guy this year abandon hope of winning a title sure his knees shot but hes got the heart of a lion eye of the tiger real thinking wrestler that takedown on Mccall was a thing of beauty.

Bobby Telford got one on McMullin Bobby lets see if you can pull it off when it counts at Nattys but you gotta say for a gent that dont got no one to work out with in the room and it shows he gassed big time with Medbury but still he got it done Bobby Telford Im doffing my cap to you.

Perry your putting that Illinois program back on the mat despite Heffernan but still you got that program stacked your a force to be reckoned with your futures all ahead of you starters and redshirts some reel tough hombres watch out this is the surprise team for the B1G.

Patrick Downey sure he didnt place but he won three matches the bromance with him and KJs cooled down Downeys getting his AA from Iowa Central then thinking about getting back to the OTC take a good long look coaches hes a get well pill but hes got more baggage than Amtrak.

Whos Not

Mccoys got my vote for worst coach for sleep walking thru the tourney gents get him some Nodoze or get him a hammock put me to sleep just watching him act like you care Mccoy your joining Minkle in the battle for the basement your gonna have the honor of finishing 14th in the B1G but Minkles aint gonna make it easy.

Gilman for getting to finals and not making one offensive move then losing he should be ashamed of hisself.

Tsurtsus for winning the title on two overtime matches hes riding for a fall you heard it hear first chaould have handed the medal back to someone who wrestles.

Stoll goes 1-2 needs to trim off about forty and then add 20 back as muscle then work on his footwork and get some agility hes a project gents not a progidy.

Devin Carter looks burnt stick a fork in him gents hes done looks like a hole entire different wrestler.

Iowas offense in general they couldnt buy a takedown more or less the gratest coach of the worlds oldest and gratest sport Dan Gable was shaking his head Tommy time to go back to the drawing board get a cure quick or its gonna be a reel long year.
Edited by Kentucky_Mudflap

I'd say the Midlands Tournament is not hot. Take Evans for instance. He has two Midlands titles and the highest ranked guy he had to beat was Brunson, who was just inside the top 10 and who had jumped two weight classes. Who was the next highest rated guy he had to beat last year? Hammond? Not sure, but it wasn't anyone in the top 10. 

Right now I think a Cliff Keen title is harder to win. More of the top wrestlers there than at Midlands. 

If you want a Not Hot individual wrestler, then I'd go with Nick Moore. 

Midlands is solidly a second rate in-season tournament. I'd say Vegas and obviously the scuffle are on another tier. 

Can someone do a breakdown like has been done in the past? Obviously team-wise you may be right but I think this year most of the weights had a very solid representation on a individual level at Midlands. 

As far as Las Vegas being better than Midlands there are no redshirts or post grads in the tournament correct? If that is the case just the addition of that talent pool to the Midlands probably tips the scale in their favor. 

157, 174, and 197 were beyond weak this year. Midlands is a shadow of its former self. The Scuffle is the new Midlands.

That said, 141 and 184 had some good competition this year.

It may be a shadow of itself, but it is not 2nd tier to Las Vegas. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Can someone do a breakdown like has been done in the past? Obviously team-wise you may be right but I think this year most of the weights had a very solid representation on a individual level at Midlands. 

I believe CLKV had a lot more top guys. Not sure if this qualifies as "analysis", but this is what I saw watching out mainly for Iowa wrestlers

125 Gilman faced exactly 1 top 20 ranked wrestler using Intermat Rankings. Joey Dance.

133 - Clark faced #7 Richards, #17 Sabatello plus former AA Garnett. That is an "OK" slate of competition, but not a great one. 

141 - Jeva faced 1 ranked wrestler. The champion at this weight, Port, faced 2 ranked wrestlers, the aforementioned Mecate, ranked 9th, and Devin Carter. Carter and Port were not really challenged uintil they met each other. 

149 had Tsirtsis and Habat who are ranked 1 and 3. The next highest ranked wrestlers are Sorenson at #10, Cobb at #11. and Richardson at #12. Durso is also in there. If Grothus were ranked he'd be in that #10 to #15 range as well. 

157 I Mart, Pack, and Staudenmeyer are ranked 9th, 14th, and 18th. Those are your ranked guys. Kelly took 3rd and faced only 1 ranked guy, I Mart. 

165 had Walsh, Nick Moore, Harger, Morse, Tristan Warner and Fierro, ranked 5, 7, 8, 12, 14, 16. Walsh won beating the #12 and then the #8 ranked guy. Moore from Iowa beat Fierro 4-3, but then lost to Harger and Morse. 

174 Evans won and his top ranked opponent was Brunson who is ranked 8th. He faced no other ranked wrestlers. 

184 was a good weight with Thomas, Dechow, Brooks, Gabel, Bernstein, Zillmer, Avery, Robertson and Nicco Rayes all being ranked. This was probably the best weight class overall. 

197 Burak had to beat 2 ranked wrestlers, Haught #20 and McCall #14. Not exactly a minefield. 

Hwt had the #1, #3, #5 and #7 wrestlers, so that is pretty good at the top. 

I agree. On an individual level there was a good amout of talent with probably the exception of 174 and 157 and it seemed to bring a mix of teams that do not face each other a lot. 

I mean it is not like Illinois, Northwestern, Edinboro, VT are not chopped liver.

If you look at Intermat's tournament rankings there are 9 of the top 25 teams at Midlands (1,5,9,10,14,17,19,23,24) and 10 at the Scuffle (3,4,6,7,8,12,14,18,20,25)

Scuffle is tougher this year but not by much and really it would only take 1 or 2 teams switching back to Midlands to shift it back into Midlands favor.

i liked the mix the Midlands had this year. room for more talent sure i guess but nothing looked weak to me.

complain if you want but i thought it was a great success. 

Yeah. Good thing to note. 

They thought enough of him to have him wrestle in the All Star match.  

174 was pretty weak but wasn't void of any talent. It did have #2 Evans, Gutches, #9 Brunson, #14 Julson, #19 Jackson, Meyers who has beat the Okie State starters, John Sebastion who is pretty highly touted, and 28 other Division 1, for the most part, guys who were not just rolling over and  pinning themselves. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Why do we always have to compare tournaments and the quality? Who really cares what tournament is "better" than the other? I've been to both the Midlands and the Scuffle multiple times. One tournament can't solve everyone's needs. We have three really good in-season individual tournaments with the CKLV, Midlands and Scuffle. 

Only thing I'm finding a problem with is no one's attending them. There's three opportunities for us as a fanbase to attend and watch great individual tournaments, but as of now, we attend TWO -- the Big Ten's and the NCAA's. 

The implementation of the video boards combined with Trackwrestling made this year's Midlands the smoothest ever since I've been covering/announcing the event. 

if youre the number 1 seed at the NCAAs you might only see 2 other top 20 wrestlers in the tournament. an inseason tournament that has over 1/3 of the top 25 teams plus non D1 competitors, plus post grads and RS is plenty tough imo.

you probably don't even want it that much tougher, lest you diminish the specialness of our sacred and holy season ending cash cow tournament. 

Oh and you just happen to forgot to mention he had the #1 ranked guy at his weight.  Would love to see how you would have spun this if Guilbon could have managed to replicate this accomplishment. 

The Maryland kid that has given Guilbon fits didn't even place in this "OK" field.  

133 - Clark faced #7 Richards, #17 Sabatello plus former AA Garnett. That is an "OK" slate of competition, but not a great one. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Oh and you just happen to forgot to mention he had the #1 ranked guy at his weight.  Would love to see how you would have spun this if Guilibon could have managed to replicate this accomplishment. 

He didn't face that #1 guy, and I told you I was looking at this from watching the Iowa guys mostly. Everyone know Schopp was there. Hey, you were the one asking about the quality of the tournament. And I didn't even claim it could definitely be called an analysis.

"Can someone do a breakdown like has been done in the past?"

Or did you already forget that question you posed? 

Edited by TBar1977

He didn't face that #1 guy, and I told you I was looking at this from watching the Iowa guys mostly. Everyone know Schopp was there. Hey, you were the one asking about the quality of the tournament. And I didn't even claim it could definitely be called an analysis.

"Can someone do a breakdown like has been done in the past?"

Or did you already forget that question you posed? 

Did I ask you to break a tournament down by how many ranked guys a highly seeded Iowa team faced?  That would be one of the dumbest way to breakdown the depth of a tournament.  

I was thinking maybe listing out the # of ranked guys in each weight along with notable post grads, non-d1 guys, and redshirts at each tournament.  Which is how any person not trying to paint a biased picture against Iowa and Midlands would have interpreted what I said.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

Otis and Jaroslav, I agree. On the whole Midlands is a very tough and entertaining tournament. 

While the Scuffle may have surpassed Midlands overall in the last few years, before calling Midlands "weak" or picking out 1 or 2 weights, look at the bigger picture. Here were Intermat rankings of top 10 guys in Midlands prior to the start (plenty more if counting top 20):

125  #1,4,6,9

133  #1,4,7

141  #2,3,6,9

149  #1,3,10

157 #9

165 #4,7,8

174 #2,9

184 #2,4,8,10

197 #6,8,10

Hwt  #1,3,5,7

Some talented non d1 guys (Wright, Martinez, Schuessler, Gutches all ranked #1 or 2 in naia) also participated, 

plus RS, post grads (and in years past, occasionally a HS phenom) - Garnett, Micic, Durso, McKenna, to name a few.

Weak?   No way.

There were 33 All-Americans in the Midlands field across all Divisions. 17 in Division I, 16 in D2, D3 and the NAIA, which also didn't include Downey, who's got a junior world silver medal to his credit. There was also a Greco-Roman world teamer (who counted in that D3 AA tally as a postgrad) and a University World Greco-Roman silver medalist. 

Pretty diverse field.

The Scuffle is the largest Division I only tournament outside of the NCAA Division I Championships. Last year, the Scuffle had 327 entries. The NCAAs has 330. That's one of the unique things about the Scuffle, it's D1 only (with the inclusion of the Finger Lakes guys, who are D1 recruits, but in that "off year" type of thing).