Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky_Mudflap

Whos Hot Whos Not Midlands

Did I ask you to break a tournament down by how many ranked guys a highly seeded Iowa team faced?  That would be one of the dumbest way to breakdown the depth of a tournament.  

I was thinking maybe listing out the # of ranked guys in each weight along with notable post grads, non-d1 guys, and redshirts at each tournament.  Which is how any person not trying to paint a biased picture against Iowa and Midlands would have interpreted what I said.  

I did not have all of that handy, and wasn't going to go to the effort to find it when you could have done that for yourself. I gave you what I had, no more or less. You didn't like it, but you hardly ever like anything that comes from any Penn State fan so my feelings are not hurt.

BTW, the only time I ever, and I mean EVER, see this question arise, is from an Iowa wrestling fan. You just don't hear Penn State fans, or Cornell fans, or any other fans asking this question as it relates to the Southern Scuffle. They just accept the Scuffle for what it is. This isn't even a question I would have ever thought about had not Iowa fans posted about it on HawkeyeReport and here in the context of the Midlands no longer being the top in season Tournament. 

My post was also made with the thread starting subject in mind. You know, that item that the thread was made about. Who is hot, and who is not, at Midlands? If you think about this even a little, even you could see that my post sort of lends itself to that question. 

EDIT: BTW, you should feel flattered that my main interest at Midlands was your guys. But noooo. LOL.

Edited by TBar1977

Yeah

BTW, the only time I ever, and I mean EVER, see this question arise, is from an Iowa wrestling fan. You just don't hear Penn State fans, or Cornell fans, or any other fans asking this question as it relates to the Southern Scuffle. They just accept the Scuffle for what it is.

I just watched the first half of the finals on BTN. Through 149 I count exactly 3 offensive scores total in over 30 minutes wrestling. No idea if the second half of the finals is more exciting (not following the tournament at all) but wow. That's bad.

Totally agree with Mudflap's OP regarding Taylor Walsh and Tom Gilman.

Wow, Walsh is just amazing to watch, time after time. Just fearless out there. Love his attitude - wish more NCAA wrestlers would stop being so tentative and break out their offense. IMO, too many outstanding wrestlers don't open it up, and then they end up losing anyway. 

On that note, yeah, I was totally disappointed in Gilman's lack of offensive effort against Dance. Was really looking forward to our Jr World medalist putting up some "world class" points in the finals. (Not disrespecting Dance here, the kid's a stud. Congrats Joey!)    

Needs something all right. I always look forward to college wrestling on BTN but so far this year I can't make myself finish a broadcast. I realize that my dislike if riding probably stems from my freestyle background and my relative ignorance of folk style ground technique, but I couldn't even bring myself to watch the standup.

This probably isn't the place for in in depth rule discussion, but it struck me that college wrestling rules do a ton to encourage a superior wrestler to light io a weaker one, but little to encourage closely matched opponents to open up.

I thought the Carter v Port match was very entertaining. I hate the way it turned out as a VT guy but it was a hell of a match. Carter was close to takedowns at least 4 times and Port was close on a couple before he finally got the go-behind in the 3rd. The lack of scoring in that match wasn't due to a lack of action and it was far from boring.

Kentucky_Mudflap, isn't this persona kinda ran into the ground and now time to reincarnate? Obviously you're slipping given your feigned grammar but yet need to edit your original post. It's time to give this up cuz this schick is old.

Jason,  Midlands is usually well attended.  Was attendance down this year?  Not all sessions are packed house but for a tournament that lands during the week most of the time it seems pretty good.  The year Iowa was not there attendance was down it seemed.  I did not got this year.

I agree Port and Carter was a great match.  The score may not have been 10-9 but lots of action and great defense.  

Here is a breakdown of ranked guys at the scuffle

This was just going off the pre-seeds not the actual brackets and using intermat rankings.  And its possible there are some AAs I didn't see or forgot about

125: #2, #3, #5, #10, #11, #12, #15, #17, #20
4 AA
133: #5, #6, #8, #10, #13, #14, #15, #18, #20
2 AA
141: #8, #10, #13, #14, #17 #19, #20
0 AA
149: #2, #4, #7, #9, #13, #14, #15, #17
2 AA
157: #2, #3, #4, (Minnoti) #8, #10, #12, #15, #17, #19
5 AA
165: #1, #2, #6, #13, #15, #20
2 AA
174: #1, #4, #5, #7, #16, #18, #20
3 AA
184: #1, #3, #7, #9, Nolan Boyd, #15, #16, #19,
2 AA
197: #1, #3, #4, #5, #9, #12, #15, #16, #18, #19
4 AA
HVY: #4, #6, #8, #14, #16, #19
1 AA

25 AA
Edited by LoStNuMbEr

Midlands is still a very tough tournament there is no doubt, but its not even in contention with the scuffle anymore imo.  Overall the scuffle has better top ranked matchups, and signifcantly stronger depth. Look at how many #10-20 guys are entered in at these weights.  I haven't compared to Midlands, but

Also, most of the top teams attend the scuffle with the exception of Iowa really.  The 25 returning AA's at this years scuffle vs 17 at midlands is deceptive when you consider all the talented guys who will likely AA for the first time this year.

Garret
Earl Hall
Nico

Morrison
Roth
Thorn
Mango

Dardanes
Ugi
Nevinger
Henderson
Retherford

Dardanes
Kindig
Houdashelt

Dieringer
Pena
Realbuto
Bradley
Ian Miller
Dylann Ness

Taylor
Moreno
Sulzer
Zilverberg
Caldwell

Perry
Wilps
Storley
Brown

Ruth
Thomas
G Dean
Steinhaus

Schiller
Rosholt
Meeks
McIntosh
Jden Cox
Kyven Gadson

Nelson
Marsden
Johnson
Gwiz

Scuffle had 44 guys last year that had either aaed previously or ended up AAing that year.  Granted that number will probably take a dip with no MN at the scuffle this year.  For the record, I didn't run the numbers, but Midlands was MUCH better last year as well, especially at the lower weights

It somewhat misleading to not factor in the non-d1 talent and post grads in when you are throwing these numbers around. Also there will be plenty of first time All Americans out of the Midlands field I am sure.  

Scuffle this year is still probably a tougher tournament but not by much and at some weights not at all. 

Also, most of the top teams attend the scuffle with the exception of Iowa really.  The 25 returning AA's at this years scuffle vs 17 at midlands is deceptive when you consider all the talented guys who will likely AA for the first time this year.

Edited by OtisCampbell

I thought the Carter v Port match was very entertaining. I hate the way it turned out as a VT guy but it was a hell of a match. Carter was close to takedowns at least 4 times and Port was close on a couple before he finally got the go-behind in the 3rd. The lack of scoring in that match wasn't due to a lack of action and it was far from boring.

Maybe the most entertaining match of the tournament!!! A LOT of really good wrestling. Offensively and defensively.