Sign in to follow this  
Cletus_Tucker

AGON rumors

I like that the event takes place two weeks out from nationals to sustain wrestling buzz for a little longer, but am wondering if coinciding the match with the basketball Final Four in Indy (or even the postseason NIT) is better or worse in terms of fan attendance and media coverage... not to mention that it's the day before Easter.

Maybe it makes no difference - I have no idea. But I like the idea of kicking-off a wrestling "postseason" right after NCAAs like this! Hopefully this can be the first in a series of postseason matchups.

I like that the event takes place two weeks out from nationals to sustain wrestling buzz for a little longer, but am wondering if coinciding the match with the basketball Final Four in Indy (or even the postseason NIT) is better or worse in terms of fan attendance and media coverage... not to mention that it's the day before Easter.

Maybe it makes no difference - I have no idea. But I like the idea of kicking-off a wrestling "postseason" right after NCAAs like this! Hopefully this can be the first in a series of postseason matchups.

the mainstream press coverage will remain the same no matter when it will be held. it will be zero regardless. 

Ya think?

Yes.   It should be very close.  A 4-3 type match.  Pico has just barely scratched the surface of his potential.    By next year he dominates Metcalf.  Right now, he's only just broken on to the senior world scene and despite beating a recent world champion, he's still developing and has MUCH to improve on and leg attacks to develop in.   But given his will to win and Metcalf having so much video out there available to scout, Pico controls Brent and wins via tactics.   Next year he dismantles him via superior technical execution.  

I agree that the sky is the limit for Pico.  But given his age, at this point it is difficult to predict how much more he will grow and how this will affect the wight class he competes in.  Right now his height and physique fit well for 66KG, but that can change by 2016 (and certainly beyond).  Assuming the weight classes stay where they are, he may end up a natural for 74KG.  My fear is that he ends up a "tweener" and is forced to make a tough cut to 66KG or give up size to go up to 74KG.  Growing even 1" means a lot to this equation -- in addition to the natural weight gain that comes with age and physical maturity.

I don't think he will have much interest competing at 70KG this (certainly not this year).

This whole issue may affect his success internationally more than making the US team.

Edited by Angry_Fish

Metcalf wins 20-0. The two ways to takedown Metcalf are:

1) Shoot

2) Let him shoot and defend for more than 4 seconds

Pico will do neither, but will try to snap down Metcalf. Soon the Califonia "Kid" will learn that you can't snap down a Hawkeye. 

It's great that both Metcalf and Pico will wrestle at the Yarygin next week. Interesting to see what weight Pico enters at.

As far as Metcalf's technique, sure, most of his opponents probably know the Hi-C's coming, and some can stop it, but most can't. Just talking as a fan here, but I think Brent should break out the kitchen sink more often. He's been around the block now (actually the whole world now), and he's shown a lethal front headlock and some other upper body stuff once in a while. Wish he'd go to that well more often, then the Hi-C's would really open up.

Not a coach, just sayin this as a huge fan of Metcalf. (Ahem, Pico too. Both excellent wrestlers.)

Metcalf wins 20-0. The two ways to takedown Metcalf are:

1) Shoot

2) Let him shoot and defend for more than 4 seconds

Pico will do neither, but will try to snap down Metcalf. Soon the Califonia "Kid" will learn that you can't snap down a Hawkeye.

3) According to Iranian wrestler in the last freestyle world cup : clinching + foot sweep

I saw this on another board, posted by a guy known to have inside info.   Anyone else hearing anything like this?[/size]

Hearing a rumor AGON WC @AaronPicoUSA v @BHMetcalf at Carver Hawkeye Arena April 4th will be announced this wknd. Possibly on SPIKE TV LIVE. Other names talked about for the AGON event include 5x World Champion @HGatsalov Denis Tsargush and Russian phenom Abdulrashid Sadulaev[/size]

Any word on this event, or did it fall through?

Any word on this event, or did it fall through?

I heard it's been moved to Cedar Rapids, IA

Matches:

Pico vs Metcalf

Welch vs St. John

Cejudo vs Ramos

I tweeted at AGON, they said they were still finalizing a few matches, should be another week from when they replied before details come out.

All the guys coming out to wrestle for the fans should be commended. Thank you Hawks and Metcalf for wrestling anyone no matter how much you have to lose. Metcalf is at the top and is not sitting at home waiting for trials. Much respect! NLWC pay attention, you already lost Ruth!

Edited by PRyan2012

I heard it's been moved to Cedar Rapids, IA

Matches:

Pico vs Metcalf

Welch vs St. John

Cejudo vs Ramos

I tweeted at AGON, they said they were still finalizing a few matches, should be another week from when they replied before details come out.

Nice! Thanks hawktalk3.

Nice! Thanks hawktalk3.

No problem. I have a feeling that there will be another match McDonough-Escobedo, but it's not a lock yet. I still think McDonough will wrestle someone.

I thought there was supposed to be a 4th undercard as well, but have no leads on that match.

Edited by hawktalk3

Freestyle rules are not the way to reach the general public. I don't see the big general public draw to the Olympics. If we are going to draw in average citizen then we need a hybrid that simplifies scoring and promotes action & excitement.

Freestyle rules are not the way to reach the general public. I don't see the big general public draw to the Olympics. If we are going to draw in average citizen then we need a hybrid that simplifies scoring and promotes action & excitement.

All the guys coming out to wrestle for the fans should be commended. Thank you Hawks and Metcalf for wrestling anyone no matter how much you have to lose. Metcalf is at the top and is not sitting at home waiting for trials. Much respect! NLWC pay attention, you already lost Ruth!

What's at stake for Metcalf?   I haven't heard any details.