Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Jim Gibbons on BTN

This is why we need wrestling announcers to get some recognition.  Football had Madden, basketball has Vitale, wrestling needs an announcer that adds color and recognition.  Listening to takedown radio was one of the best things about the national duals at UNI.  Gibbons has shown some nice commentating that makes it interesting to listen to and watch.  Although I really miss Ken Chertow too.  

"This is why we need wrestling announcers to get some recognition.  Football had Madden, basketball has Vitale, wrestling needs an announcer that adds color and recognition."

I would agree, but Johnson and Gibbons are NOT the guys to garner color or recognition. Find someone else.

The flo guys definitely add some energy, but I still think the 20 a month is a little steep. Or maybe just too much for the casual fan. I mean we need commentators on btn or ESPN that will engage people just checking an flipping channels.

Cliff Fretwell yes, Jim Gibbons no.

Anyone notice how many times Gibbons refers to shoe laces when announcing a dual meet?  Gibbons bloviates and is wrong as much as he's right.  Cliff Fretwell is the better option to engage all types of fans, not just the midwest old school Iowa Okla type fans that Gibbons resonates with.  Those numbers are not moving.  It's tourneys like the Scuffle and CKLV that win new fans.  It's guys like Fretwell that win new fans.

Please keep the Flo guys away from the Big 10 network.  I enjoy the wrestling season and following the Big teams.  If I had to hear all that screaming the Flo guys do I would probably stop watching.   At least to this fan, I find their style of announcing impossible to sit through.  I don't mind intensity.  I follow MMA and often times the announcers get excited.  The FLo guys just literally yell though.  Often times they aren't even saying anything.  Just yelling "ooooooooooooooooooow" in the mic.  I turn it down and then can't hear anything.  I turn it back up and they blow out my speakers with more "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW".  I really don't see how that gets fans.   

I actually find them to be knowledgeable about our sport. Sometimes funny (I said sometimes). And yes, one or the other, will occasionally roll "back in the day". That's okay. We must know where we came from in order to truly appreciate todays wrestling.

And, both Johnson and Gibbons, "bring their hips to the dance." They never forget about those hips.

Keep up the great work guys. You are a positive influence for our grand ole sport.

Cliff Fretwell yes, Jim Gibbons no.

Anyone notice how many times Gibbons refers to shoe laces when announcing a dual meet?  Gibbons bloviates and is wrong as much as he's right.  Cliff Fretwell is the better option to engage all types of fans, not just the midwest old school Iowa Okla type fans that Gibbons resonates with.  Those numbers are not moving.  It's tourneys like the Scuffle and CKLV that win new fans.  It's guys like Fretwell that win new fans.

Gibbons is rarely wrong.  He is a pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes to the sport.

Fretwell is funny and all that but when it comes to real wrestling knowledge Gibbons stomps him.

Winning fans, Fretwell may be better for this but he sounds goofy, high, and strung out most of the time to me. 

On another note, I continue to love JD Bergman. I think he's the best wrestling announcer. As a 3x AA and currently active and highly successful national team member, he is as credible and current in his knowledge as just about anyone. He has a very objective style, even though all he does is tOSU broadcasts. He has an eloquent and professional style. He is funny but does not overdo it, which will appeal to younger and older audiences alike. I would love to see more of JD on TV. 

Bergman did a great job for the Iowa - tOSU dual.  Its clear he is pulling for tOSU, but does not let that affect his call of each match, allows himself to be objective when calling the broadcast.  Very classy and knowledge, agree with above posters.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Gibbons needs to go ahead and stop saying "go ahead" before I go ahead and shoot my TV.

I'm with Skikayaker on this one, that "shoelaces up", "shoelaces down" has annoyed me for several years now.

But on the whole he's decent. Him and Johnson are lightyears ahead of the student announcers some meets have.  JD was great for the tOSU-Iowa dual.

I admire the loyalty of the Johnson-Gibbons apologists, but these guys are simply not professional enough, as broadcasters, for national television.

are you saying you don't think "no sh1t" sounds professional?