Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Marsteller at Scuffle

Chance had what has to be called a good tournament, beating Cornell's Palacio in a barn burner and pinning England of Mizzou. But watching him wrestle in the matches he lost, he looked sluggish, slow, almost bored, especially when stuck on bottom. The kid has great power and technique. But it looks like his body has none of the frenetic energy that you see in guys like James Green or his teammate Dieringer or in Palacio for that matter.

A true freshman placing 4th at a high level DI tournament is worth praise, not criticism, in my book. I will admit that he is going to need to work on certain aspects of his game, but what it saw against Palacio was not the same sluggish and bored wrestler you saw. The haters will keep hating and hopefully he continues to progress.

BTW, I I know of two true freshman who placed top 4 in Marsteller and Nolf. We're there any others?

Edited by pennsyrules

I am not sure if makes a difference or not, but this was his first matches at 165 this year as a true freshman. After months of sucking down to 157 and getting less than stellar results, he is only going to get better once he settles into 165 pounds. It was a tough tournament and all things considered, I think he did great. 

People can hate on him all they like, the bottom line is he is the real deal. Eventually when he gets a little more experience at the college level, there will be no stopping him. Next year 165 and 174 with Chance and Dierenger at the reigns, they are going to be unbeatable.

Edited by Chasden

A true freshman placing 4th at a high level DI tournament is worth praise, not criticism, in my book. I will admit that he is going to need to work on certain aspects of his game, but what it saw against Palacio was not the same sluggish and bored wrestler you saw. The haters will keep hating and hopefully he continues to progress.

BTW, I I know of two true freshman who placed top 4 in Marsteller and Nolf. We're there any others?

Tyler Berger of Nebraska was 6th at 149

Honestly, I don't understand the criticism of Chance Marstellar. Only one other true freshman out performed him at The Scuffle, so considering he has been bouncing around with weight management I'd say he fared pretty well. Like all true freshman who never were on bottom he has work to do in that area. 

I'm somewhere in-between. I don't think he going to have the monster career some predicted out of high school but he did show promise at the scuffle. 165 does look like his best weight, however height is going to be a continuing issue. Also, there is no guarantee he can beat out Chandler Rodgers next year. If that happens, then what? 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I'm somewhere in-between. I don't think he going to have the monster career some predicted out of high school but he did show promise at the scuffle. 165 does look like his best weight, however height is going to be a continuing issue. Also, there is no guarantee he can beat out Chandler Rodgers next year. If that happens, then what? 

F-T, with regards to him beating out Chandler Rogers next year, if that happens than the very first thing I will think is that Chance beat out a taller guy who was heralded in his own right coming out of h.s. Keep in mind too that Rogers was in the Scuffle and did not place, while Chance finished 4th. 

Chance losing to SR wrestlers like Walsh and Sulzer during his trueFR year isn't a major issue imo. Just part of the maturation process. 

Rodgers also lost to 2 seniors. Peyton who defeated Marsteller 8-3 and Gracey (Army) 5th who defeated Palacio 13-5 and lost to Peyton 4-3. In the end, I don't think you can take too much from the Scuffle in regard to those two. 

As a side note, Palacio had a terrible tournament. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I am not hating Marsteller. I hope he does well. But I was just trying to figure out why he is not nearly as dominant as he figured to be. Could be his power was overwhelming in high school, but not now. Could be that when challenged, he loses interest.  Could be he is a bit tired of the grind, which for him has probably gone on for many years already.

Boiling it down:

* it was nice to see Chance have a good showing at a very tough tournament.  This is the beginning of what folks expected

* 'people' are 'hard' on Chance and his showing thus far because of exactly 'how' heralded he was coming out of high school. 

There were some with their tounge's lolling around, panting like a dog in heat, wanting and yearning for Chance to be the next Cael.  Well... that ain't happening, and when folks point it out that he's human afterall, you have a thread like this... 

Chance is good... real good... and I'm happy to see that he's rebounding now at a more suitable weight.  Reminder:  He still has other 165'ers to deal with next year (presumably) as well.  4X AA... maybe... 4X National Champ?  Not a "Chance"... ;-)

Some of you don't know the difference between "hating" on someone and critiquing or evaluating someone.  If you think criticism on a message board is hating then you really need to get out more often.

This is true, but some posters on these boards take it too far. If you constantly criticize a kid every time he is brought up, constantly look to point out his flaws and losses, then you are hating. Being critical is fine but looking for opportunities to downplay someone is hating.

This is true, but some posters on these boards take it too far. If you constantly criticize a kid every time he is brought up, constantly look to point out his flaws and losses, then you are hating. Being critical is fine but looking for opportunities to downplay someone is hating.

Plus, when a certain group constantly negatively rides one wrestler then others start to defend the kid. Then those others get called kool aid drinkers and all decorum flies out the wiondow. 

Plus, when a certain group constantly negatively rides one wrestler then others start to defend the kid. Then those others get called kool aid drinkers and all decorum flies out the wiondow. 

Does that actually happen, a group ganging up on one guy?  I see it with an individual here and there, but a whole group?   

Well on certain subjects more of his defenders are cool-aid drinkers...

The only defense of Chance that I have ever engaged in, is his status as one of the all time greats in HS.  The # of wrestlers that could be ranked higher than him, based on high school performance only, can be counted on one hand.  His unique build probably aided him in HS, but it may be his achilles heal in college.  Only time will tell. 

quick_single,

regarding the OOB call on the Peterson, I thought the same thing when viewing from in the arena (that Palacio's feet were in bounds)... but then I realized that I couldn't see where Marstellar was positioned.  i.e., it is possible that Marstellar may have gone off the mat, which would have resulted in an OOB call.  keep in mind, simply touching a hand off the mat can result in an OOB call.