Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Marsteller at Scuffle

Cael faced Jenn three times after his redshirt year and teched or majored him each time, I believe.

But it may not be a valid comparison if Cael did not wrestle in tournaments that featured varsity starters (as opposed to fellow redshirts and second stringers) the way Chance did in the Scuffle.

quick_single,

regarding the OOB call on the Peterson, I thought the same thing when viewing from in the arena (that Palacio's feet were in bounds)... but then I realized that I couldn't see where Marstellar was positioned.  i.e., it is possible that Marstellar may have gone off the mat, which would have resulted in an OOB call.  keep in mind, simply touching a hand off the mat can result in an OOB call.

My understanding is that with college OOB, wrestling continues as long as one wrestler has one hand or foot IB. So even if Marstellar was completely OOB, wrestling should have continued because Palacio's feet were still IB.

Edited by quick__single

My understanding is that with college OOB, wrestling continues as long as one wrestler has one hand or foot IB. So even if Marstellar was completely OOB, wrestling should have continued because Palacio's feet were still IB.

Not if either wrestler actually reaches the edge of the mat or is in danger of hitting an obstruction like a table or mat-side scoring tower.

Now I have not watched the match in question so I can't say what did or did not happen I'm only commenting on the quoted item.

Edited by Zebra

Zebra,  that is exactly what I was trying to explain.  If Marstellar was in a position that his hand can touch the floor (off the mat), then there would be an OOB call.  This would be the only explanation that I can come up with, as Palacio's feet were definitely in-bounds. 

Along the same line, the other thing that I found interesting was that the mat side scorer's tables did not appear to allow for a 5-foot space from the outer circle on the mat (as required by the rulebook).

Along the same line, the other thing that I found interesting was that the mat side scorer's tables did not appear to allow for a 5-foot space from the outer circle on the mat (as required by the rulebook).

I've worked high school for years and see that a lot especially with re-conditioned mats which are 2 feet smaller and gyms are tighter.

The ref has discretion as to when to stop action when approaching an obstruction. It also means you have to be mindful of the pace and direction of action. Your number one responsibility is to maintain safety.