Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

197 Pounds

Very interesting weight.  While Cox, Schiller and Gadson are probably still the top trio, there's a nice group right behind who all have the ability to do big things.  And there's several wrestlers emerging with big time ability.

Top Tier:

Cox--still the top talent in part because he can ride

Gadson--one bad loss doesn't change how talented he is.

Schiller--arguably the most technically proficient wrestler at the weight

Half Step Below: 

McIntosh--coached by Cael.

Snyder--overrated as a folkstyler heading into college but closing the gap in terms of mat skills.  Needs to find an angle or two on his offensive attacks.  Wrestles hard all day.

Burak--Similar to Snyder in terms of skill set

Emerging:  

Tim McCall--all the physical talent in the world and had a win last year over Heflin.  Needs to push harder.

Campolattano:  His dual win against Iowa in his first match for Rutgers was more impressive than anything he did in two years as a Buckeye.  His attacks were more varied and he pushed himself when fatigued.  The physical talent is there.  If the head is right, he's a top eight guy.

Not sure what to make of the Duke wrestler as I haven't seen him.  Guys like Polizzi and Atwood don't really have the same level of talent as the guys I've mentioned.

My prediction for Snyder BEFORE the season started was the NCAA finals, but after a few losses, that seems now unlikely.

I agree, this weight class is still Cox's to lose. I see Gadson with him in the finals at this point.

I think with McIntosh, his biggest problem is the sheer size of both Gadson and Cox. Last year Mac handled Schiller in the Dual Meet and he seems to do just fine against most 197 pounders. Ive always thought that McIntosh shouldve been a 184 pounder though.

Campolattano:  His dual win against Iowa in his first match for Rutgers was more impressive than anything he did in two years as a Buckeye.  His attacks were more varied and he pushed himself when fatigued.  The physical talent is there.  If the head is right, he's a top eight guy.

Really, a win over Klaprodt is the most impressive?  His run through the '12 NCAA consolations his freshman year included wins over Huntley, McIntosh (8-3), and Powless (by fall),  He then lost to Yohn (4-2 OT) in rd of 12.

Whenever guys are this close in talent, I always go with the most athletic guy with one critical caveat: he has to be in 7-minute shape. If Cox shows up in peak condition, I think he is the clear pick as the favorite, considering how close the top tier is. Cox gets in trouble when he gasses or paces the match to his level of conditioning, which gives less athletic guys a chance to stay in it and even get ahead, forcing him to become more predictable from neutral as he tries to catch up. If he shows up with a 5-minute tank and tries to slow down the match to make the gas last, anybody in the top tier or half step below can (and one of them probably will beat) him.

The only guy who comes close to matching Cox as an athlete is Camp, but Camp has historically had significantly worse conditioning issues than Cox, and he is not as good on the mat.

Conner Hartmann, the Duke guy, arguably deserves to be in "half step below", or maybe full step below to be more accurate. He is a little like Schiller (a lesser version, though) in that he is very fundamentally sound and well-conditioned but will always have a tough time against top tier guys who are faster and more explosive.

McIntosh is my pick for most likely to pull a big upset. He has the most technical variety of thhe group and is also very athletic and powerful, just undersized. He suffers from the Marsteller syndrome of having a body type that doesn't match up well against the top tier but makes up for it with what he does have. He is good enough to win a 1-TD match against Cox or Gadson, and he can pull an upset of Schiller in a shootout situation.

This is indeed a great weight class this year.

I was hoping that MacIntosh would have dropped to 184 for this season.  I figure if taylor Meeks could do it Mac could (though Meeks seems to be the same guy he was at 197).  Hell from what I heard last year, Morgan had to eat often just to stay up at 197.

I honestly think that if he were at 184 he would have AAed his Fresh and Soph years!

I gotta admire the kid as a real team guy though and just wish him well.

Cox is the man to beat - he's just so solid in all three positions. I never would have guessed it by watching him wrestle at the Scuffle, but he did comment that he and the majority of the Missouri lineup was suffering from some sickness prior to the tournament. Very good interview at Flo: http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251862-2015-Southern-Scuffle/video/755807-I-Dont-Have-A-Title#.VKshSSvF8UI really shows how strong he is mentally IMO.

I was hoping that MacIntosh would have dropped to 184 for this season.  I figure if taylor Meeks could do it Mac could (though Meeks seems to be the same guy he was at 197).  Hell from what I heard last year, Morgan had to eat often just to stay up at 197.

I honestly think that if he were at 184 he would have AAed his Fresh and Soph years!

I gotta admire the kid as a real team guy though and just wish him well.

He did AA his soph year, or did you forget he took 7th last year? :) 

He wrestled as a true frosh and Qualified but DNP in 2011-2012

Redshirted in 2012-2013

Last year AA'd 2013-2014

Will likely AA this year and next year assuming he stays healthy.

When all is said and done will likely become at 3x AA for PSU.  Not too shabby.

Last year showed pretty clearly that Cox and Heflin were a step ahead of the rest. Heflin is gone and, all-star meet aside, I don't think anyones improved enough to catch up to an in shape Cox. It doesn't mean he won't get beat, but I see him as a pretty heavy favorite. In fact, I think he might be a bigger favorite to win his weight class this year than anyone whose last name doesn't make me remember 1st grade rhymes about 'i' and 'e.'

"McIntosh is my pick for most likely to pull a big upset............ He is good enough to win a 1-TD match against Cox or Gadson,"

He wrestled Cox twice last year and once this year so far, and has yet to take him down.  In the 3 matches he's been outscored 12-3, with 3 escapes.  Not saying that he couldn't potentially beat Cox, but I don't see the basis for your statement.

"McIntosh is my pick for most likely to pull a big upset............ He is good enough to win a 1-TD match against Cox or Gadson,"

He wrestled Cox twice last year and once this year so far, and has yet to take him down.  In the 3 matches he's been outscored 12-3, with 3 escapes.  Not saying that he couldn't potentially beat Cox, but I don't see the basis for your statement.

I don't see what's so controversial.

A big upset means Gadson, Cox and Schiller are out of consideration because any of them beating each other doesn't count as "big", let alone an upset at all. That leaves the rest of the field. From that group, I think MM is most likely to pull an upset.

Most likely does NOT mean likely. It's a relative term. If the field has a 1% chance of beating the top guys, if MM has a 1.1% chance, he is most likely.

As for the rest of the comment, MM has lost three times to Cox, but it's not like he was completely out of the match every time. They have generally been close scores, although controlled by Cox. Ability to ride is the main difference. I don't know why MM even bothers to choose down against Cox anymore. Last time they wrestled, he chose down and gave up a point he didn't have to. I think next time, he won't make the same stupid choice, simply conceding a point. That gives MM close to seven minutes to take Cox down from neutral, where they are pretty even. Granted, MM has to keep him down, but I could see a scenario where towards the end of the first, second, or third period, MM takes Cox down and the match ends 2-1.

Using accumulated scores is sort of a weak argument, considering one of last year's two matches was an 8-2 Cox win.  I believe Cox took Mac down twice and turned him once in that match.  

The two other matches were 2-0 last year...neither guy getting a takedown, Cox getting an escape and riding time...; and 2-1 this year, trading escapes, with Cox winning on riding time...

Although Cox is 3-0 against McIntosh; I would not conclude that Cox has been dominant against him.  One takedown for Mac changes those results.

Lax..I knew Mac took 7th last year.  I was simply stating that he would have AAed both years andI will add that if he were at 184 for 4 years he would be a 4X  AA with 1/2 Titles!  A shame that e had to use him at 197.  And, Kudos to Mac for being a team guy and not transfering.

Although Cox is 3-0 against McIntosh; I would not conclude that Cox has been dominant against him.  One takedown for Mac changes those results.

That's all David Taylor needed against Dake as well.

Until it happens, Cox has dominated him.