Sign in to follow this  
closer617

penn state v ohio state....who will win?

Ohio State is a prohibitive favorite at 141 and 165 with some bonus points in there. OSU maybe a slight favorite at 157, but Alton is capable of pinning Demas. PSU is favored at 174 and Hwt. The rest are toss ups.  

Edited by TBar1977

conaway vs tomasselo

jdj vs guilibon

stieber vs beitz

all swing matches

you know things are changing when stieber v be it is a swing match

I think hunter just needs to get in shape. A real match is different than drilling in the wrestling room....I'm picking hunter to win 11-3.....when was the last time somebody named STIEBER was 0-2

Not sure if that's a trick question Closer but Hunter is currently 0-2 so the answer is... today.

exactly. ....he just went into untouched territory. As he walked off the mat I noticed that his legs where gone. I think he will rebound in a huge way on sunday.

you know things are changing when stieber v be it is a swing match

Ugh, tell me about it

This is a must win for tOSU. A MUST WIN

125-Nato is sick of losing close matches, he finally gets a guy ranked below him (not much) and wrestles as such..tOSU by DEC

133-JDJ coming off a huge win. Dont think Jimmy falls for the dump but loses in the end by a point, prob RT...........tOSU by DEC

141-Logan needs a pin here....Logie by FALL

149-Hunter is getting a little better but still not where he needs to be, he loses another close one.....PSU by DEC

157-Demas has beat Alton before and will do it again here...tOSU by DEC

165-Bojo crushes all....tOSU by MD

174-Brown to much for Mark...PSU by MD

184-Mcutcheon wins here.......PSU by DEC

197-Kyle gets it done vs a very tough MM...tOSU by DEC

HWT-Lawson is a beast, he could pin Tav but I will say PSU by DEC

22-13 tOSU

I am really looking forward to 133 Gulibon vs. JDJ and 197 MM vs. Snyder. Both are very interesting stylistic match-ups.

Gulibon is wrestling with more focus and mental toughness this year, which means he is good in all positions but is best when there is more scoring rather than less. He usually has an edge in more open matches since he has more opportunity to score from a variety of positions. His biggest weakness is his handfighting, where he gets beat a lot by the top guys. JDJ is sort of the opposite, a stingy unorthodox wrestler who is mainly good out of a few positions that he's mastered. His strategy is often to slow a match down and keep it to "his" positions, and he is deceptively good at handfighting his way there. Can Gulibon win the handfights or threaten from the outside to open the match up and force action, or will JDJ succeed in slowing it down and attacking where he is best or not at all, trying to win from the mat?

197 is also a great matchup, hard to tell who wins. MM struggles mainly because he is not long and big enough to consistently handle the top guys. Otherwise, he has all the tools to be the man at the weight. Snyder is on the shorter side of 197 and will not present the same physical challenges that MM struggles to overcome. That said, Snyder is very fundamentally sound and keeps good position, which has historically frustrated MM. MM is best when guys give him openings to attack, being able to exploit even small positioning weaknesses to run up the score. He is not as good forcing those openings when they're not there (I attribute this in large part to the size/length issue).

Hunter Stieber and Bo Jordan are on gas tank watch. 

Hunter is obviously not in 5-minute shape, let alone 7-minute shape. I think HS senior Hunter beats 2015 Hunter. It is going to take some time to go from where he is to where he needs to be. Anyone expecting a huge difference in shape from the Iowa dual is delusional. The Hunter who showed up to wrestle at home against Iowa was at the very least a full month away from being in OK shape and at least two full months away from being in peak shape. The thing I'd look for to gauge progress is whether he gives up in the third or makes a respectable effort despite being exhausted. Against Iowa, he just flat out gave up, zero effort on that final TD.

I have to believe Jordan, being a Jordan, is actually in great shape. But I also think he gasses because he cuts too much weight, and no amount of extra conditioning will fix that. I think that's the main issue standing in between Bo and a finals appearance in March.

125:  Tomasello DEC Conaway

133:  Dijulius DEC Gulibon

141:  Stieber FALL Sacrificial Lamb

149:  Beitz DEC Languis (Stieber has to sit down for a bit, right?)

157:  Alton DEC Demas

165:  Jordan MDEC Hammond

174:  Brown DEC Martin

184:  McCutcheon DEC Courts

197:  McIntosh DEC Snyder

HW:  Tavanello DEC Gingrich/Lawson

Final Score 19-15 Ohio State

Wow. That will be quite a turnaround for Tavenello. Lawson beat him 15-4 last year. Also a pretty nice result for Martin if he can hold it to a regular decision. Last time they met, Brown beat him 16-4. 

125:  Tomasello DEC Conaway

133:  Dijulius DEC Gulibon

141:  Stieber FALL Sacrificial Lamb

149:  Beitz DEC Languis (Stieber has to sit down for a bit, right?)

157:  Alton DEC Demas

165:  Jordan MDEC Hammond

174:  Brown DEC Martin

184:  McCutcheon DEC Courts

197:  McIntosh DEC Snyder

HW:  Tavanello DEC Gingrich/Lawson

Final Score 19-15 Ohio State

125:Tomasello DEC-Ohio State 3-0

133:DiJulius DEC-Ohio State 6-0

141:Stieber PIN-Ohio State 12-0

149:H. Stieber DEC(by skin of his teeth)-Ohio State 15-0

157:Demas DEC(Alton isn't quite there yet, but he will get him in March)-Ohio State 18-0

165:BoJo M. DEC- Ohio State 22-0

174:Brown DEC- Ohio State 22-3

184:Courts DEC-Ohio State 25-3

197:McIntosh DEC-Ohio State 25-6 (Snyder still has some learning to do)

285:Gingrich/Lawson DEC-Ohio State 25-9

This could and should get ugly for PSU.  tOSU has found too many ways to lose.  It's time for them to find a way to win.

PSU is gonna win. They wrestle loose and are full of surprises. 

tOSU (with a glaring exception) is allergic to bonus points. And the only close matches they win are the ones they create by not working for bonus points. Tomasello is tough, but he's not good at winning yet. Snyder is amazing but he is a true freshmen at 197. Jordan is amazing too but even he shut down up 7-1 against nick moore. The intangibles are missing. 

Honestly three freshmen captains, even as exceptional as these three are, is not flattering for a program. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

I want PSU to win, will be some great matches.

Not sure what is up with Courts. He tries to win matches in the 3rd with a spirt of greatness. That strategy has not worked out so great for him. I would love to see him wrestle in the same shape and desire to dominate that he once had. I think he may turn up his game in this match since he is coming off a loss. He will be in his home state, will likely have lots of family and friends as well as very familiar fans, wrestling a much younger PA stud. I think he will come out guns blazing but not sure he will maintain that pace through the 3rd.