Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

What was the move that you COULD Pull off?

The move you couldn't pull off thread has been a lot of fun to read. It's interesting to hear all of the great stories that surround such a topic. How about the one move or two that you could hit on about anybody?

Nuetral = From the feet I had a mean Kelly. I was suprisingly able to hit it on quite a few guys. Even took down a state champion (who would go on to win two more titles) with it once. He of course went on to tech fall me early in the 2nd period, but I did have that one take down against him.

Top = I only won 65 career matches in four years (yes, I sucked) and out of those 65 matches I had 35 falls. I had this move from the top position that I used a lot. I'm not even sure if it has a name or not. I would get a bar on on the left side and begin to put pressure as if I was going to run it. As my opponent defended it I would throw my hips in the other direction yanking back on the arm and scooping underneath his chin pulling him to his back. I pinned a really good kid I had no business beating my senior year with that move.

Bottom = I was very hard to turn. Even really good kids had a hard time scoring backpoints on me. It wasn't so much that I was good on bottom, as much as it was that my opponents got frusturated trying to turn me with no luck. I led our team on escapes every year that I wrestled and hold the school record for escapes as well. It wasn't so much that I had a good standup as it was that people let me go all the time. I'm sure that if our school held a record for being majored, I'd probably hold that too.

I was always great at hitting a spladle. My coach called it a junk move but I always pinned people with it. I started wrestling my freshman year of high school and kinda learned it myself from a mercal position like how Nick Simmons hits it. Hit it in my go to state match my senior year!

I was extremely good at stopping the Kelly. In fact, anyone that is any good at wrestling at all should never get hit by a kelly. It is the easiest move in wrestling to stop.

I also had a knack for being able to pin the biggest fish, no matter how much they fought and flopped around. A vicious half nelson usually did the trick.

I had a pretty good granby.Now it was mainly for escape, as I didn't know the granby to 5 points techniques kids hit today, but could use it to get away vs most guys. Also, my main claim to fame in highschool as a 3 year starter was I was never pinned in my 3 years as a starter, or my freshman year as a part time starter.

I was extremely good at stopping the Kelly. In fact, anyone that is any good at wrestling at all should never get hit by a kelly. It is the easiest move in wrestling to stop.

I also had a knack for being able to pin the biggest fish, no matter how much they fought and flopped around. A vicious half nelson usually did the trick.

Would you please show me? I'd be more than obliged to learn. Matter of fact, I'd love to learn. You have yourself a willing student here Mr. Ace. All you have to do is tell me when and where the class takes place.

Sweeping outside single. Once my coach saw me get there a lot during my freshman year he just said if I could learn different finishes I'd get a lot better. On bottom I used to do this move my coach taught, you back/hip pressure in and reach back to get a whizzer in and use that to come up and out. If you strung it together it worked or if you got some unsuspecting kid who'd never seen it that worked too.

Neutral : LOW Sweeping single or Blast Double.

Bottom : Standup, and then what ever I needed to do to get away.

Top: Cradles, Cradles, Cradles.

We had no wrestling room!! icon_e_sad.gif

So we would haul the mats from the gym, down to the basement of our olde High School into the Student lounge. Push all the couches off to the side and put up a 3/4 sized mat. It was all we could fit in the room, because of the support beams .. As a result, with about 25-30 guys, we never had enough room to roll out a full mat. Nor .. really have a full mat to have wrestle offs. We did OK as a small 1A/2A team, yet our conditioning was suspect, as we never could go 100% for a full match, nor have the room. Bottom line ... we needed to pin early, as we had conditioning issues.

Wrestled in the same league as Old Dirty.

Neutral: ankle pick. Hit it on a National champ when I was in HS, but he went on to defeat me 6-4 with a 4 pt move in the last 10 secs. Still, very good match. Also a blast couble to an arm turk often got me a 5 pt move.

Top: I can't think of any great move that I had from here. I was a very strong pinner, but they normally came from the neutral position as a set-up. I had a 12 and a 7 second pin in one tournament.

Bottom: Standing roll. No one ever expected it, but I got reversal time after time with this.

Sure wish I was young enough to still pull off some of these.

I was 70-21-2 in my Pennsylvania high school wrestling career. I was a state qualifier in AAA as a Senior. A large portion of my wins were by fall, and too many of my losses were by fall. :)

Neutral:

Without a doubt, my best move was what I used to call a bar-and-chancery, which is really just one arm under the chin, and the other arm under the opponents arm and across his back throw. Andrew Alton uses it a lot (and much better than me). It really is like a cement mixer finish without the mixer. I would sometimes hit it from my feet with a back trip, but, usually used it as a counter to a double-leg attempt. My 2nd go-to was a straight double-leg takedown. I wish I had been better at an outside single, ankle pick, and duck under, but, I usually stuck with my main two moves.

Top:

I was good on top and was an old school type rider. A tight waste and bar arm was my best move. I would also jump over and run a bar and half quite a bit. Against some fish, I could use the tight waste and arm bar, knee in the side and tilt. Even got some pins out of that. I rode legs a bit, and scores with some out of it, but, often got in trouble with it for being too high.

Bottom:

This was, without question, my weakness against top-notch opponents. I started from an odd position, with my right leg curled underneath. It was unconventional, as it had me almost in a sitting position, but, it was legal. I would then sit, and either stand if pressure was pushed into me, or try to get hand control and turn out. Too many times, those initial moves didn't work, and I got myself in trouble. I wish I could do it all over again. I spent too much time trying to conserve leads on the bottom against good kids, instead of trying to get out and score more. Too many times, that got me in trouble.

Good thread....brings back some great memories. :)