Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Pfarr's last two TDs against Abounader in Minny vs. Michigan dual (rules question)

That was a fall in professional wrestling.  Minnesota got away with one here. That would have been the difference in the dual right?  

Please.  People get away with armchair quarterback video-reviewed crap all the time.   With the action unfolding, the ref still called the 2 and started counting.  Should he also magically transport himself several feet to get into a position to slap the mat?   I guess if you're saying guys get away with one here, and here, and here, and here I'm OK with that.

Only seniors scored wins in this dual. Will be hilarious if the Gophers choke again. Last chance before a 2-3 year rebuild

Is this just trolling?  I thought Penn St. was favored last few years and it was a little miraculous when the Gophers made it a contest?

Please.  People get away with armchair quarterback video-reviewed crap all the time.   With the action unfolding, the ref still called the 2 and started counting.  Should he also magically transport himself several feet to get into a position to slap the mat?   I guess if you're saying guys get away with one here, and here, and here, and here I'm OK with that.

Maybe if the ref was in shape he could have attempted to get down into position to see the fall. You could almost see him thinking about having to get down and then he makes a half assed bend down after the action if over. 

I guess just another example of poor refereeing. It kinda blows the whole argument the refs use for not calling more stalling because they don't want to interject themselves into the matches. The best way to not interject themselves into matches would be to call the matches how they should be called. Get into position when they should.  

This picture is the moment you can hear the referee say "We're neutral." You'll note that Pfarr is already into his shot and Abounader isn't even close to facing him.

czuLZOB.png

You can see for yourself in this short video. I tried to switch it to black and white at the moment you can first hear the ref's voice. 

https://vid.me/BscX

Nice work, IronChef. I just froze your video with Pfarr's arms all the way around Abounader and Abounader is still 90 degrees from facing Pfarr. Pfarr's face is in Abounaders left hip.

There is no way Abounader ever squared up and faced Pfarr. I think some people are just trolling on this. Hard troll in fact. 

I am in agreement with all the posters saying the takedowns were questionable at best. I also agree with those who believe Short was stuck. It's hard to be flatter than he was, and it was for a lengthy amount of time. My question is about the manner in which Pfarr was reversed to his back. Does anyone who actually knows the rulebook well know what is considered potentially dangerous in that position? it seems to me that the main reason it was a reversal with back points was because he torqued directly against the knee joint. If that wasn't potentially dangerous then I don't know what is.

Edited by Csadd141

I watched the match live and right or wrong it was hard to not be pulling for Pfarr.  I thought he deserved to win and for all the complaining people do on here about stalling, you all should feel that way too.  Abounader got some points early and did everything he could except wrestle after that.

And if you want to complain about the pin call, watch the Coon match again. It was only a fall if we allow touch falls.

richards had an opportunity to defend himself every time he escaped. he was just moving in slow motion during the 3rd because he was gassed and was trying to run out the clock. 

ll these "controversial" calls were very very marginal. if you leave matches up to the refs discretion this is whats going to happen. 

not that i wouldnt have liked another shot at the gophers if i was illinois. either way its all just prelude for the B1G tournament anyway. 

richards had an opportunity to defend himself every time he escaped. he was just moving in slow motion during the 3rd because he was gassed and was trying to run out the clock. 

ll these "controversial" calls were very very marginal. if you leave matches up to the refs discretion this is whats going to happen. 

not that i wouldnt have liked another shot at the gophers if i was illinois. either way its all just prelude for the B1G tournament anyway. 

Whether Richards was gassed or not is actually irrelevant. We have all seen that called no loss of control in the past, regardless of how much gas is in anyone's tank.

I agree with JH. I thought the call could've gone either way and it would've been controversial. I don't think it was blatant home cooking.

If a wrestler cuts his opponent, faces him, and then looks at the ref for confirmation of an escape while the other guy is moving in slow motion with his head down, clearly stalling to run the clock down, what is the right way to call it? I counted three Mississippis, so it's not like Dardanes cut him and then immediately pounced on him for another TD.

If I'm up and gassed and want the match to end, can I just keep my head down and run the clock down, preventing the other guy from scoring? Or is 3+ seconds after I got cut with clear separation enough to call it an escape?

Watch the sequence here

Richards was clearly trying to stall out the match in the third, not just in this sequence. His effort level was so pathetic that before the final TD, you can see in the clip I uploaded one of his coaches (I think it was Perry) pushing him towards the center of the mat after the action went out of bounds to make sure he didn't get dinged for stalling. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I agree with JH. I thought the call could've gone either way and it would've been controversial. I don't think it was blatant home cooking.

If a wrestler cuts his opponent, faces him, and then looks at the ref for confirmation of an escape while the other guy is moving in slow motion with his head down, clearly stalling to run the clock down, what is the right way to call it? I counted three Mississippis, so it's not like Dardanes cut him and then immediately pounced on him for another TD.

If I'm up and gassed and want the match to end, can I just keep my head down and run the clock down, preventing the other guy from scoring? Or is 3+ seconds after I got cut with clear separation enough to call it an escape?

Watch the sequence here

Richards was clearly trying to stall out the match in the third, not just in this sequence. His effort level was so pathetic that before the final TD, you can see in the clip I uploaded one of his coaches (I think it was Perry) pushing him towards the center of the mat after the action went out of bounds to make sure he didn't get dinged for stalling. 

I've seen guys get up a whole lot slower in the first period of matches. No comment on what Richards was doing before the sequence as it is irrelevant as to whether that exact sequence was called correctly. Ohio State could have gotten the benefit of quick escape calls when cutting a wrestler today, though it would have been uncomfortable to see.

I've seen guys get up a whole lot slower in the first period of matches. No comment on what Richards was doing before the sequence as it is irrelevant as to whether that exact sequence was called correctly. Ohio State could have gotten the benefit of quick escape calls when cutting a wrestler today, though it would have been uncomfortable to see.

I never justified the call with what was happening beforehand. I was just making an observation that was thematically relevant but had nothing to do with the call itself. I maintain that if a guy is given a full 3, maybe 4 count, and can't get his head up to face his opponent even though there has been clear separation, he is out and has escaped. Whether the ref calls it or not at that instant depends on the ref, I suppose, but I don't feel this was one of the calls that were blatantly wrong (for examples of those, see the original topic of this thread). I have seen this same situation called and not called the same way, so it was definitely not an isolated incident.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

By the way, after the double (first TD of the clip), Dardanes did the same exact thing. Separated, elevated his arms to show the ref he was cutting him, and Richards slowly moved up and out for the 1. The ref called the escape the same way, except less time transpired in that sequence than in the last escape.

Edited by wrestlingnerd