Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Garrett ducks Waters, still loses...

The other obvious point to make is that Waters and Garrett are going to be seeded 2 and 3 no matter how many times they beat each other. They both can't pass Delgado, if Delgado ever shows up to wrestle this season, and they have both beaten just about everybody else who matters for Seed 1-3 consideration. Had Waters beaten Garrett again, it would have had no impact for seeding purposes.

I do think there is a psychological factor between Waters and Garrett, though. The series is now 3-1 in Waters favor, so I'm sure Waters is not Garret's favorite guy to wrestle.

Given that Garrett HAS beaten Waters before - and pretty convincingly (6-1) - I doubt there is anything "psychological".  Garrett is a pretty competitive dude, he no doubt believes he can do it again.

Anyone consider the obvious here - maybe Waters (or anyone else) has nothing to do with this - maybe Garrett is just having trouble making the cut?

Sometimes the scale is the toughest foe!

If there was no psychological factor in the match, then why did Garrett wrestle Waters (in the finals of the Scuffle, after he had all day to recover from weigh-ins) like a deer caught in the headlights? Do you think taking one shot all first period is representative of the way Garrett normally wrestles, even against guys like Delgado?

Garrett won once, but what about the other three times and what about the last time?

Waters is not a great matchup for Garrett and he knows it, so Garrett tends to be extra cautious, to his detriment, when they wrestle. If Garrett beats him at nationals, he'll have to "forget" about Waters and just wrestle his match. If he keeps it close and lets it go to the mat, I expect the same results as the last one.

I think it's a bit premature to assume that Delgado gets the top seed; he still has the Big Ten to contend with, and also whatever issue it is that's kept him out of the line-up. How many matches must he wrestle to be given the normal seeding criteria for the NCAA tournament?

I think it's a bit premature to assume that Delgado gets the top seed; he still has the Big Ten to contend with, and also whatever issue it is that's kept him out of the line-up. How many matches must he wrestle to be given the normal seeding criteria for the NCAA tournament?

Has he wrestled any matches this year?

Waters still has Dylan Peters (#6) in the dual w/ UNI (and probably again at the MAC tournament), and possibly Gilman (#5) at the National Duals.  He's already beaten #3 Garrett, (and #4 Dance @ the All Star dual), as well as everyone else.  Other than that, I don't see him challenged this year.  If he finishes the season undefeated, how does he not get the #1 seed?  I guess if Delgado comes back fully healthy and destroys everyone, then perhaps it would be up for debate.  Illinois has 9 duals left on the year (more if they advance in the national duals), then the B10 tournament.  He (Delgado) has some serious work to do to secure that top seed