Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Talking to an opponent during a match

I know it's a different sport but I am always amused by Andrew Luck (Colts QB) version of talking during competition. He continues to complement opponents to the point where they get confused and frustrated. It's like reverse psychology trash talk.

Edited by MadMardigain

Xander- I didn't know Brinzer talked to his opponents. I could only see him correcting their technique. Do you have any Brinzer examples?

I just figured Ray had the personality to do so (he was arguably very eccentric). Just a guess. Speculation. Edited by xander

I wish I could remember who, but in high school there was a heavyweight who would basically do like a play by play while wrestling.  Like he'd get a takedown and say loud enough for anyone nearby to hear, OK got the two, gotta work this and he'd do whatever it was he was saying.  It was like he had to remind himself what he was supposed to do.  It was kind of funny, but it probably annoyed whoever he wrestled.

I do know one wrestler who got disqualified from state for using a very frowned upon racial slur in the heat of a match over what he believed was a cheap shot. 

as a freshman in college I was wrestling the kid who won state the weight above me the year before. The ref had to go to the scorers table to get his calls straightened out. So my opponent and I were on our knees about 3 feet apart.He says FU to me as I am looking at him. I patted him on the back and said."ain't this fun "john" "...... I then went on to a big lead and pinned him. That is the ONLY time someone spoke to me during a match.

My sophomore year of college I was wrestling at the WVU Open and was not happy that I had to ride in a cramped car, instead of a comfy van, because I was redshirting.  Before we left I got into an argument with our assistant about it and was still steamed the next day at the tournament.  I was wrestling my first match and the assistant was in my corner, he was yelling at me, nothing about the match but just me in general, apparently he was pissed about our previous day's exchange as well. 

The whole match I kept yelling at him to shut his mouth, and for that better not be near me when the match was over.  I was losing 6-1 and he said I was a waste of time, along with some not so nice remarks about my girlfriend. I was so mad that I wanted the match over so I got double-overs and arched my back, figuring either I was going to get stuck or stick my opponent. The ref hit the mat a few seconds later and I immediately shook his hand a literally ran straight towards the assistant as he ran out of field house.

Not talking to an opponent but having a conversation with your coach during a match, especially as colorful as ours was, was certainly memorable.

Edited by HokieHWT

Even though it isn't wrestling, I remember in one of the early UFCs when Don Frye was fighting a karate guy.  Except he was a pretty tough and scrappy guy, so Frye was punching away at him for quite a while against the fence.  It was back when they had a tournament all in one night, so Frye was trying to conserve his energy and was pummeling this guy and then would stop to tell him he should just tap out. His opponent would tell him "I can't" , then I guess the guy's cornerman was right there and shouting instructions/advice and the guy who was getting beaten to a pulp by Frye actually turned his head and told his corner to **** up very loudly and clearly.  Eventually the ref jumped in and stopped it due to the number of times Frye had punched this guy. 

I was probably about 11 or 12 when I attempted to talk during a match. The ref was Chad Crowe, a pretty well-respected freestyle ref at the time. Im sure the Short's of Minnesota remember him. Anyway, I had this kid I knew well, a rival of sorts, head locked and he was crying and indicating he was choking, but I knew he was faking it, so I said, "don't be a p***y!" Crowe blew his whistle, preventing the imminent fall, and awarded my nemesis 1 pt for unsportsmanlike conduct. I never voiced my opinion during a match again.