Sign in to follow this  
LemonPie

2014 149 the weakest weight ever?

Probably gonna have to say this year's 149, based off the fact that that "weak" champ is undefeated so far, when he wasn't last year at this time. Honestly though, Tsirtsis is tough, even if doesn't light up the scoreboard.

Edited by maolsen

I think 149 is deep.  Sorensen is by far the most active and strongest 149 besides maybe Houdashelt.  Sorensen was much more active than Habat was in that match at the midlands.  Sorensen is no fluke.  I think 149 with Houdashelt, Tsirtsis, Sorensen, H. Stieber, Kindig, Villalonga, Habat is very deep.  To say week Champ is kinda of a joke, he beat the defending champ in Maple, #1 seed in Houdashelt and beat 2 5th year seniors as a Freshman.  

Sorensen is only going to get more confidence and better as the season goes on.  I think he beats Tsirtsis in Iowa in a couple weeks.  There are 7 guys that can win that weight.  

Define weak...do you mean there is a lot of parity and not a dominant wrestler who we know is going to win it all? When multiple guys can win a weight, I don't think it makes it "weak", I think it just means that it is exciting. 

As much as I like Sorensen...... I just don't see him beating T-shirt at this point. If he were to beat him at this point, his confidence level would certainly skyrocket. You are going to have to beat T-shirt on your feet where he is outstanding defensively.(but it can be done)

149 isn't "weak" it has a LOT of balance, but some darn good wrestlers.

It is amazing how the Iowa fan base has christianed Sorensen their savior. Yet their starter Grothus, battled Tsir. To double,r triple over time.

This is the same group who had Marlin and Skon as studs

I would love to manage their site and to see how many of them have wrestled above high school

How does this situation remind you remotely of Marlin and or Skon? Grothus and Sorenson are All American caliber.

Why is Grothus the starter? Sorenson got the nod in the first dual vs Iowa State. I think they have been leaning Sorenson since the first dual. Now that Grothus has been hurt and Sorenson has been on a roll anyone that isn't related to Grothus has to figure it is Sorenson's spot. It sucks for the guy not starting when the spot is somewhat decided by injury but it happens.

Also, how would you figure out who wrestled above high school by managing their site? 

Edited by OtisCampbell

I'm going to bet that the state of Iowa has the highest percentage of former high school wrestlers in their population of all the states. Not sure about former college wrestlers, but I think that number is probably up there too. So now we are going to criticize the interest that Iowa has in wrestling? Makes even less sense than criticizing the collective abilities of our current crop of D1 149ers.

I'm not a huge Iowa fan, but I have seen Sorensen enough this year to say he is a contender to win the NCAA.  He is really strong and pushes the pace the entire match.  He is really good at getting into the legs.  Kid is really good and I think will only get better.  I hope Tsirtsis wins it again, seems like a good kid and gets hard time on here for winning matches.

Great post, let's see cut down the 149 weight class, cut down all heavy weights, cut down the state of Iowa, hmmm can we just say we hate the sport while were at it!

Or,  every weight in college wrestling is great, 149 has a lot of parity this year, 285 is looking great for the NCAAs and in general keep in mind they would smash any of you little dudes, OH and I'm not from Iowa Or Penn. but you got to love both of those states for loving wrestling!

P.S. one thing I have learned is that good college wrestlers, especially D1, know very little about the sport of wrestling, in the way most of the US wrestles, that is HS, youth, clubs.  They all were so good they really don't get everyone else.   

Edited by teach

I remember thinking that 2010 at 157 was pretty weak.

1- JP O'Connor , Harvard
2- Chase Pami, Cal Poly
3-  Adam Hall, Boise State
4- Justin Lister, Binghamton
5-  Steven Fittery, American
6- Cyler Sanderson, PSU
7- Justin Gaethje, Northern colorado
8-Steven Brown, CMU

149 was a great weight to watch last year.  This bracket was actually loaded.  Houdashelt, Dardanes, Grajales, Minotti, Habat, Tristis, Maple, Villonga, Sueflohn, Sakaguchi, Kindig. I know i'm leaving some names out but to call this weak is really ridiculous.   

Wasn't T-shirt the #1 pound for pound kid in his HS class? Villalonga was in the top 5 or 10. Same for Hunter Stieber. I don't know how you compare weight classes, though.

Don't know the answer to that, but I do know he was ranked high. Also, I recall Tsirtsis, while still in HS, beating Darian Caldwell in FS. No small feat there.

Sorensen hung tight with Habat, and has now beaten Kindig. He is fundamentally so sound, and avoids careless mistakes. And a great gas tank. Not saying he'll win the ncaa title, but I wouldn't count him out.

Although # 2 and 3 from that list are now pretty good open level wrestlers.

Speaking of weak 157, was it a shallow weight class when St John won, or did he have issues of some kind his sr year? I didn't really follow his career but I remember him struggling quite a bit as a sr.