Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Comparing the top teams

Let's do a quick comparison of the title contending teams to get a feel for where we think they are, weight by weight.

Iowa - Thomas Gilman, probably looking at a top 5 finish with some upward mobility.  If he can maintain the offensive output he showed against Klimara, he becomes a real threat.

Minnesota - Sam Brancale.  Presuming he makes it back to the lineup, he's a qualifier, but not much else at this point.

Ohio State - Nate Tomasello.  Low AA threat, his ceiling looks to be about 5th.

Missouri - Alan Waters.  Legitimate title threat, seems to have Garrett's number.  Strong shot at being a finalist.

Penn State - Jordan Conaway.  Fringe AA threat, seems more likely to be a R16/R12 guy.

133:

Iowa - Corey Clark.  Strong, dynamic wrestler who I feel is a title threat, but the weight is VERy deep.  Likely to finish somewhere between 1 - 5.

Minnesota - Chris Dardanes.  Slight title favorite at this point in the season in a deep weight, but there are some concerns about his weight.

Ohio State - Johnny DiJulius.  Solid wrestler who is broing to watch but is effective.  Likely a mid AA (6th to 3rd).

Missouri - Zach Synon.  May not qualify.

Penn State - Jimmy Gulibon.  Pretty much in that same pool as Clark and DiJulius.  He's a title contender, but I don't think he wins it, somewhere between 1 - 5.

141:

Iowa - Josh Dziewa.  Total flake.  Hard to really expect much out of him.  His ceiling seems to be low AA, but it's tough to see him being able to do that given his passivity.  2-2 at NCAAs.

Minnesota - Nick Dardanes.  Powerhouse, especially at this weight.  Fringe finalist contender, but more likely mid AA (3rd - 6th).

Ohio State - Some bum.

Missouri - Lavion Mayes.  Lowa AA candidate, but could just as easily be R12.

Penn State - Kade Moss.  May struggle to qualify.

149:

Iowa - Brandon Sorenson.  Seems pretty clear that he's locked up the spot.  Tough break for Grothus who is very good and has a bunch of good wins.  Has marked himself as a possible title threat, but I'm thinking more like 3rd to 6th.

Minnesota - Jake Short. Hopeful to qualify, but he's been underwhelming thusfar.

Ohio State - Hunter Stieber.  Possibly the key to the whole chase.  Talent for a title, but can he be counted on?  Looks like a different guy.  I honestly have no idea where to put Hunter.

Missouri - Drake Houdashelt. My personal favorite for the NCAA title.  I've been on the Houdashelt bandwagon for awhile now.

Penn State - Zack Beitz.  Hoping for a win or two here.

157:

Iowa - Mike Kelly.  I guess he's for real as a R16/R12 type, hard as that is to believe?  Could he be the Iowa version of Tyler Safratowich?  No, he can not.  Couple of wins at the show.

Minnesota - Dylan Ness.  Along w/ Houdashelt, this is my favorite non-Iowa wrestler.  Solid NCAA title favorite, although you can never count out Green.  Not sure what we'll see from Ian Miller at this point.

Ohio State - Josh Demas.  Keeps it too close.  Going to be tough to AA that way.  Low AA threat, but I say he R12s.

Missouri - Joey Lavallee.  Solid kid, but looks like R12 is his ceiling.  I say he wins a few and falls short of the blood round.

Penn State - Dylan Alton.  Secret shame:  Always kind of liked Dylan.  Felt he was given short shrift coming out high school compared to his more heralded brother.  I hope he goes out with an AA..  I'm going to say he snags like a 6th place finish.

165:

Iowa - Nick Moore.  This one hurts.  I was leading the Nick Moore Bandwagon (he was my sidepiece, don't get mad at me, Mike Evans).  He's just not the same guy we saw pre-NCAAs last year.  Maybe he sneaks a low AA, but that appears to be his ceiling, 6th to 8th.

Minnesota - Brandon Kingsley.  Solid but unspectacular.  Wins a few matches.

Ohio State - Bo Jordan.  Man-child.  Could be a finalist, and he's MASSIVE for the weight.  I have to think he moves up next year.  I say 5th to 1st.

Missouri - Mike England.  Moved down and it gives Mizou a stronger lineup, but more for dual purposes.  Absolute ceiling seems to me to be R12.

Penn State - Garrett Hammond.  Nice showing against BoJo.  He should win a couple of matches, but I see him falling short of the blood round.

174:

Iowa - Mike Evans.  I know I keep it under wraps, but I'm a fan.  I think he' going to win it all this year.  That said, he's part of a group of four that have mostly distanced themselves from the pack.  1st to 4th.

Minnesota - Logan Storley.  One of the most dangerous and active bottom position wrestlers I can remember in recent times.  Part of that group of 4 with Evans.  Does have a loss outside of the group to Blaise Butler, although there may have been something going on physically.  1st to 4th.

Ohio State - Mark Martin.  Never been a fan, just a guy IMO.  His ceiling, to me, is R12, but I think he falls short of that.  R16.

Missouri - Johnny Eblen.  Interesting situation.  Bumped out of his preferred 184 class by the emergence of Miklus.  Should be MASSIVE for the weight.  Strong contender for one of the 4 open AA slots left from the Group of 4.  5th to 8th.

Penn State:  Matt Brown.  Another member of the Group of 4 with Evans and Storley.  Supremely physical, though he does have the loss to Zach Epperly outside of the group.  He and Evans are probably the guys I'd least want to wrestle because I would get beat up more by them than by say a Logan Stieber, who even though he's better, doesn't look like he'd hurt me.  1st to 4th.

184:

Iowa - Sammy Brooks.  Despite the strange loss to Nolan Boyd, he's probably the best guy out of the top teams at this weight.  Prototypical Iowa wrestler, very aggressive and constant pressure.  I think he could be in the finals, but I think the most likely result is 3rd to 5th.

Minnesota - Brett Pfarr.  Seen as being on the same level as Brooks coming into this year, I'd say at this point there is some separation.  Still very good and a grinder.  Big motor on this kid.  I think he's a strong contender for a low AA. 6th to 8th.

Ohio State - Kenny Courts.  Explosive wrestler, but he's just missing...something.  No motor, relies too much on getting up early and hanging on.  Contender for a low AA, but I say R12/R16.

Missouri - Willie Miklus.  Statement win early against Dechow of ODU, so the talent is there.  Another fun to kid to watch wrestle.  Bouts of inconsistency with some odd losses, including to McCutcheon who we'll talk about in a minute.  I say he contends for a mid AA. 4th to 8th.

Penn State:  Matt McCutcheon.  Another guy who is frustrating for his fans, I'm sure.  Talented, including a win over Miklus.  I don't see him AAing this year, more like R12/R16.  Maybe Morgan McIntosh should have moved down this year?  I think he's a title threat at 184.

197:

Iowa - Nathan Burak.  Strong like bull.  Really developed well at Iowa.  Good attacks, but not aggressive enough.  Kind of reminds me a little of Jamal Parks in that way.  Really tough to score on.  Contender for mid AA.  4th to 8th.

Minnesota - Scott Schiller.  Beat J'Den Cox earlier this year, though under modified rules.  Aggressive and fundamentally solid.  I like him from 1st to 3rd.

Ohio State - Kyle Snyder.  Same tier as Burak.  We saw them as essentially being on the same level in their match.  Strong kid and fundamentally solid.  4th to 8th.

Missouri - J'Den Cox.  Returning champ, though not #1 ranked.  Supremem physical talent, and extremely technically sound also.  Obvious contender to repeat, though I think I'm going to predict Schiller.  There may be weight issues going on.  1st to 3rd.

Penn State - Morgan McIntosh.  Same tier as Burak and Snyder.  Snyder was able to physically manhandle him a little in their match, but MM has also beaten Burak in all their matchups thusfar.  Undersized, but as technically sound a wrestler as there is at the weight.  4th to 8th.

HWT:

Iowa - Bobby Telford.  Massive at the weight, and current #1 after a win over McMullen and Marsden.  Unfortunately I think the types of HWTs he struggles with the most are his most likely Finals opponents, Gwiazdowski and McMullen.  I think McMullen will win, but Telford has shown he's capable.  1st to 3rd.

Minnesota - Michael Kroells.  Interesting given Minny's pedigree at the weight.  He's been solid but not spectacular thusfar.  he's got a motor on him.  He seems like the type of kid that would go on a run in wrestlebacks.  I say he's a contender for mid AA, though I know his rankings don't support that.  5th to R12.

Ohio State - Nick Tavanello/Thomas Haines.  We're in flux now with Tav's possible injury.  I'm going to act as if it's Tav.  Fring top 10 guy, but his height hurts him.  I say he's R16 if he's healthy.

Missouri - Devon Mellon.  Just hasn't been super impressive to me.  May not qualify, but I say he does, only a couple of wins.  2-2.

Penn State - Jimmy Lawson.  It appears as if Lawson is the guy.  Physically imposing, he's a bit underskilled to my eye, although it's masked by being at this weight.  Physical skills make him a contender for low AA, but I say R12.

Teamwise I think it's going to be Iowa vs. Minnesota, w/ Iowa winning.  That said, Iowa has obviously crapped the bed at the last few NCAAs, so can't rule it out.  With Ohio State, it's hard to trust a team so young when none of the youngsters isn't a true bonus point phenom.  Iowa has Metcalf, Penn State had Taylor AND Ruth.  Ohio State's young guns are all good (especially BoJo), but none of them are otherworldly like those guys I just mentioned that won titles with young teams.  Logie Bear's massive point-scoring can only cover so much.  I think they'll finish third.

Edited by VakAttack

Zach Synon is an interesting one, and potentially won't be the starter come conference/nationals time (See Matt Manley).  It's interesting though, that he beat Garrett.  Some could say that Garrett gassed, or was sick, or whatever...but Synon had the first takedown in the first period (when Garrett should have had a full gas tank), and pretty much controlled that entire match.

Now I'm not going to say that Synon deserves to be considered as a potential AA, and the match against Garrett could have been a fluke considering Synon's performance so far this season.  But...I think either he or Manley will qualify, and most likely win a match or two at nationals, adding team points.  I think Manley has the better chance of going farther on the back side, but I don't think you can count Missouri out at 133.

Good analysis and a good read, though...keep it coming.

Edited by The_MO_Godfather

"Missouri - Lavion Mayes.  Lowa AA candidate, but could just as easily be R12."

I think you're thinking of the Lavion Mayes from last year.  I know the top 4 at this weight have better resume's, and finalist is probably not in the picture, but I think he's more likely to upset Carter or Dardanes than finish off the podium.  

Good start!  Looking forward to seeing the rest of your analysis.

Next set.  I also put these in the OP.

149:

Iowa - Brandon Sorenson.  Seems pretty clear that he's locked up the spot.  Tough break for Grothus who is very good and has a bunch of good wins.  Has marked himself as a possible title threat, but I'm thinking more like 3rd to 6th.

Minnesota - Jake Short. Hopeful to qualify, but he's been underwhelming thusfar.

Ohio State - Hunter Stieber.  Possibly the key to the whole chase.  Talent for a title, but can he be counted on?  Looks like a different guy.  I honestly have no idea where to put Hunter.

Missouri - Drake Houdashelt. My personal favorite for the NCAA title.  I've been on the Houdashelt bandwagon for awhile now.

Penn State - Zack Beitz.  Hoping for a win or two here.

157:

Iowa - Mike Kelly.  I guess he's for real as a R16/R12 type, hard as that is to believe?  Could he be the Iowa version of Tyler Safratowich?  No, he can not.  Couple of wins at the show.

Minnesota - Dylan Ness.  Along w/ Houdashelt, this is my favorite non-Iowa wrestler.  Solid NCAA title favorite, although you can never count out Green.  Not sure what we'll see from Ian Miller at this point.

Ohio State - Josh Demas.  Keeps it too close.  Going to be tough to AA that way.  Low AA threat, but I say he R12s.

Missouri - Joey Lavallee.  Solid kid, but looks like R12 is his ceiling.  I say he wins a few and falls short of the blood round.

Penn State - Dylan Alton.  Secret shame:  Always kind of liked Dylan.  Felt he was given short shrift coming out high school compared to his more heralded brother.  I hope he goes out with an AA..  I'm going to say he snags like a 6th place finish.

165:

Iowa - Nick Moore.  This one hurts.  I was leading the Nick Moore Bandwagon (he was my sidepiece, don't get mad at me, Mike Evans).  He's just not the same guy we saw pre-NCAAs last year.  Maybe he sneaks a low AA, but that appears to be his ceiling, 6th to 8th.

Minnesota - Brandon Kingsley.  Solid but unspectacular.  Wins a few matches.

Ohio State - Bo Jordan.  Man-child.  Could be a finalist, and he's MASSIVE for the weight.  I have to think he moves up next year.  I say 5th to 1st.

Missouri - Mike England.  Moved down and it gives Mizou a stronger lineup, but more for dual purposes.  Absolute ceiling seems to me to be R12.

Penn State - Garrett Hammond.  Nice showing against BoJo.  He should win a couple of matches, but I see him falling short of the blood round.

Mizzou fan here so I'm not biased tOSU's way, but Nathan Tomasello is looking so good and seems to be only improving. Depending on whether Delgado comes back and how he performs, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Tomasello in the finals this year

"Missouri - Lavion Mayes.  Lowa AA candidate, but could just as easily be R12."

I think you're thinking of the Lavion Mayes from last year.  I know the top 4 at this weight have better resume's, and finalist is probably not in the picture, but I think he's more likely to upset Carter or Dardanes than finish off the podium.  

Good start!  Looking forward to seeing the rest of your analysis.

carter will eat him. 

Mizzou fan here so I'm not biased tOSU's way, but Nathan Tomasello is looking so good and seems to be only improving. Depending on whether Delgado comes back and how he performs, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Tomasello in the finals this year

He had a good match against Conaway, who is basically overrated because of an unnecessary funk counter by Dance. He looked pretty average and limited against Gilman. And has found a way to lose every other match against the top guys. His left hand shot is tricky and the more guys wrestle him the more they will get a feel for stopping it. Oh and he is undersized. I don't see him getting into the finals unless he gets some kind of broken bracket and does not have to face one of the top guys to get there. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Tomasello has had close matches in every single match he's lost this season, all to top 5 guys. And as for guys getting a feel for wrestling him, I can guarantee that as a freshman Tomasello is also getting a feel for how the other guys wrestle as well. As for being undersized, he has an impressive gas tank and that'll be huge in March when other wrestlers will be worn out from the season-long weight cut.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he'll make the finals, I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked if it did happen (although only if Delgado is out/not his former self)

Vak, I agree with you for the most part. A few comments I'll make to contribute to the conversation:

125: I do think Tomasello has the potential to contend this year. He competes with everyone but 125 is LOADED. 5th is probably a fair place to put him at, though - I just expect him to outperform slightly.

133: I agree on all your expectations here. My only comment here is that I don't think 133 is loaded - I personally have it at the weakest weight class overall this season. Any of the top guys can win it here on a given day (although I think Brewer is the top guy ATM. not that OU is in the top team conversation).

141: tOSU is running away with this one. Iowa will struggle to AA here, but could pick up a 7-8 finish. Minnesota should be around 4-6 and Mayes of Mizzou should be in the 6-8 range.

149: Sorenson looks good, which makes Iowa's chances look even better. His win over Kindig puts him towards the top, and I personally thought he looked better than Habat in their match at Midlands. I think Houdashelt is a top 3 talent for Mizzou, Stieber is still a HUGE ??? midway through January. The Buckeye's hopes may come down to him performing at the big show. Short for Minnesota has been a disappointment thus far. He should qualify, but if he made R16 I'd be impressed at this point.

157: Ness is the front runner here. Mizzou's looking at a R12 position as is tOSU (although Demas has a chance to AA low in the 7-8 slot). Kelly doesn't impress me, and I see him in a R12-16 conversation. 

165: BoJo is the real deal. I have him picked as the only person at this weight who may challenge Dieringer this season. He's got some more tests ahead, but man does he look good. Nick Moore may be able to sneak in there, but he has not been wrestling well and 165 is a lot more loaded than it was when David Taylor was around (wonder why that is...). England from Mizzou is in the same boat as Moore (assuming he can get used to the cut.) Don't expect Minny to AA here, either.

174: Well, this weight is a total meat grinder. Evans and Storley can each win it, or they could place as low as 4th. Kokesh and Brown are right there and all 4 are more or less dead even. It's going to be sad to see all 4 graduate this season. Eblen from Mizzou should be in the 5-8 mix, but I don't know if I see him exceeding that. tOSU could squeek in an 8th place finish, but I doubt it will happen.

184: I think Brooks leads the pack here out of the top teams. Pfarr shows some promise from time to time but always seems to end up in awkward positions which leaves a lot of the outcome up to the refs. Mizzou looks to be able to get on the podium with Miklus, but he's lost to some unranked guys as well as taken out some good ones. tOSU is a little further behind here, but could get a few points at NCAAs.

197: A strong weight class for all the teams. I think anyone paying attention has to put Cox at number 1 (unless your name is Flo or Intermat) for the Tigers. Minnesota, Iowa and tOSU have big names here and all 4 should be scoring some points at NCAAs.

285: Iowa stands out here with Bobby T. Ranked number one in a tough year for heavy weights. Minnesota, tOSU and Mizzou all seam to be around the 14-20 range here, can't see any of them stepping up to AA at this point though.

For teams, I think I have to put Iowa at number 1 now. The emergence of Sorenson at 149 and Bobby T as the top guy at heavy really helps their cause. Minnesota has 5 studs who will (should) all score points, but the other 5 weights are really hurting their chances. Going to need their top guys to score some bonus points to contend. tOSU has to get Stieber ready to go at 149. Without him their shot at a title is slim. Additionally, they need to get their other guys to wrestle ahead of their seed (Tomasello and Snyder specifically). Mizzou has their big three in Waters, Houdashelt and Cox. If all three win it and they are able to get AA finishes out of Mayes, Eblen and Miklus with LaValle, English and Mellon all contributing some team points they may have a shot. But that's asking a lot out of an unproven team.

133: I agree on all your expectations here. My only comment here is that I don't think 133 is loaded - I personally have it at the weakest weight class overall this season. Any of the top guys can win it here on a given day (although I think Brewer is the top guy ATM. not that OU is in the top team conversation).

Whats Brewers top win this season?

Whats Brewers top win this season?

I didn't pick him as the top guy because he beat someone impressive, but more based on how he has looked every time I've seen him this season. He's also the highest returning AA with the exception of Schopp, who lost to non AA Richards earlier this season.

Vak, I agree with you for the most part. A few comments I'll make to contribute to the conversation:

125: I do think Tomasello has the potential to contend this year. He competes with everyone but 125 is LOADED. 5th is probably a fair place to put him at, though - I just expect him to outperform slightly.

141: tOSU is running away with this one. Iowa will struggle to AA here, but could pick up a 7-8 finish. Minnesota should be around 4-6 and Mayes of Mizzou should be in the 6-8 range.

149: Sorenson looks good, which makes Iowa's chances look even better. His win over Kindig puts him towards the top, and I personally thought he looked better than Habat in their match at Midlands. I think Houdashelt is a top 3 talent for Mizzou, Stieber is still a HUGE ??? midway through January. The Buckeye's hopes may come down to him performing at the big show. Short for Minnesota has been a disappointment thus far. He should qualify, but if he made R16 I'd be impressed at this point.

157: Ness is the front runner here. Mizzou's looking at a R12 position as is tOSU (although Demas has a chance to AA low in the 7-8 slot). Kelly doesn't impress me, and I see him in a R12-16 conversation. 

165: BoJo is the real deal. I have him picked as the only person at this weight who may challenge Dieringer this season. He's got some more tests ahead, but man does he look good. Nick Moore may be able to sneak in there, but he has not been wrestling well and 165 is a lot more loaded than it was when David Taylor was around (wonder why that is...). England from Mizzou is in the same boat as Moore (assuming he can get used to the cut.) Don't expect Minny to AA here, either.

174: Well, this weight is a total meat grinder. Evans and Storley can each win it, or they could place as low as 4th. Kokesh and Brown are right there and all 4 are more or less dead even. It's going to be sad to see all 4 graduate this season. Eblen from Mizzou should be in the 5-8 mix, but I don't know if I see him exceeding that. tOSU could squeek in an 8th place finish, but I doubt it will happen.

184: I think Brooks leads the pack here out of the top teams. Pfarr shows some promise from time to time but always seems to end up in awkward positions which leaves a lot of the outcome up to the refs. Mizzou looks to be able to get on the podium with Miklus, but he's lost to some unranked guys as well as taken out some good ones. tOSU is a little further behind here, but could get a few points at NCAAs.

197: A strong weight class for all the teams. I think anyone paying attention has to put Cox at number 1 (unless your name is Flo or Intermat) for the Tigers. Minnesota, Iowa and tOSU have big names here and all 4 should be scoring some points at NCAAs.

285: Iowa stands out here with Bobby T. Ranked number one in a tough year for heavy weights. Minnesota, tOSU and Mizzou all seam to be around the 14-20 range here, can't see any of them stepping up to AA at this point though.

For teams, I think I have to put Iowa at number 1 now. The emergence of Sorenson at 149 and Bobby T as the top guy at heavy really helps their cause. Minnesota has 5 studs who will (should) all score points, but the other 5 weights are really hurting their chances. Going to need their top guys to score some bonus points to contend. tOSU has to get Stieber ready to go at 149. Without him their shot at a title is slim. Additionally, they need to get their other guys to wrestle ahead of their seed (Tomasello and Snyder specifically). Mizzou has their big three in Waters, Houdashelt and Cox. If all three win it and they are able to get AA finishes out of Mayes, Eblen and Miklus with LaValle, English and Mellon all contributing some team points they may have a shot. But that's asking a lot out of an unproven team.

Dont you want to wait for Vak to finish his analysis in HIS thread before injecting yours? Lol no offense, just a lil thread jack, geez

Last set.

174:

Iowa - Mike Evans.  I know I keep it under wraps, but I'm a fan.  I think he' going to win it all this year.  That said, he's part of a group of four that have mostly distanced themselves from the pack.  1st to 4th.

Minnesota - Logan Storley.  One of the most dangerous and active bottom position wrestlers I can remember in recent times.  Part of that group of 4 with Evans.  Does have a loss outside of the group to Blaise Butler, although there may have been something going on physically.  1st to 4th.

Ohio State - Mark Martin.  Never been a fan, just a guy IMO.  His ceiling, to me, is R12, but I think he falls short of that.  R16.

Missouri - Johnny Eblen.  Interesting situation.  Bumped out of his preferred 184 class by the emergence of Miklus.  Should be MASSIVE for the weight.  Strong contender for one of the 4 open AA slots left from the Group of 4.  5th to 8th.

Penn State:  Matt Brown.  Another member of the Group of 4 with Evans and Storley.  Supremely physical, though he does have the loss to Zach Epperly outside of the group.  He and Evans are probably the guys I'd least want to wrestle because I would get beat up more by them than by say a Logan Stieber, who even though he's better, doesn't look like he'd hurt me.  1st to 4th.

184:

Iowa - Sammy Brooks.  Despite the strange loss to Nolan Boyd, he's probably the best guy out of the top teams at this weight.  Prototypical Iowa wrestler, very aggressive and constant pressure.  I think he could be in the finals, but I think the most likely result is 3rd to 5th.

Minnesota - Brett Pfarr.  Seen as being on the same level as Brooks coming into this year, I'd say at this point there is some separation.  Still very good and a grinder.  Big motor on this kid.  I think he's a strong contender for a low AA. 6th to 8th.

Ohio State - Kenny Courts.  Explosive wrestler, but he's just missing...something.  No motor, relies too much on getting up early and hanging on.  Contender for a low AA, but I say R12/R16.

Missouri - Willie Miklus.  Statement win early against Dechow of ODU, so the talent is there.  Another fun to kid to watch wrestle.  Bouts of inconsistency with some odd losses, including to McCutcheon who we'll talk about in a minute.  I say he contends for a mid AA. 4th to 8th.

Penn State:  Matt McCutcheon.  Another guy who is frustrating for his fans, I'm sure.  Talented, including a win over Miklus.  I don't see him AAing this year, more like R12/R16.  Maybe Morgan McIntosh should have moved down this year?  I think he's a title threat at 184.

197:

Iowa - Nathan Burak.  Strong like bull.  Really developed well at Iowa.  Good attacks, but not aggressive enough.  Kind of reminds me a little of Jamal Parks in that way.  Really tough to score on.  Contender for mid AA.  4th to 8th.

Minnesota - Scott Schiller.  Beat J'Den Cox earlier this year, though under modified rules.  Aggressive and fundamentally solid.  I like him from 1st to 3rd.

Ohio State - Kyle Snyder.  Same tier as Burak.  We saw them as essentially being on the same level in their match.  Strong kid and fundamentally solid.  4th to 8th.

Missouri - J'Den Cox.  Returning champ, though not #1 ranked.  Supremem physical talent, and extremely technically sound also.  Obvious contender to repeat, though I think I'm going to predict Schiller.  There may be weight issues going on.  1st to 3rd.

Penn State - Morgan McIntosh.  Same tier as Burak and Snyder.  Snyder was able to physically manhandle him a little in their match, but MM has also beaten Burak in all their matchups thusfar.  Undersized, but as technically sound a wrestler as there is at the weight.  4th to 8th.

HWT:

Iowa - Bobby Telford.  Massive at the weight, and current #1 after a win over McMullen and Marsden.  Unfortunately I think the types of HWTs he struggles with the most are his most likely Finals opponents, Gwiazdowski and McMullen.  I think McMullen will win, but Telford has shown he's capable.  1st to 3rd.

Minnesota - Michael Kroells.  Interesting given Minny's pedigree at the weight.  He's been solid but not spectacular thusfar.  he's got a motor on him.  He seems like the type of kid that would go on a run in wrestlebacks.  I say he's a contender for mid AA, though I know his rankings don't support that.  5th to R12.

Ohio State - Nick Tavanello/Thomas Haines.  We're in flux now with Tav's possible injury.  I'm going to act as if it's Tav.  Fring top 10 guy, but his height hurts him.  I say he's R16 if he's healthy.

Missouri - Devon Mellon.  Just hasn't been super impressive to me.  May not qualify, but I say he does, only a couple of wins.  2-2.

Penn State - Jimmy Lawson.  It appears as if Lawson is the guy.  Physically imposing, he's a bit underskilled to my eye, although it's masked by being at this weight.  Physical skills make him a contender for low AA, but I say R12.

Teamwise I think it's going to be Iowa vs. Minnesota, w/ Iowa winning.  That said, Iowa has obviously crapped the bed at the last few NCAAs, so can't rule it out.

174: Well, this weight is a total meat grinder. Evans and Storley can each win it, or they could place as low as 4th. Kokesh and Brown are right there and all 4 are more or less dead even.

Kokesh is starting to separate himself with an 8-4 record vs big three at 174.

Storley is 9-7, Brown 7-8, and Evans 5-10.

Dont you want to wait for Vak to finish his analysis in HIS thread before injecting yours? Lol no offense, just a lil thread jack, geez

Eh, I figured it wasn't too late to start. I had the time at work, and figured Vak wouldn't care and would post his own opinions as he found time to do so :x

On the topic of Tomasello/Gilman, I agree with you Otis that Tomasello really couldn't find his offense against Thomas there. That said, Gilman couldn't get much going offensively either. Any time I see a match go into OT I have to think it could go the other way in a rematch. That said, T-shirt seems to dismiss this thought pretty regularly...

Its all good.

Yea Gilman just has that caveman strength and superior positioning, Nato simply could not penetrate. Thats why I think guys like Dance pose problems for Gilman. You have to get creative to score on Gilman. Dance is squirly and usually comes out on top in those funky situations. Guys who are straight forward, one dimensional like Nato wont have much success vs Gilman. Too damn strong.