WreslingSuperior

United World Wrestling approves significant reforms

I think we should switch to compression shorts and longsleeve underarmour type shirts. Maybe some how even make it a one piece that you can zip up the back. That way you still have some-what of a singlet and cover up your upper body. Many kids in middle school and high school dont like singlets because it shows alot of their chest, arms, and back. They may have alot of acne and things of that nature and to be frank kids just think they they look gay. If you cover more of the upper body and left the compression shorts (which isnt far from what cross country runners wear--maybe even less "gay"). I am personally a supporter of the singlet but if theyre going to change it this would be the best direction to go if you ask me. You could even do more with graphics on them this way. For example Ohio States singlets could still have the O on the side, buckeys on the back, and the OSU logo on the leg but you can add things like last names down the arm or something creative. This is coming from someone who litterally just finished their high school wrestling career and wants the right thing to be done if wrestling singlets dont stick around.

Edited by broyles_152

Guest ShannonSofield

I think we may be missing the point here. It is not the singlet that makes them "look gay", but the fact that it is two men "groping" each other. That is the public perception. As mentioned above, there are plenty of sports that use singlets that don't have this issue. Even if they are fully clothed, like with BJJ gis, if you show a non-grappler spectator a position with one guy in another guy's guard, they are going to attach homosexual innuendo to it. 

Edited by ShannonSofield

This week UWW will test the new greco-roman rules (like in the Dave Schultz international) in the U23 European Championships and then they will take a decision in Poland.

The changes are:

- No stopping the bout for passivity.

- Elimination of the ordered hold.

- 1 point after 2 passivity warning.

- All gut wrenches are 2 points. Only the firt gut wrenche in a sequence scores.

- All the exposure without danger position will be 2 points, and with danger position 4 points.

- No point against the attacking wrestler for push out.

- Direct warning for blocking, head butt, and grabbling the fingers. Repeating that, will be caution and 2 points.

- The same for being "close" while defending in parterre position.

They don't say anything about the time of the match, if it will be 1 period of 5 minutes or 2 periods of 3 minutes.

The link to the UWW circular letter: https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/media/document/04_gr_rules_a_f.pdf

This week UWW will test the new greco-roman rules (like in the Dave Schultz international) in the U23 European Championships and then they will take a decision in Poland.

The changes are:

- All gut wrenches are 2 points. Only the firt gut wrenche in a sequence scores.

- All the exposure without danger position will be 2 points, and with danger position 4 points.

- Direct warning for blocking, head butt, and grabbling the fingers. Repeating that, will be caution and 2 points.

They don't say anything about the time of the match, if it will be 1 period of 5 minutes or 2 periods of 3 minutes.

The link to the UWW circular letter: https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/media/document/04_gr_rules_a_f.pdf

The one new rule change that is beyond stupid is the new defense rules in parterre: The defending wrestler can ONLY defend with his hands open. I mean WTF? Gutwrench defense is already the most dangerous move to elbows and shoulders, and now the ONLY way to defend is to block the move with your body?

What the hell? Are they nuts? Defending an armbar in judo is lots safer than defending a gut wrench in wrestling. Basically the best way to defend is to go to the gym. No wrestling needed. Just grow a large beerbelly.

Sigh.

Also: Greco does NOT need less clothing (shorts), but MORE. I'm fine with getting rid of the old singlets which, honestly, have been used way past their prime time. There are better materials and options now.

But at least design an attire that covers the top body (compression shirts). That helps to keep the contact and execute THROWS and moves even when both wrestlers are sweatty.

It looks like the push out point is on its way out already.  

Referees now have to determine who the attacking wrestler is (the attacker won't be penalized for going out of bounds) and whether the defender was pushed out (no penalty) or stepped out (1 to the opponent).

It used to be that the first wrestler who stepped out of bounds was penalized.  This was easy to enforce.  If a scoring action starts in bounds and continues out of bounds, ignoring the push out is easy enough to enforce.  The current formulation makes the referee more important and will certainly lead to subjective influence on match outcomes.

The changes are:

this is depressing. 1990 all over again, wtf.

No doubt gutwrench. Just let them wrestle and stop constantly screwing with the rules. Also they're trying to increase scoring but taking away scoring moves (pushing out, 2nd gutwrench?) makes no sense. There is no magic formula that will make every match score 15-14. Just leave it alone.

No doubt gutwrench. Just let them wrestle and stop constantly screwing with the rules. Also they're trying to increase scoring but taking away scoring moves (pushing out, 2nd gutwrench?) makes no sense. There is no magic formula that will make every match score 15-14. Just leave it alone.

In my opinion the real problem is the IOC not UWW. Now freestyle has a very good ruleset and you can see a lot of throws and points. Greco is a very difficult style to watch. Like No-Gi and Gi Grappling. In my opinion UWW has two spectacular styles : Freestyle and Pankration where you can see wrestling, grappling and striking.

Just my two cents

Edited by WreslingSuperior

I am agree but Pankration with wrestling and boxing is an ancient Olympic style. It has also professional tournaments in Russia and other east european countries.

I prefer freestyle and Greco at Olympic level. I have Greco background, but today is difficult without women's weight classes and other troubles...

Edited by WreslingSuperior