Sign in to follow this  
jvallstar

Meyer pin

Perhaps the ref slapped the mat figuring he may have missed it a few seconds earlier when he was out of position, and feeling a bit guilty with all the homer fans screaming, he was trying to make up for what he felt may have been a mistake on his part.

Did the ref award any points? I was under the assumption he did but I have read from several people that there was no takedown or backs. If not, then I guess it did impact the result. Still have no sympathy for the Illinois wrestler with the way he wrestled that last period but I can understand people wanting the ref to get it correct. 

For those who know the rules better than I do: does it need to be both scapula touching, or simply both halves of the upper back with the bottom of the scapula being the criteria for determining where the upper back begins? If the former, that's definitely a fall.

wcOC5Vjl.png?1

AnqLmuvl.png?1

Edited by BigRedMachine

In either picture, where do you see both shoulders or scapulae touching to even bring this up? In the upper- which is closer to a fall- the right singlet strap isn't even touching.You can see the center part of the singlet and the exposed center of his back.

In either picture, where do you see both shoulders or scapulae touching to even bring this up? In the upper- which is closer to a fall- the right singlet strap isn't even touching.You can see the center part of the singlet and the exposed center of his back.

I'm not sure you understood my question. I'm asking for the official definition of a fall according to the NCAA rule book and what role the scapulae play in the matter (i.e. are they required to be touching for a fall to occur or does it simply have to be both sides of the upper back and the scapulae simply define where the upper begins). The second picture is after the fall was called and the red line I drew shows exactly what part of the right side of his back was touching. 

I'm not sure you understood my question. I'm asking for the official definition of a fall according to the NCAA rule book and what role the scapulae play in the matter (i.e. are they required to be touching for a fall to occur or does it simply have to be both sides of the upper back and the scapulae simply define where the upper begins). The second picture is after the fall was called and the red line I drew shows exactly what part of the right side of his back was touching. 

Are you saying the fall was called based on the first picture? That's what I was referring to, not the second.

Any part of both shoulders or part of both scapulae- I suspect proper grammar should say each rather than both.

As to the first picture, I don't see the ref looking like he's about to slap the mat, in fact it might look like he just got down, and there were a few seconds between the two shots (Look at some of the people on the bench) so he might have rocked up to get the fall and then back after. Joe T was in perfect position to see it.

Allow me to channel my inner Superold for a second:

Are you saying the fall was called based on the first picture? That's what I was referring to, not the second.

Yes, the second picture is only there to put into perspective which part of his back this was that was touching the mat.

Any part of both shoulders or part of both scapulae- I suspect proper grammar should say each rather than both.

Given this criteria, I would say technically not a fall. Very close though.

As to the first picture, I don't see the ref looking like he's about to slap the mat, in fact it might look like he just got down, and there were a few seconds between the two shots (Look at some of the people on the bench) so he might have rocked up to get the fall and then back after. Joe T was in perfect position to see it.

The position he's in in the first picture is as far as he gets to his right side being flat. He stays in this position a good period of time, but does not go any further towards his right side. Feel free to review the video on the first page.

Here's a pic as the fall is being called:

hqODGgll.png?1

Edited by BigRedMachine

Didn't look like a fall to me at all once you watch the replay with the appropriate camera angle.  Also I'm a little confused; I didn't watch the match, the scoreboard says 5-3 Brunson on the broadcast, but someone here was saying that Meyer was winning the match.  Can I get some clarification?

Give Meyer 2 for the takedown and 2 NF points and the score would be 7-5 w/o the pin.

Yep - definitely not a pin. I can upload the video to youtube if there's sufficient interest. But at this point, it kind of seems moot. It was not a pin.

EDIT: Not a pinfall!

Edited by rstrong

Allow me to channel my inner Superold for a second:

Yes, the second picture is only there to put into perspective which part of his back this was that was touching the mat.

Given this criteria, I would say technically not a fall. Very close though.

The position he's in in the first picture is as far as he gets to his right side being flat. He stays in this position a good period of time, but does not go any further towards his right side. Feel free to review the video on the first page.

Here's a pic as the fall is being called:

hqODGgll.png?1

Do you have video from that angle?

Edit: I found it.

Edited by pm-01