Sign in to follow this  
FLONYC13

ILL vs Minn

Word at the meet was that the flu is running through the Gopher wrestling team.  I heard Ness actually gave it to his brother and that was why Jason was not at the meet?  I don't know for sure.  I think it's some truly evil plot by the Coaching staff just to stir up some anti Minnesota discussion. 

I have watched two of Martinez's matches.  Why would anybody get into an over-under tie up with him?  He is a beast once he gets there.   

Because he is somewhat predictable and leaves himself open a lot from that position. Anthony Valenzia steamrolled him in freestyle this summer from that position. Every time they would tie up, Valencia took him down within a few seconds, like he was drilling for fun. Martinez did not threaten Valencia even for a second before he got teched.

Obviously, Valencia is an even bigger beast than Martinez, so I'm not saying just anybody can go out and make Martinez look silly. The point is that the better coaches will study him and prepare their kids for his underhook series. Martinez is very good with the left underhook when he can jack you up or position his hips under you on the underhook side. He has a hip toss, a trip, and sweep single from there that can be neutralized with good position or counterattacks as he's setting it up.

I was really looking forward to seeing Ness wrestle Martinez because if anybody has the hips to handle Martinez from a tie-up, it's Ness.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Since this seems to come up a lot, anybody else question that last escape andd TD sequence in regulation between Richards and C. Dardanes? Richards hadn't even stood up yet. I remember this coming up a lot with Metcalf after he broke people, and I think Dardanes probably gets that TD anyway, but still, Dardanes hadn't been out of contact very long with Richards when this happened.

Since this seems to come up a lot, anybody else question that last escape andd TD sequence in regulation between Richards and C. Dardanes? Richards hadn't even stood up yet. I remember this coming up a lot with Metcalf after he broke people, and I think Dardanes probably gets that TD anyway, but still, Dardanes hadn't been out of contact very long with Richards when this happened.

We had a discussion on this in this thread. I put up a clip of the action.

My take: it's referee's discretion, but in this case, probably the right call.

I-Mar has been exciting to watch since HS, courtesy of Flo.

Yes, he looked amazing this weekend, but the #5 ranking is about right as I still don't think he takes any of the top 3 -- Ness, Green, or Miller.  In fact, right now, to my mind, he's a poor man's Ian Miller, if only because he's a frosh . . . which is actually a compliment.

As far as the sportsmanship issue, from the interviews I've seen, he seems like a humble, well-mannered kid.  I think some of the recent bravado we've seen out of him will get knocked out of him in the unforgiving Big-10 grind which humbles just about everybody.

In 4 days we will find out whether Martinez can beat Green - unless Green also develops the flu.  If Martinez can convincingly defeat Green then Martinez should be given the Number 1 ranking for the B10 tournament.  Ness (based on his 1 point win over Green) would then be looked at as the poor man's Martinez.

How about the graphic asking fans to vote on the best dressed Minnesota coach?  TEN choices were offered.  I thought the NCAA only allowed for three paid coaches and a volunteer assistant.  Perhaps those "Administrative Assistants" aren't really administrative assistants after all?  (wink wink)

Just thinking... I wonder if Martinez could have given up a TD to give him more time to get the fall?  Don't teams practice these types of scenarios?

I was thinking since the Minnesota kid was down 14 and had choice in the second, can he legally choose top and then decide to go neutral start and give up the point to lose?  Or if nothing else take top and do an optional start?  It appears Minnesota would have won even if he got pinned but I guess it's tough to tell your wrestler to purposely give up a 15th point without a fight.