157 D Ness MN w 9-1   11-3 MN

165 Wanzak MN w 8-4  14-3 MN

174 Brown PSU w 4-1  14-6 MN

184 Pfarr 11-5 MN w 17-6 MN

197 Mack PSU w 7-4   17-9 MN
HWT Lawson  PSU 3-1 17-12 MN

125  Conaway PSU w 13-3  MN wins dual 17-6

Edited by hammer

Also, so much for Dardanes not being able to wrestle if he has to go first.  He took on a pretty stout opponent in a hostile environment and didn't seem to gas at all.  Gulibon wrestled a very good match.  Stayed on the attack and it seemed to keep Dardanes on his heels for most of the match.  Still, Dardanes got the late takedown when he needed it.  

I think Dardanes is clearly the 133lb favorite at this point.

Also, so much for Dardanes not being able to wrestle if he has to go first.  He took on a pretty stout opponent in a hostile environment and didn't seem to gas at all.  Gulibon wrestled a very good match.  Stayed on the attack and it seemed to keep Dardanes on his heels for most of the match.  Still, Dardanes got the late takedown when he needed it.  

If schopp didn't beat him so convincingly every time they wrestled I might agree.  I really worry about a matchup with Cory Clark as well.  Dardanes has earned his #1 ranking, but I'd certainly bet the field over him to win a title, and probably even to make the finals.  133 is very tough weight

I would take Schopp over Dardanes for certain, then you have a lot of guys who have wrestled very close matches with him like Clark, Gulibon and Richards. Also guys like Brewer and Hall could potentially beat him. 

Dardanes beat Schopp 7-3 in the 2012 Quarterfinals, lost 2-1 to Schopp in the 2012 All Star Classic, and lost 11-7 in the 2013 Quarterfinals. I don't remember Dardanes being consistently dominated.  Did I miss a match?  I know Dardanes fell behind early in the 2013 match but he did make a bit of a comeback.  I understand your worries but I think he looks much better on bottom this year after being up at 141 last season.  Plus, I think Schopp and Clark give their legs up enough in neutral, mainly due to their frames, to offset the advantage they would have over Dardanes on the mat.

I would take Schopp over Dardanes for certain, then you have a lot of guys who have wrestled very close matches with him like Clark, Gulibon and Richards. Also guys like Brewer and Hall could potentially beat him. 

No problem.  I will take the undefeated guy who has shown his grit winning the tough matches this season.  You can take Schopp, who hasn't wrestled in a month, and his last two matches were a 1-0 loss to Richards and a razor thin 4-3 win over Norstrem.

Sig Bet?

No problem.  I will take the undefeated guy who has shown his grit winning the tough matches this season.  You can take Schopp, who hasn't wrestled in a month, and his last two matches were a 1-0 loss to Richards and a razor thin 4-3 win over Norstrem.

Sig Bet?

I don't do internet betting, but feel free to mark me down as taking Schopp to finish higher at NCAA's than Dardanes. What do I care when it is just a prediction. Nobody is better than 50% in predicting toss ups. Isn't this weekend enough proff of that. We both took Green over I Mar and I know I took TShirts too. 

But fine, I'll take Schopp. Remind me if I'm wrong. 

Tbar,

The only reason I pushed for it is you cherry picked my post calling Schopp a "certain" winner.  I never said Dardanes was a certain winner, I just believe he has done enough compared to the 133 field to warrant being a clear favorite.

Also, is sig betting really betting?  All we would be doing is agreeing on having a statement we may not truly endorse at the bottom of our posts for a set time period.  It's just a way to make you put your typing fingers(in lieu of money) where your internet mouth is!

Also, I was wrong 2 more times today! See Storley and Schiller.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:31 AM
Here is my PSU vs. Minnesota, just for you!

125: Conaway M. Dec ?  4-0 PSU
133: Dardanes Dec. Gulibon 4-3 PSU
141: Dardane M. Dec Moss 7-4 Minn
149: Beitz Dec. Short 7-7 TIE
157: Ness Dec. Alton 10-7 Minn
165: Wantzek Dec. Hammond 13-7 Minn
174: Storley Dec. Brown 16-7 Minn
184: Pfarr Dec. McCutcheon 19-7 Minn
197: Schiller Dec. McIntosh 22-7 Minn
285: Lawson Dec. Kroells 22-10 Minn

Obviously subject to who actually wrestles!

I wonder if anyone complaining about Byers' broadcasting has ever listened to the radio for any college sports from an opposing team's call? What Byers is doing is essentially the norm when you're the "home" broadcaster. BTN2Go is taking the PSU radio feed, like they do a lot of the times. 

The radio broadcast is for Penn State and the ads on the radio call are Penn State-centric. Shouldn't be surprised by the pro-PSU angle, that's his job. 

Do you agree with his non-stop disparagement of the officials.  I've never heard such whining in my life.

Only awarding Ness 2 backpoints for that cradle sequence (not sure if anyone else caught that). 3 bad calls that come to mind. 

I thought Ness was awarded 3 back points but it was then scored incorrectly.

No, rewatch the match. Pretty sure ref held up only 2 fingers

Just re-watched the Ness match. Ref definitely only awarded Ness 2 back points. That is the reason Byers kept saying the score was wrong, he assumed there were 3 backs awarded (like there should have been). Again, I'm not one to blast officials because I am one myself, but the guy today was just bad. 

Tbar,

The only reason I pushed for it is you cherry picked my post calling Schopp a "certain" winner.  I never said Dardanes was a certain winner, I just believe he has done enough compared to the 133 field to warrant being a clear favorite.

Also, is sig betting really betting?  All we would be doing is agreeing on having a statement we may not truly endorse at the bottom of our posts for a set time period.  It's just a way to make you put your typing fingers(in lieu of money) where your internet mouth is!

Actually, if you read my post carefully, I said I would take him for certain. A literal translation of that is that I am certain I would pick Schopp over Dardanes. His victory is not certain, but my picking him is. 

Just re-watched the Ness match. Ref definitely only awarded Ness 2 back points. That is the reason Byers kept saying the score was wrong, he assumed there were 3 backs awarded (like there should have been). Again, I'm not one to blast officials because I am one myself, but the guy today was just bad. 

I was wondering about that as well. Saw 2 fingers by the ref and thought how did he give Ness 3 and 2 for the same move. Then Byers starting talking about the score being wrong and I realized the ref only gave 2 points on what I thought was obviously 3.   

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Tbar,

Semantics aside, where do you believe Dardanes will finish?  No one else has really looked all that sharp at 133.  For all the Iowa hype on Clark, he has been solid, but he hasn't exactly looked like a world beater.  Schopp didn't look great his last time out and has been MIA for a while now.  Beckman has been inconsistent.  Gulibon has improved a ton, but still looks like he can be out horsed by the bigger 133's.  Hall fits a similar profile as Gulibon.  Brewer is a wild card.  He could be the guy at 133, but I want to see him wrestle the top guys first.

If Dardanes beats Clark comfortably, would you still not consider him a favorite?

Tbar,

Semantics aside, where do you believe Dardanes will finish?  No one else has really looked all that sharp at 133.  For all the Iowa hype on Clark, he has been solid, but he hasn't exactly looked like a world beater.  Schopp didn't look great his last time out and has been MIA for a while now.  Beckman has been inconsistent.  Gulibon has improved a ton, but still looks like he can be out horsed by the bigger 133's.  Hall fits a similar profile as Gulibon.  Brewer is a wild card.  He could be the guy at 133, but I want to see him wrestle the top guys first.

If Dardanes beats Clark comfortably, would you still not consider him a favorite?

I have no idea where he will finish. Could be first, could be 3rd or 4th. This msg. board at times reads like a running string of predictions, but the fact is that for the most part it is hard to predict NCAA Champions with any degree of certainty. It is easier if you have a Logan Steiber type, but Dardanes ain't Steiber.

There are about 7 guys who probably have enough talent to win 133 this year. Nothing is a sure bet, but I personally think Schopp has the most talent and is the hardest to take down. So that is why out of those 7 guys I would pick him, as opposed to Brewer or Dardanes. I am not saying Dardanes can't win, I'm just picking Schopp over him. Why is this a big deal? I don't care that you prefer Dardanes to Schopp. 

Tbar,

Relax, it isn't a big deal.  I only continued the conversation since YOU chose to list who you would take over Dardanes after I called him the favorite.  Also, I wasn't making it a prediction at that point.  I was calling Dardanes the current favorite.  I really wouldn't be sure I would pick him to win 133 until after B1G's and I see his bracket.

To me "favorite" is way different than a prediction.

Current favorite per weight class:

125:Very hard to pick, with the uncertainty surrounding Delgado, but Waters body of work puts him there.

133:Dardanes-undefeated with 10 bonus point wins out of 17 matches.  Has beaten ranked wrestlers Norstrem,DiCamillo, Gulibon, Bruno(2x), and Richards.

141:Some guy from tOSU

149:Now this weight is hard.  A has a loss to B, but B lost to C and C lost to A.  The defending, 1 loss Champ Tsirtsis gets it for now.

157:Another undefeated Minnesotan. NESS

165:Undefeated Dierenger.

174:Undefeated Kokesh.  May easily change after B1G's.

184:Dean.  One tourney blip.  Has had some big wins since.

197:Undefeated Cox.  All Star doesn't count.

285:Undefeated, defending Champ Gwiz.

Now, I wouldn't pick all of them to win.  I just think they have earned "favorite" status. Heck, right now I would pick differently at 125, 174 and 285.  I would also be very shaky at 149 and a bit unsure at 157,184 and 197.

For all of those blasting the ref - including the ridiculous announcer - go purchase an NCAA rules book and bury your nose in it. People are so quick to comment on something they are completely clueless about. The stall call that the ref hit in the 141-149 match when the PSU guy kicked out of bounds was TEXTBOOK and clearly spelled out in the rule book. The rule book states that it is stalling when in Rule 5.9.2.3 A wrestler shall be called for stalling if kicking out from a lower leg hold when this action results in the defending wrestler going out of the wrestling area

If you're going to start a debate and/or criticize someone in their craft, then you better know what you're talking about first.