Sign in to follow this  
robnh

Martinez versus Green on Friday

Martinez is 20-0 as a redshirt freshman. His toughest test yet is Green on Friday. I don't think we will see a football score. It will be a good match. Unfortunately the match is on BT+ (pay) only.

Yes, a couple of years ago. But the reason I point out Valencia is not because I think Green is better, it's the way Valencia beat him which has a lot of relevance to the way Green can wrestle. They both have the ability to shoot from the outside or from a loose tie-up, which is where Martinez is weak. It really looked to me like Valencia could take him down whenever he wanted with that blast double. Does not bode well for Martinez if Green shows up to wrestle.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

you forget green is not tough. Valencia is.

I agree, that's why I didn't predict a tech a la Valencia. But Green should do enough to win. 

I will be extremely impressed if Martinez wins not only because Green is very good but also because it will mean his defense has improved markedly.

If Martinez is currently undefeated, then when did Valencia "double him at will?"

In the finals of the '14 74KG Jr Fila World Team Trials. Valencia beat him 10 - 0 twice.  I sat in the first row and had a birdseye view. It was a complete slaughter.

In the finals of the '14 74KG Jr Fila World Team Trials. Valencia beat him 10 - 0 twice.  I sat in the first row and had a birdseye view. It was a complete slaughter.

ahh ... so Friday's match isn't a college folkstyle 157lb hour before weigh-in,  this will be a 74kg freestyle match, and wasn't that match basically last year?

I am not saying it accounted for the whole butt kicking but I would say Valenica is a rather big 74Kg wrestler and Martinez is small for that weight.

I don't see Green replicating Valenica in this match.  

I will take Martinez.

Edited by OtisCampbell

hammerlockthree,

There have been a TON of ridiculous comments on this board.  You may have just gone to the top of the list.  A high school kid, and I want to emphasize KID, is tough, but a 3x AA, who beat Ian Miller 13-1 for 3rd at last year's NCAA's is not?  Let's not forget he AA'd all 3 times at 157, which historically has been one of, if not the, most competitive weights.  I won't even go down the list of "tough" wrestlers he has beat down in his career.

Trolling at it's finest.  If not, ............................

Martinez has bonus in 17 out of 20 matches I believe.  Only non-bonus were 6-3 over Pack, 9-6 over Hvolbek, and 18-13 over Elder.  However, he really has not marquee wins.  His best wins are over Pack and Kelley (x2).  I'd take Green in this one just as long as he doesn't consistently go into the underhooks which I think he will stay away from.  Green by 3

Valancia took it to Martinez pretty good in their freestyle match last year but that was at 74K/163 lbs.  Valencia is currently wrestling at 170 lbs.  IMHO - Perry has made Martinez a better wrestler.  If Green can attack like Valencia, it could be a long day for Martinez.  If Martinez can get his offense going, then it should be a great match.

hammerlockthree,

There have been a TON of ridiculous comments on this board.  You may have just gone to the top of the list.  A high school kid, and I want to emphasize KID, is tough, but a 3x AA, who beat Ian Miller 13-1 for 3rd at last year's NCAA's is not?  Let's not forget he AA'd all 3 times at 157, which historically has been one of, if not the, most competitive weights.  I won't even go down the list of "tough" wrestlers he has beat down in his career.

Trolling at it's finest.  If not, ............................

Green's good at wrestling but he's just not a very tough competitor by the standards of multiple AAs. You're right though the toughest guy doesn't always win, but i usually refuse to pick a soft guy if i think it's gonna be a competitive match. Have you ever wrestled?

Edited by hammerlockthree