Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

Michigan no show in Vegas??

Haha well they did actually send their whole team there and everyone aside from Yates sort of bombed in the tournament. Now some were just bad draws such as Bruno drawing Stieber round 1 at 133 and others just falling to higher seeds.

125: Boyle 3-1 and in the round of 12

133: Bruno 2-2=eliminated

141: Jackson 1-2=eliminated

149: Grajales 1-2=defaulted out in consis

157: Salazar 1-2=defaulted out in 2nd round

165: Massa 2-1 and in the round of 12

174: Yates 3-0 and in the semis

184: Thomas 1-2=eliminated

197: Huntley 2-1 and in the round of 12

285: Apland 2-2=eliminated

A pretty pathetic showing by the wolverines, perhaps throwing out some redshirts to the young guys would have been more prudent.

Young guys?

Boyle= 4th year junior loses to unseeded

Grajalel= ready for social security loses to unseeded

Apland= 5th year senior loses to TWO unseeded one from the powerhouse Cal Baptist!

All three of these had redshirts (Grajales two, one in high school). This is a coaching/preparation problem plain and simple.

As a Michigan fan I am embarassed!

A pretty pathetic showing by the wolverines, perhaps throwing out some redshirts to the young guys would have been more prudent.

Young guys?

Apland= 5th year senior loses to TWO unseeded one from the powerhouse Cal Baptist!

All three of these had redshirts (Grajales two, one in high school). This is a coaching/preparation problem plain and simple.

I would be more inclined to give a pass to Apland than the others since he is just coming back from injury and this was his first competition of the year.

McFarland has a long history of producing fine wrestlers. Bormet's work training freestylers is well known and Pritzlaff did an excellent job at Wisconsin. There's probably a reasonable explanation as to why this team has performed badly in Vegas and my guess is these guys will figure it out.

But...the question that is starting to emerge is whether or not these three reputable coaches can work well together as a unit.

Unless someone poisoned the Wolverine water cooler, I can't imagine what a reasonable explanation would be. There isn't one. They were all coming back from injury? They all cut 10% of their bodyweight the day of weigh-ins? They all forgot to work out for a month straight? The team looked out of shape, slow, and lacking any fire. They were the anti-tOSU, and not to absolve the wrestlers from responsibility altogether, but I agree that this is largely on the coaches when their entire team mails it in.

Been to their practices and their meets at home they will be fine. Yes they didn't wretle good at Vegas we can all sit back and amazing how we have all the answers. These coaches get along just fine and the wrestlers are good. This team is the best of what they have in the room the best wrestlers are wrestling now if they aren't wrestling to our expectations oh well maybe we should go to the practices and do the coaching or maybe we should do the wrestling i am sure that we all in our minds know the answers and could do a better job. I for 1 am not embarrased at all just a bad tournament for them. Go Blue

It's not how U Start the Race that Counts, it's how U Finish it {Do well in March & Nobody Remembers Nov} - This sort of sentiment has infected the sport. The fact of the matter is Michigan failed to show, and no matter what happens in March this crappy performance will be remembered by lots of people. Grajales in particular continues to underperform.

Not that bad to be honest. As a team they didn't meet expectations and a few individuals did 'bad'. However, as a team, they could still place 4 guys.

Grajales and Jackson are the two that I think under performed the most.

Massa has proven that he is right there with most the top 20, but after his losses to Wilps (who just had a close one with #4 Yates of VT) and Toal, I think it is clear he'd benefit from a redshirt in a big way (in that he'd be one of the top guys next year).

Boyle's loss to Rauser, though unranked, isn't like he lost to some slouch. Rauser is tough. He had the toughest first round match out of any of the seeded 125lbers.

I agree Thomas would have benefited from a redshirt, but he'll improve a lot during this season.

Apland coming off from an injury right into a tournament like this has to be tough. I would have liked him to see a dual or two first, where he doesn't have to compete multiple times in one day right off the bat.

I hope they get healthy and step it up here soon. I'm a State fan all the way (not much to cheer about lately, but I cheer anyhow), but Michigan represents us as well and I am in their corner as long as its not opposing MSU.

Haha well they did actually send their whole team there and everyone aside from Yates sort of bombed in the tournament. Now some were just bad draws such as Bruno drawing Stieber round 1 at 133 and others just falling to higher seeds.

I thought Grajales went 1-1 and got hurt in his second match then medical defaulted before his third.

I thought Grajales went 1-1 and got hurt in his second match then medical defaulted before his third.

That might have been the case. I put these records down just from looking at the brackets so while I may have listed it as a loss, it might not count as an actual loss on the record.

Updates so far.

125: Boyle loses in the round of 12 and is eliminated

165: Massa with the fall in the rd of 12 and tech fall the next round. will place top 6

174: Yates still to wrestle in the semis

197: Huntley wins in round of12 and will place

So 3 placers for Michigan, certainly would have expected a much better showing for sure.

Young guys?

be careful calling out coaches on here-some of the readers get hurt feelings.

As much as I understand giving UofM credit for putting their best product on the mat, what the team gains is not enough to waste a year of development for 3 freshman that have very high ceilings for what they can accomplish over their careers. In addition, they have another stellar class set to come in next year. We all know the Wolverines have shown they are putting a big emphasis on Wrestling with the new facilities and the big name assistants. With that I am sure everyone knows it should take some time to make big gains and rushing to put their best product out on the mat just seems like a mistake this group shouldn't have made. I could see a decision like this made by Minkel but I am still surprised McFarland chose this road to travel.

I thought they usually send their whole Team to Vegas?

As they did this time as well.

I'm a little hesitant to offer explanations for inconsistent performances (people will say that I'm just making excuses), but this tournament was primarily a wash due to injury and inexperience. Grajales, Salazar, Yates, Huntley, and Apland were all dealing with injuries at some point (Salazar probably tore his ACL); and though they've had some high points, the five freshmen in the lineup still are pretty green this early in the season; even Massa, who had some pretty impressive showings, is still learning how to approach the guys he can't own like he did pretty much everyone else in high school. So it's a work in progress. Not much more.