Sign in to follow this  
Tech_fall15

Dake, Taylor, Burroughs ducking Askren!

This is the first post in months and a valid argument these guys wrestle 1 or 2 times a year a match for the fans would be good for the sport and not hurt their training im sure askren would meet them at whatever weight they want outside of something stupidly low.

Edited by Tech_fall15

Don't get your feelings hurt brother I wasn't saying you are ducking anyone if its not one thing then its another it would be good for the casual fan and the sport to create some of these matches the purest attitude is ultimately hurting the sport of wrestling from growing. These guys compete 1 or 2 times a year some years that is not enough for fans to rally behind a sport and grow it. Askren is obviously trying to self promote but also trying to grow the sport he loves. Dake or Taylor or even JB stepping up and wrestling guys like Askren would benefit everyone down the road.

You are accusing three of the best wrestlers in the world at 74kg of ducking a second tier MMA fighter and retired freestyler. It's an idiotic statement. Just calling a spade a spade.

If Askren wants to wrestle these guys and get paid he should enter the World Team Trials. Pretty sure top 3 get money so if Ben is so confident in his abilities it's a 'guaranteed' payday.

Dake broke his friggin' shoulder.

I hear there are some "world team trials" and such that these guys usually enter. Perhaps Askren wants to give it a shot?

Dunno about Taylor but Burroughs competes more than most guys at his level. He just had a kid and coming off an injury.

Is it possible that these guys just do not like Askren and the people he associates with and therefore are not willing to participate ?  Askren's personality and tactics may tic some people off. These guys do not owe Askren or the fans anything. These matches would be nice to see but they are not obligated.

Ignoring the troll job, this line from Dake was interesting:

"...because there was no point in all the freestyle guys getting tossed around in Greco by the Greco guys."

As someone who stood up against a world champ about a month ago, i would have imagined that he thinks there is at least some reason for it. 

Sounds like quite a painful injury though, hope he has a strong recovery.

Wow, are any of the posters one of the named ",runners"?

Its amazing the butt hurt level people reach. None, of these guys respond to this stuff, plus its just a question. I like what askren and flo are doing.

It would make the sport more marketable. But, people who are trying to promote the sport need to realize the wrestling world is not progressive til it is threatened. So these new ways of making money and promoting the sport will not be accepted until wrestling is threatened again.

I would love to see wrestling pro!is as intense as basketball promos on ESPN. But its not how our sport wants to be seen. Kills me really.

Was a good match. Clayton wrestled smart and did not scramble on the mat. It was clear Clayton did not want to scramble. Doubled leg works against Ben! 10-3 final. Clayton wrestled like a russian against Ben. Cautious and picking his shots. He had some size advantage but not much. I think this will cool things off as far as Ben's challenges. So no challeging Ruth or even Varner is what I heard if he beat Foster. Max also lost to Deron Winn but that was very close. I like these matches and I respect Askren trying to get some interest together. Taylor vs Askren would be the most logical size wise of all the super matches and they both love funk! Dake may not come back from an injury like that. Shoulders have so much range of motion, are hell and never truly heal, just ask Darrion Caldwell.

Edited by PRyan2012

Shoulders have so much range of motion, are hell and never truly heal, just ask Darrion Caldwell.

True enough in general, but Caldwell (when signing with Bellator) said that his shoulder was stronger than ever.  

Caldwell credits Dr. James Andrews, whose other patients have included Troy Aikman, Charles Barkley, Tom Brady, Michael Jordan and other elite athletes.  

Again, not disagreeing with your main point. However, Caldwell may prove to be one of the rare exceptions to the rule.  

But only time will tell.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Unless you need some extra cash, crave attention, or are in a down phase of your training cycle I just don't see the point of a guy trying to make a world team taking one of these bouts with Askren.  Dake facing Jufalakyan was fun because he took on a reigning world champ, albeit in another style, and challenged a particular aspect of his overall game, which can be applied to freestyle.  I just don't see facing a MMA fighter as something that will take a guy to the next level in wrestling.  Yeah, I get that Askren was a great wrestler, but that was years ago and it's not what he does anymore.  JMHO.

Unless you need some extra cash, crave attention, or are in a down phase of your training cycle I just don't see the point of a guy trying to make a world team taking one of these bouts with Askren.  Dake facing Jufalakyan was fun because he took on a reigning world champ, albeit in another style, and challenged a particular aspect of his overall game, which can be applied to freestyle.  I just don't see facing a MMA fighter as something that will take a guy to the next level in wrestling.  Yeah, I get that Askren was a great wrestler, but that was years ago and it's not what he does anymore.  JMHO.

askren is the one craving attention and needing some extra cash

trying to attract wrestling fans to be interested in his fighting cuz mma fans dont care to watch him

I don't think Askren needs extra cash... Its well-known he has an extremely lucrative deal with the organization he is currently signed with.  But I do agree he craves attention.  I think this is to draw attention to his "brand" in general

IMO, I would take Dake, Taylor, and Burroughs over Askren, but they don't have much to gain from the matches other than a few extra bucks which I think they are all doing pretty well for themselves right now anyways

I'd bet that Askren makes more money than any of the guys on the world team..those matches are not about momey to him..he is trying to promote the sport but it is hard when very few people will risk it

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2012/November/15/US-Olympic-Wrestling-Medalists-Cash-In.aspx

burroughs made 365 thous for worlds and olympics

he makes 60 thous a year with bennies coaching at nebraska

add in sponsors camps other tournament prizes and everything else and he likely tops what askren has made in the last few years

[Askren] is trying to promote the sport but it is hard when very few people will risk it

Askren only wants to promote himself. If he wanted to promote the sport, he could sign up for the US Open 74kg and wear singlets with his sponsors' logos on it. Jason Welch wears a Wrestling Prep singlet in every competition, so it's apparently allowed. I'd love to see a wrestling promotion feature Burroughs vs Askren, but let's not pretend that Asrekn has altruistic motives. 

I'd bet that Askren makes more money than any of the guys on the world team..those matches are not about momey to him..he is trying to promote the sport but it is hard when very few people will risk it

Luckily there are no glaring contradictions in this statement.