Sign in to follow this  
AKHUNTER

McMullen should be suspended!!! and the Ref's as well.

Is there anyone else that thinks that THAT was anything less than "flagrant misconduct"? He was kicking so hard he could have broken bones or concussed Telford.

As for the ref's my gosh they should never be allowed to ref again ANYWHERE. Their number one job is participant SAFETY. 

I am from Alaska and have no dog in this fight but that was terrible.....and bad for the sport.

Brands was getting on the ref after the match..I am sure that was what it was about.

I think it looked much worse than it actually was. Telford did not looked phased in the least. Didn't bother him one bit.

I am not an Iowa fan, but credit to Telford for not taking advantage of a situation that he could have by faking trama.

I kinda did wonder about jeva doing some thing similar, but to me it looked like McMullen's was more extreme. More kicks and more often.

Multiple true kicks (not pushing off) to the head and shoulders. Telford didn't overreact, and I guess it didn't cause bleeding or a concussion, but it looked flagrant to me. Ref should not allow that. A kid could end up with facial bone fractures.

The Iowa wrestler was penalized when he did it tbert. Why would the fans not expect the same of an opponent?

The 'if he didn't want to get mule kicked he should have let go' argument is dumb as hell too. If that's the case, why have illegal moves or potentially dangerous at all? Don't want to get your shoulder dislocated by an illegal arm bar? Go over. Don't want to get slammed on the mat without a safe return on your head and have your neck broken? Shouldn't have got lifted.

When Dziewa did it and was penalized I was thinking "Sure that makes sense" It should have been called tonight, but I didn't expect it from this ref. It seemed like the main ref tonight was more worried about not being intimidated by the Iowa fans, more so than actually calling a good meet. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Just watched it again, with slow motion. I counted about 7 kicks. Most were to the shoulders and back, and some were glancing, or could be more like pushes. But 2 were clearly kicks to the neck and back of head. The announcers commented on Telford "getting kicked in the head," once live, and again as they showed the replay. After the match, you could see Telford's shoulder looked discolored, presumeably bruised.

While admittedly an Iowa fan, I can honestly say, I didn't like when Jeva kicked, and had no problem with him being penalized. But Jeva's was nothing like what McMullen did. McMullen should've been penalized, and the ref blew it.

That type of kicking should be nipped in the bud. Somewhere between the 17 second and 13 second mark of the last OT period McMullin should have been dinged a point. Telford was also allowed to ride the ankle from the 11 second mark to 2 seconds when stalling was finally whistled. Maybe it was compensation for being kicked?

I just rewatched both ride outs, McMullans and Telfords. When McMullan was on top, Telford got to his feet in one second, and at 20 seconds remaining as McMullan is initiating a mat return the ref hands him a warning. So when McMullan was on top the warning came even before the 5 seconds had elapsed and despite the fact McMullan was in the process of making a mat return on Telford.

When Telford was on top you can freeze ther action with 20 seconds remaining and Telford is on the ankle. Telford never gets above the knee and even there he is only at the knee for maybe a couple of seconds. Telford spent virtually the entire time between 20 seconds and 2 seconds on the ankle with no warning until the 2 second mark. The kicks that I saw were all on the shoulders, despite what the homer announcer said.

Telford was clearly stalling and clearly in violation of a point of emphasis this year, but the ref was in Carver so no call until it was too late to matter. McMullan, on the other hand, had to be perfect to avoid getting a stalling call against him. The right guy won that match. 

I just rewatched both ride outs, McMullans and Telfords. When McMullan was on top, Telford got to his feet in one second, and at 20 seconds remaining as McMullan is initiating a mat return the ref hands him a warning. So when McMullan was on top the warning came even before the 5 seconds had elapsed and despite the fact McMullan was in the process of making a mat return on Telford.

When Telford was on top you can freeze ther action with 20 seconds remaining and Telford is on the ankle. Telford never gets above the knee and even there he is only at the knee for maybe a couple of seconds. Telford spent virtually the entire time between 20 seconds and 2 seconds on the ankle with no warning until the 2 second mark. The kicks that I saw were all on the shoulders, despite what the homer announcer said.

Telford was clearly stalling and clearly in violation of a point of emphasis this year, but the ref was in Carver so no call until it was too late to matter. McMullan, on the other hand, had to be perfect to avoid getting a stalling call against him. The right guy won that match. 

Really? Did you watch any of the other matches? This guy was doing no favors for Iowa. Both guys were stalling in overtime and they were both called. The kick could have easily been a point.  

Not saying McMullan didn't wrestle a good match or he was not "The Right Guy" but you know if Telford was the one booting him in the head and he end up winning there would be a 5 page long thread on this forum about the thuggery. 

Like what was pointed out before, I am guessing the ref didn't want to make the penalty point call and hence let Telford hold on longer than he should have. Which is just dumb refereeing since he put the wrestler in danger.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

Why should kicking be allowed at all? Shoulders or head.

Kicking should not be allowed, but pushing off should. It then goes to being a judgment call. I would happen to agree with the judgment that he was kicking, as opposed to pushing off. So I agree with you on that. But Telford was also clearly stalling. 

Kicking should not be allowed, but pushing off should. It then goes to being a judgment call. I would happen to agree with the judgment that he was kicking, as opposed to pushing off. So I agree with you on that. But Telford was also clearly stalling. 

If they call the penalty they stop the match and restart. Kinda hard to move up when a guy can break your jaw by doing so. 

If they call the penalty they stop the match and restart. Kinda hard to move up when a guy can break your jaw by doing so. 

You are required to move up to avoid the warning, and then to avoid penalty. If the ref wanted to be consistent then he should have fired off a warning to one or the other, take your pick, at 15 seconds left. He didn't. 

BTW, Telford did raise his own body up in that sequence, but he still never climbed McMullan. He was clearly in need of being warned. The ref warned McMullan, so he should have also warned Telford. It is called consistency.