Sign in to follow this  
HoundedHawk

Refs won't enforce leaving the mat, time for the PUSHOUT rule!!

Or the "KEEP IN THE CIRCLE" RULE, whatever. 

It's time to stop talking about it and implement it.

Freestyle has completely proven it adds excitement and keeps the wrestlers wrestling.

First, it will prepare our guys for the international style.

Second, the current rules inhibit the ultimate goal...wrestling!  It draws the passive/tired wrestler to the edge of a mat like a magnet.

I just am so very, very tired of watching wrestlers leave the mat.  It wastes so much time. I want to watch wrestling.

Does anyone know how or if officials are monitored? Does the NCAA review how officials are calling matches and giving them feedback? I just watched a NCAA officials video that was just released which clarifies specifically how to make the call when the top wrestler drops to an ankle. The video is pretty straight forward and gives specific instructions. The video was clear in stating that there should be no delay when starting the count. As soon as the top wrestler grabs the ankle the official is to start counting out loud and waiving hand for 5 sec. If 5 sec has been reached then top man is called for stalling. I have seen Many matches since the release of this video and it appears some officials are just calling it their way. is there a head official at the NCAA that will contact officials that are not following the instructions?

I don't think the NCAA wants to admit FILA has a better method, but experience is the best teacher. Looks to me like international wrestlers are circling in all on their own with not a word from the official. But I don't think the initiator/ aggressor should be punished in a scramble that results in his being taken o.o.b. On the other hand, NCAA's 7 minutes is better than FILA's 6 with a break between rounds. Conditioning has to be factor.

There are monitors. Mike Allen (retired) is at some meets and tournaments watching the refs and taking notes.

Edited by Cooch1

Agree. Pushout is better than stalling. 

Not only is it better period, the refs aren't calling leaving the mat even as stalling per the rules, unless they've left numerous times, and then "maybe."

It's time to take it out of the ref's hands.  Make it mandatory.  

After watching this sport for 40 years I've come to the conclusion I prefer to watch wrestler's wrestling than constantly walking back to the center.

With the more athletic wrestler playing the edge in todays style, there needs to be a rule.  However I have mixed feelings on calling it the push out rule.   I don't like pushing out much more than I like the bail out.   We have a rule ... it needs to be enforced from the get go.  I watched a recent big 10, I think Wisconsin / Purdue where the ref enforced it from the beginning.  Nobody bitched because it was called equally.

The Pushout rule has been an incredible success in freestyle.  It is way overdue in college. I am so sick of watching collegiate matches that go 1-1 into overtime (escape escape).  7 boring minutes of two guys pretending to be aggressive.

Seriously, how many of you want to scream when the ref "warns" a guy for stalling with 15 seconds left in the 3rd period (knowing it won't matter) when that is all they have been doing the entire match

I think the reason the current stalling rule is not being enforced is due to a lack "concreteness." The step out is third rail, unmistakable and must be called. Backing out is subject to the whims and emotions of the official. He may want to subvert the rule on account of fearing having to call too much stalling and decide the match instead of letting it go to the wrestlers. Then the wrestlers sense this and break the rule even more. It's all downhill.

The step out totally absolves the ref. Out is out; his hands are tied and must call it otherwise he's fired!!

I was genuinely excited at the beginning of the season with the discussion that an attempt was going to be made to encourage action.

After watching many matches and duals over the past 12 weeks, I can say that NOT much has changed in the way that matches are officiated.

Disappointing.   

As the vast majority of people  associated with the sport agree that this is a SERIOUS problem, what is it going to take to encourage/reward action ?  I just don't understand...................

Neutral=reward pushout

Referee position=punish top man pushout

Correct?

Those two rules fix maybe 80% of what's wrong with NCAA wrestling. In the rear standing position, if the bottom man steps out of bounds with both feet, give a free neutral restart. 

Neutral=reward pushout

Referee position=punish top man pushout

Correct?

Good question, as this is a much different sport than freestyle.  How does it work from referee's?

For example, bottom stands up and attempts/fakes peeling hands while running to escape.  Top man chases hip to hip and they go out of bounds.  Point and referee's?  Point and neutral? Neutral and no point? Optional(Top)/no point?  Optional(bottom)/no point?   Referee's and no point?

I like neutral and no point.  That will dramatically reduce scoring in many matches, but place more emphasis on TDs.

during folkstyle mat wrestling, whenever there is a stoppage (out of bounds, stalemate or stall call, but maybe not for potentially dangerous) i like the idea of giving bottom man the choice of either restart on bottom as it is now or, getting a no scoring neutral restart.

the idea being if the top man can not exert full control to keep the bottom man on the mat and in bounds while working towards a pin, then the bottom should have the option of stopping riding time and restarting on their feet or, staying down and earning the escape point.

plus i like anything that adds decisions and strategy to a match.  

I was against it for a long time but I think it is worth a try.  Question I have is (if I can do this and make sense?)  Does it change wrestling on the edge?  For example now, I love that out of bounds is not called until everyone is completely out.  What this does is make for some good takedowns on the edge.  With the push out rule would it be stopped and a point awarded as soon as someone steps out?   If so, would that stop some of that action?  So we are close to the edge and a guy shots, there is a flury, a scramble and one guy (maybe defensive guy) ends up on top in bounds.  Is it stopped because on the shot, the defender stepped out?  Easy answer I guess is it only is aloud if a break in the action or no action, or they are completely out?

For those who are biased against the pushout because of its' FILA link it should be noted that Real Pro Wrestling - right here in the USA - implemented the pushout in 2004.  FILA was smart enough to adopt it a year later. 

It just isn't true that the rule turns neutral wrestling into a Sumo match.  International wrestlers have developed a strong skillset around the edge of the mat.  It is no easy thing to shove an Iranian out of bounds.  You think for sure he is going to get pushed out and he redirects the motion and the other guy goes out.  The safest strategy is just to wrestle in the center.  The pushout works like an electric fence does for livestock.  We need it.  

Freestyle has a standup and no point when pushouts occur during mat wrestling.

My personal suggestion- you go out during a riding situation, means the top guy wasn't in control and an escape is awarded. Not sure how that would apply to takedowns on the edge though.