Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

First ever dual with a ref "unaware of what was happening."

I have listened to him before, so I was ready for it.  Still, the one theme he had that I couldn't ignore was his saying the ref needs to look at the clock before he makes stall calls.  That killed me.  The ONE thing he shouldn't be doing is looking at the clock when making that call.  It should have ZERO influence on the call........

I have listened to him before, so I was ready for it.  Still, the one theme he had that I couldn't ignore was his saying the ref needs to look at the clock before he makes stall calls.  That killed me.  The ONE thing he shouldn't be doing is looking at the clock when making that call.  It should have ZERO influence on the call........

This was hilarious to me too. 

I am watching this match a bit late and still do not know the final score but felt compelled after the Beitz/Short match to post on here.

Why do I have to pay a subscription to watch Big 10 matches and have to listen to the worst "HOMER" announcer I have possibly ever heard?  This is shaping up to be a really good dual and I want to hit the mute button but you do not always see stalling calls, etc so I am forced to listen to that guy.

This is awful for wrestling for 3 reasons.

1.  It is in Rec Hall (newsflash PSU fans, other fans are getting tired of being crammed in between two fat guys for 2 hours, I've heard multiple complaints from regular fans).

2.  It is not on TV for "EVERYONE" to see.

3.  The "HOMER" announcer actually turns people off.

I am a PA guy through and through (but not a PSU fan) and I always thought we prided ourselves to not put the match in the officials hands. All I hear is whining.

Interesting comments. I am not a computer moron but for some reason I didn't have any sound. Now I read this post and it dawned on me that I really didn't see any calls or non calls that I didn't agree with. Just an observation.

Edited by jstock

The ref should have hit Chris Dardanes for stalling multiple times in the first bout of the dual. Guillibon did all of the action for six and a half minutes or more.  Horribly called match. 

I think the ref realized how badly he blew that after the bout (or his assistant got in his ear between bouts) and he woke up on the stalling calls. 

Who was this HOMER announcer. He needs to put on the stripes and try them out.  I also thought the officials did a pretty good job.  I saw neither coach jumping out of the chairs complaining. BIG 10 needs to get rid of this guy.

Disgraceful announcing.  It's one thing to be a hometown announcer but this wasn't seeing things through blue tinted glasses it was just making things up.

It was whining and complaining about things that weren't there.  It is horrible that someone who is suppose to be the eyes for fans who can't see it themselves would be so misleading.  No wonder Penn State fans always think they are robbed and everyone is out to get them.

Byers called Chris Dardane's singlet "burgundy and yellow".  180 years of maroon and gold probably doesn't penetrate his blue/white fixation.

He then proclaimed that Chris is known for his strong riding and was ecstatic when Gulibon quickly escaped.  Chris is known for cutting opponents not riding them.

His nonstop tirade against the officials turned him into a parody of announcing.  The highlight of his derogatory comments was when he was dumbfounded at a turtled up Law being called for stalling.  He must have not seen Ness with his hands in the air looking quizzically at the ref.  During the Lawson match he stated that PSU would win the dual by criteria if Gulibon wins by tech fall.  Apparently unaware that a tech fall is not the same as the real criteria of falls, forfeits, defaults, and disqualifications. 

The most puzzling aspect of this meet for me is all the people who praise Byers as the best announcer in college wrestling.  I think he is the worst.

and mind telling us what dual you are talking about?  If it was one of today's, then I'm sure it was no where close to being the first.

I think your sarcasm meter must be off.  The announcer for the MN/PSU dual sounded like one of the biggest buffoons I've heard. Maybe you weren't listening to him, but if you were I think you'd get the tongue-in-cheek comments.

Concur I'm actually watching it now and this announcer is annoying as hell. I want to fly to PA and throat punch him. I love all the "taking his time" comments about gopher guys getting back to center when they arrive like 1/10 of a second behind the POS guys. The announcer was seriously unprofessional.

I would have loved for C Dardanes to make a mockery of his #1 ranking but he didn't and he was not stalling. I thought it was funny how he said something to the effect that Dardanes was trying to figure out how to stop Guillibon's attacks when he was squashing them from the start. 

I have preached for a while how bad this guy is and I would get jumped all over on this board by the PSU fans of how he is the best in the business.  Glad to see I am not alone anymore.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

I had never heard him before and thought he was a little out of line with the first match.  I realized he had no clue what he was talking about when ( I think it was Moss or Beitz) dove out of bounds to avoid getting taken down and was hit for stalling.  Byers went nuts, but it was called perfectly.  There is no discretion in that call...

I think he then was complaining when the ref was looking for a fall for Ness and the wrestlers went out of bounds.  He was looking for the fall, which is exactly what he is supposed to be doing in that situation.  It is the assistants job to look at the out of bounds in that scenario.

The head table should never have told him the ref's name because he just kept calling it out and complaining.  Very obnoxious in the opinion of an unbiased viewer (me) and the 3 Penn State fans that I watched with.

no announcer should ever mention an officials name while talking about controversial calls!  that is how people get hurt

horrible announcer but the reason people havent complained about him more is because psu has mostly dominated the last few years.  now that they arent winning his true colors are showing.  dont know what is worse his complaining about everything like a middle school kid or the penn state fans that like to say they would win if they wrestled their best guys but they decided to sit them all out this year.  honestly i dont know how penn state fans can even enjoy that

honestly i dont know how penn state fans can even enjoy that

It's like you haven't been paying attention to some of their base the past few. Sure, some are alright people, but they have a fair share of weirdos.

Their press release writer, baghdad bob, was writing these horribly tilted match recaps years before Carl came to town.

This thread made me go watch/listen to the dual. Kinda wish I hadn't, the announcing got me fired up. Just awful. I've actually noticed this official before - because I think he's quite good. Byers can't help himself, he drops pot shots every period of every match. I feel bad for the ref. He's getting ripped for a full 90 minutes. Byers continually using his name makes it feel personal. But I guess for most of us Byers looks like the idiot. Ref did a good job.

Edited by MrBurns

Charles Montgomery Burns, there's a reason you think he's quite good...he is! Anybody remember the controversy in the 197-pound match with Snyder and Burak a couple of weeks ago? He's the one that caught the rule requiring Burak get choice in both the second and third periods, plus the automatic stall warning against Snyder. There's a reason he's regularly chosen to officiate at Nationals.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the dual today. It's pretty rare I watch anything that isn't televised, because I'm usually typing results on my computer to the point where I won't get the chance to watch anything, and even if a meet is on my TV, I usually have one eye, at most, on it. By the sounds of things, though, the Penn State people seem to want to show up at his residence with pitchforks and torches, if not worse. Not sure if it's because they heard Byers, or because he legitimately deserved it, but usually Byers gets pretty fired up about those sorts of things, even if it's the other team that he feels is getting screwed.