Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

First ever dual with a ref "unaware of what was happening."

I kept thinking "is this as awful as I think it is?" Thank god for my sanity.

Byers was just flat wrong on a LOT of things, notably Chris Dardanes "stalling", Beitz clearly fleeing the mat, saying the ref should know what time before calling stalling, and thinking Law's turtling maneuver was some kind of activity.

Jeff Byers is the Penn State announcer and well regarded OUTSIDE the PSU family for his broadcast work. Does he have a PSU slant in his radio calls, absolutely, but that's normal for any home announcer in any sport. Just imagine if they synced up Ironside for Iowa-Minnesota. Some of you need to get some perspective. 

There is a key difference between Ironside and Byers.  Ironside is ABSOLUTELY as slanted as Byers.  Still, he has the Gable outlook.  If an Iowa wrestler is stalling or wrestling like a "turd" he will call him out for it.  I can guarantee he wouldn't call out the ref for not knowing there wasn't much time left on the clock when his guy was called for stalling!

Still, if I was a PSU fan I would prefer having his announcing style vs. someone fully impartial.  The only reason I think this is such a big deal is because most on here tuned into BTN2GO to see a BTN broadcast.  They were a bit surprised to end up with a PSU broadcast.  In the end, no harm no foul.  It added another entertainment element.

can't imagine fan base preferring that level of bias. the closest to that i'm familiar is the Yankess guy on YES that does the THE HA HA HA YANKEES WIN thing but even he's not this bad. listened to the Lehigh Cornell match the same day and the Lehigh announcers weren't even close. 

next time anyone hears a btn plus match with a home announcer this slanted please start a thread. a this point i think it would be fun to compare. 

There is a key difference between Ironside and Byers.  Ironside is ABSOLUTELY as slanted as Byers.  Still, he has the Gable outlook.  If an Iowa wrestler is stalling or wrestling like a "turd" he will call him out for it.  I can guarantee he wouldn't call out the ref for not knowing there wasn't much time left on the clock when his guy was called for stalling!

Still, if I was a PSU fan I would prefer having his announcing style vs. someone fully impartial.  The only reason I think this is such a big deal is because most on here tuned into BTN2GO to see a BTN broadcast.  They were a bit surprised to end up with a PSU broadcast.  In the end, no harm no foul.  It added another entertainment element.

There may be another few differences as well. Like actually having been in the trenches. From what I can tell Byers does not understand a lot of the nuances of college wrestling, or at least acts like he doesn't. He calls a lot of the action like he may have never wrestled a match in his life. Like acting like the PSU guy just pinned the defending national champ when they get an intentional release.  

And it is not his intensity that we dislike. It is the weird times he brings out the intensity and the unabashed one-sidedness. 

TBarr- You are probably right that Tom Brands would find these comments silly. He loves anyone with passion for the sport and Byers certainly does have that.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

Byers has won a National Radio Broadcaster Award and a National Wrestling Journalism Award, both from his wrestling community peers. Posters here acting as if he doesn't understand wrestling sound a little like sour grapes.

Yes, he is animated. Yes, he's a homer. Yes too he knows what he is talking about, even if you disagree with his takle on things. And even I can find a couple of things where he probably went too far yesterday, but he still is good for the sport. 

Byers has won a National Radio Broadcaster Award and a National Wrestling Journalism Award, both from his wrestling community peers. Posters here acting as if he doesn't understand wrestling sound a little like sour grapes.

Yes, he is animated. Yes, he's a homer. Yes too he knows what he is talking about, even if you disagree with his takle on things. And even I can find a couple of things where he probably went too far yesterday, but he still is good for the sport. 

And Public Enemy is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

I would have said Byers did a good job except his judgement about the officiating was hopelessly biased and inaccurate.   He should publicly apologize to the official.  I found him especially ridiculous when Matt Brown closed out a period by trapping Storleys heels for about 8 secs.  Everyone seemed to understand that was a stall tactic except Byers.  

And JD Bergman does a better job.  

Joe Morgan won many broadcasting awards. he was horrendous at it. 

Otis,

What are you trying to say.  Public Enemy were innovators well ahead of their time.  Who would have thought to hang a large clock around their neck?  Flavor Flav was the entertainment.  Chuck D. was the Voice.

Also, Rolling Stone listed them as #44 in their Immortals: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time in 2004.  Byers' has nothing on them!

Otis,

What are you trying to say.  Public Enemy were innovators well ahead of their time.  Who would have thought to hang a large clock around their neck?  Flavor Flav was the entertainment.  Chuck D. was the Voice.

Also, Rolling Stone listed them as #44 in their Immortals: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time in 2004.  Byers' has nothing on them!

Often agree with you but right now I'm with the troll Otis.  The Rock Hall Voters are elitists who love bands like Blondie and Beastie Boys while ignoring great groups like the Doobie Brothers or Grand Funk Railroad.   People who live in cities like Cleveland, Milwaukee and Detroit can tell you who belongs in the rock hall.  These writers are so full of it.  

I grew up on the outskirts of Detroit.  I now live 8 miles north of it.  Does that mean my endorsing Public Enemy holds some sway? ;)

In the end, I disagree with no one when it comes to music.  It is so diverse and people have such a ridiculous range of interest.  I just found it funny that Otis chose Public Enemy as his comparison.

Yes, my four favorite wrestling clips:

"Stallmate" "Chickenwing" "Fist to the back" "nothing goin"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8zKqv8drxQ

More "fist to the back"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E7TQMFXYHA

Worst officiating call ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88lKtCpwDfs

Nickerson, was a stud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRyESsr7SJM

I would have said Byers did a good job except his judgement about the officiating was hopelessly biased and inaccurate.   He should publicly apologize to the official.  I found him especially ridiculous when Matt Brown closed out a period by trapping Storleys heels for about 8 secs.  Everyone seemed to understand that was a stall tactic except Byers.  

And JD Bergman does a better job.  

I totally agree on JD.  With absolutely no experience, he made it look easy.

Byers is suffering from one of two different things based on what I heard from him yesterday.

1.  He is grossly overrated and does not understand the sport.

2.  He was knowingly making things up which makes him dishonest.

His calling the official by his name shows a serious lack of professionalism and getting awards as a wrestling announcer from the wrestling community is nothing.  It's not like he is going up against Costas or Buck.  Who is his main competition?  Bader?

I totally agree on JD.  With absolutely no experience, he made it look easy.

Byers is suffering from one of two different things based on what I heard from him yesterday.

1.  He is grossly overrated and does not understand the sport.

2.  He was knowingly making things up which makes him dishonest.

His calling the official by his name shows a serious lack of professionalism and getting awards as a wrestling announcer from the wrestling community is nothing.  It's not like he is going up against Costas or Buck.  Who is his main competition?  Bader?

The National Wrestling Media Association named him Wrestling's Broadcaster of the Year a few years back.

http://content.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=16396

Win Magazine Named him Wrestling Journalist if the Year. 

http://www.win-magazine.com/win-awards/journalist-of-the-year/penn-state-broadcaster-jeff-byers-named-wins-journalist-of-the-year/

His competition is everyone involved with writing about or broadcasting wrestling. Given how many schools have wrestling commentators, plus the various websites and networks that hire people you have a lot of people. Also, Jeff's father was a wrestling coach so he grew up around the sport. You guys are just kidding yourselves if you think he has no knowledge of the sport.

Here is Scott Casber from Takedown Wrestling interviewing Jeff Byers. http://www.takedownradio.com/articles/8384

Do you guys honestly think Scott Casber would interview someone who doesn't know anything about the sport? Because that is what you'd have to believe to think Byers doesn't know wrestling.