Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

First ever dual with a ref "unaware of what was happening."

Some Vintage Jeff Byers. Slightly more subdued until late in the match where he roars with emphatic approval!

http://wrscfm.com/content/post/penn-state-wrestling-retherford-defeats-steiber

Byers interviewed on ESPN Radio

http://1450espnradio.com/content/internal-page-post/jeff-byers-penn-state-wrestling-broadcaster

The Open Mat talks to Jeff Byers

http://www.podcast.de/episode/206025621/On%2BThe%2BMat%253A%2BSteve%2BCostanzo%2B%2526%2BJeff%2BByers/

This guy Byers is asked to give a lot of interviews for a guy who doesn't know wrestling. 

Edited by TBar1977

With ESPN radio behind the "big red" give me a break...Mr. Byers is focused on audio only doing PBP with the thought folks are actually watching may be something new and require some adjustments...Without video he paints a picture with words better than most!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

In fairness to Byers, I never listen to any of his stuff.

With ESPN radio behind the "big red" give me a break...Mr. Byers is focused on audio only doing PBP with the thought folks are actually watching may be something new and require some adjustments...Without video he paints a picture with words better than most!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

"paints a picture" is a good way to describe Byers' broadcast

I guess if it was only audio, it might be considered good broadcasting. The problem with the video being added, is it didn't mesh with what he was describing.

"paints a picture" is a good way to describe Byers' broadcast

I guess if it was only audio, it might be considered good broadcasting. The problem with the video being added, is it didn't mesh with what he was describing.

Really? You think telling people who can't see for themselves that an official is calling stalling incorrectly or that he is blowing calls when a kid is fleeing the mat despite making the call exactly like it should be is not an issue on the radio?

Anyone watching the match could see he was a whinny homer but people who were listening on the radio had to assume what he was saying was what was really happening. It wasn't happening. It was deceitful!

IMO he is much worse as a radio announcer than he is as a TV announcer but that doesn't mean he is good on TV.

Edited by dutchcountry7

For people who miss this point: Byers' broadcast wasn't FOR TV. He did his radio gig as normal. The fact it was piped in with the BTN2Go stream doesn't change his role one bit. He wasn't trying to be on television and broadcasting styles for TV and Radio are different animals. If I know I was going to be doing a television broadcast, the amount of chatter decreases significantly. When going solo on radio, you have to keep rolling. 

As far as people's standpoint on how he calls a dual from a PSU standpoint, that's for you guys to argue (which is abundantly clear).

no offense need be taken. Crash won best picture. sometimes the industry peers get it wrong. 

So would you want us (the National Wrestling Media Association and WIN) to retroactively denounce him and take back his award because some people have their feathers ruffled when he is perceived to be over the top for a dual years after he won the award? 

I don't care how many awards he has won because let's face it, when it comes to wrestling announcers, the pickings are slim.  We know this is a low money sport so any sports announcer that hasn't graduated from the wrestling announcer ranks really isn't that good.  Like I said before, Bader is a main competitor of his.

I have zero issue with him covering PSU radio but why has possibly thousands of paid BTN subscribers nationally with no dog in the hunt have to deal with him?  Is that what we have resorted to?  I had big hopes when BTN first came out but this year seems like the worst year in coverage in the last several years.

If we cannot get the 4 time defending national champions (who happen to be a Big 10 team) VS the #2 team in the country (who also happen to be a Big 10 team and one of only 4 teams to win the national tournament in over 20 years) on a primetime broadcast on their home network, we are in serious...serious trouble.

Once again, wrestling always finds a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

The real question is who won it in 1996-1997.  

No issue with him doing the broadcast, and congratulations on the award, but he did not add anything of value to the broadcast.  If I wanted to hear someone bash the ref for an entire dual they could just pump in the crowd noise.  It's nice to hear a homer announcer at times, because they can add some interesting facts that only people who follow the program have (i.e. Ironside), but Byers did not do that.  He whined about the ref, and I felt took away from one of the biggest duals of the year.  J-Rob (team tourney) versus Cael (individual tourney), PSU vs Minnesota, tons of great story lines.  Oh well still a great match.  

2013-14 - Mark Bader, Flowrestling
2012-13 - Steven Grace & Mark Ironside, KXIC Radio AM-800
2011-12 - Ben Hupke, Hupke Wrestling Productions
2010-11 – Shane Sparks, BadgerStateWrestling.com
2009-10 – Jason Bryant, USA Wrestling
2008-09 – Steve Foster, Takedown Radio
2007-08 – Tim Johnson, Big Ten Network
2006-07 – Jeff Byers, Penn State Radio
2005-06 – Ken Chertow, CSTV
2004-05 – Chris Bevilacqua, CSTV
2003-04 – Jim Gibbons, IPTV
2002-03 – Scott Casber, Takedown Radio, KXNO
2001-02 – J. Carl Guymon, KSPI Radio
2000-01 – Larry Nugent, USA Sports Broadcasting
1999-00 – Mark Allen, KXIC Radio
1998-99 – Dan Gable, IPTV
1997-98 – Dr. Dave Bennett
1996-97 – Unknown
1995-96 – Jeff Blatnick
1994-95 – Doug Brown/Tim Johnson, IPTV
1993-94 – Russ Hellickson, NBC/TBS
1992-93 – Larry Sheridan & Shel Siegel, WLVT
1991-92 – Doug Brooker, Iowa Public Television

So would you want us (the National Wrestling Media Association and WIN) to retroactively denounce him and take back his award because some people have their feathers ruffled when he is perceived to be over the top for a dual years after he won the award? 

yes, a full page ad in the ny times making this announcement would be appropriate.

the few minutes i listened to was the most homerific announcing of any sport i've ever heard. so maybe there should be an award for being more homery than the yankees and red sox broadcasters. thats actually impressive. 

I didn't think the guy called a bad match, when he just stuck to what was happening with the wrestling.  The last thing I need to hear though is a guy complaining about every call the ref makes.  Very annoying.  If I wanted that, I would've went to the match and listened to the Penn State fans...

how many years does someone have to go before they can get honored again?

maybe byers was was one of the best 8 years ago but he isnt in the conversation now maybe that means we now have added others to the sport or maybe he has gotten older and stopped caring

if you want to talk about homers that do a good job then the rutgers crew should be at the top of the list they are good despite having a rutgers bent

BRGuy, I think the last five winners are ineligible. For instance, Steve Foster again becomes eligible this year, whereas Jason Bryant is the earliest winner that is ineligible.

That said, according to that list, and assuming none of the others are the "Unknown" winner, Tim Johnson appears to be the only person who has won that award twice!

No offense to you JB or your profession but he was very bad during this dual, radio or TV.  I know you pride yourself with knowing things prior to speaking, but in this case he was just inaccurate and really came off as  clueless for a guy with a decent reputation covering wrestling.

I was at the match and did not hear the broadcast.  Different people obviously have different perspectives.  I can honestly say that the ref in that match was booed by the crowd far more than any ref in any wrestling match I have ever seen.  During the match I found myself wishing I could hear Ironhead's take on the ref.  

While he is obviously a PSU guy, I have always found him to call the match as he sees it and have many many times heard him say the ref got the call wrong even if the bad call benefited the PSU wrestler.

As far as his skill in painting the action with words, I have never heard anyone come close to being as good as him.  While listening to him on the radio I can usually see the match in my head with clear detail, which is not something I could say about any other wrestling announcer I can think of.

I have no problem with Byer's homerism and he is quite good at describing the action.  It was his incessant berating the refs that put me off, even as it became comical.  He was actually dumbfounded that Law would get a stalling call turtled up on bottom while Ness raised his arms up looking at the ref.