Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

First ever dual with a ref "unaware of what was happening."

When I listened to the VT-Penn State dual, I posted on here:

"This announcer, VT-Penn State, whoever he was (missed the start), was top notch."

Someone posted his name to me and I followed with this:

"Among other things, how about how he, Byers, pegged Epperly before he even mounted his comeback. Maybe a homer, but perceptive and pretty objective (to me)."

Then came yesterday and a very different listening experience. What I disliked most was the constant naming of the referee with every complaint. Over and over. To sum it up in one word----OFFENSIVE.

Maybe VT-Penn St was a good day for Mr. Byers and Minn-Penn St was a bad day. I've no rooting interest in either team, just like to see good wrestling (and that we did see) without unnecessary distractions. 

When I listened to the VT-Penn State dual, I posted on here:

"This announcer, VT-Penn State, whoever he was (missed the start), was top notch."

Someone posted his name to me and I followed with this:

"Among other things, how about how he, Byers, pegged Epperly before he even mounted his comeback. Maybe a homer, but perceptive and pretty objective (to me)."

Then came yesterday and a very different listening experience. What I disliked most was the constant naming of the referee with every complaint. Over and over. To sum it up in one word----OFFENSIVE.

Maybe VT-Penn St was a good day for Mr. Byers and Minn-Penn St was a bad day. I've no rooting interest in either team, just like to see good wrestling (and that we did see) without unnecessary distractions. 

THIS!!   I was at the match yesterday and it was a hostile crowd.  I watched the match again today on BTN to see what all the whining was about.  I am a PSU fan and I have to agree that Byers came off as quite a bit over the top.    He seemed to suffer from mob psychology.  With some exceptions he was echoing what the crowd was expressing.  Trying to be neutral I can see where people were turned off by his commentary.   It wasn't his finest hour.  

That said, I can see how a first time listener would be skewed, but the people in this thread saying that Byers adds nothing to a broadcast can't see past their hate of PSU and have an axe to grind.     There are very few announcers in college wrestling that have the knowledge of the sport and the wrestlers that Byers does. He does his homework and it is apparent.  He knows the sport, he knows the PSU wrestlers, he knows their opponents and he always gives credit where credit is due.  If long time wrestling fans don't see this for what it is, you can't see past your bitterness.    

I would have said Byers did a good job except his judgement about the officiating was hopelessly biased and inaccurate.   He should publicly apologize to the official.  I found him especially ridiculous when Matt Brown closed out a period by trapping Storleys heels for about 8 secs.  Everyone seemed to understand that was a stall tactic except Byers.  

And JD Bergman does a better job.  

I would agree Brown was doing nothing and sitting behind him with 5 seconds +/- but if you also look at Storely if he was doing anything at all other than reaching him arm out he could have escaped.  If he is going to ding Brown in that situation he should ring them both up.  I really think both were taking a break for the next period.

is it possible to think the guy sucks without having a PSU axe to grind? 

You can think he sucks if you want.   Haters gonna hate.   If you are saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, adds nothing, doesn't know the sport, doesn't know the wrestlers etc. Like people have been saying is this thread.  I call BS.    You don't watch/listen to alot of broadcasts where the announcer knows the opposing wrestler, accolades etc.  He gives the credit. Yeah he's a homer, HELLO, he's employed by PSU..   WTF do you expect?     

I would agree Brown was doing nothing and sitting behind him with 5 seconds +/- but if you also look at Storely if he was doing anything at all other than reaching him arm out he could have escaped. If he is going to ding Brown in that situation he should ring them both up. I really think both were taking a break for the next period.

How long did Brown hold Storley's arm behind his back earlier in the match with no attempt to turn? Felt like forever.

..the bandwagon fans and the 409 fans make it tough to be a Penn State fan. 

..they're there because Penn State is winning, where were these clowns when PSU wasn't on top? 

Sorry to disappoint you but if you look at the stands you would see that the fans are largely late 50s and older and have been season ticket holders for a long time.  It is a very hard ticket because of those individuals.  Personally I go back to watching Bill Koll's rein as coach watching Dave Joyner, Rich Lorenzo,John Fritz and Andy Matter.

As for the "409" comment, if you pay attention to the news you will see that the NCAA has gone through the ringer as it pertains to it's sanctions on Penn State and has recinded the sanctions (for good reason)  If you are not a hater of all things PSU for whatever lame reason you can think of check out this thread and perhaps you will trash your predjudices!  

http://onwardstate.com/2015/01/20/an-open-letter-to-keith-olbermann/

Note: if you click on the bold print it will link to articles backing the author's stance.

Edited by BDB50

Sorry to disappoint you but if you look at the stands you would see that the fans are largely late 50s and older and have been season ticket holders for a long time.  It is a very hard ticket because of those individuals.  Personally I go back to watching Bill Koll's rein as coach watching Dave Joyner, Rich Lorenzo,John Fritz and Andy Matter.

As for the "409" comment, if you pay attention to the news you will see that the NCAA has gone through the ringer as it pertains to it's sanctions on Penn State and has recinded the sanctions (for good reason)  If you are not a hater of all things PSU for whatever lame reason you can think of check out this thread and perhaps you will trash your predjudices!  

http://onwardstate.com/2015/01/20/an-open-letter-to-keith-olbermann/

Note: if you click on the bold print it will link to articles backing the author's stance.

..I've been a Penn State Fan for 40 yrs and know the difference between right and wrong.

..I've been going to the matches for 25 yrs or so, so I feel I have the right to disagree with the football "fans" 

..I'm embarrassed by the 409 Fools and the Cult of Paterno, I can't support the football team any longer.  The fans are a disgrace!

You can think he sucks if you want.   Haters gonna hate.   If you are saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, adds nothing, doesn't know the sport, doesn't know the wrestlers etc. Like people have been saying is this thread.  I call BS.    You don't watch/listen to alot of broadcasts where the announcer knows the opposing wrestler, accolades etc.  He gives the credit. Yeah he's a homer, HELLO, he's employed by PSU..   WTF do you expect?     

maybe i'll give him another shot. the 5 minutes i listened to was bad enough to mute it and not want to go back.

btw its possible to be a big fan of a team but still not want to listen to super homer during a sporting event. lots of fans do that. its fun, you get to not feel like a paranoid victim all the time. 

maybe i'll give him another shot. the 5 minutes i listened to was bad enough to mute it and not want to go back.

btw its possible to be a big fan of a team but still not want to listen to super homer during a sporting event. lots of fans do that. its fun, you get to not feel like a paranoid victim all the time. 

Perhaps you should listen for more than 5 minutes, and try to be objective. Byers is good at what he does.   BTW:  I'm not following the whole paranoid victim thing.  Jeff is "the voice of Penn State Wrestling".  It would be difficult to follow Penn State wrestling without him if you are not at the match.    

I guess sometimes we will just have to disagree on things on the forum and move on........kinda like beating a dead horse!!   I have felt all along that until all the facts are known that judgement should not be handed down.......kinda like our justice system is supposed to work.  The facts are slowly coming to light and I'm sure more will come as the trials for the administators run their course.  If that proves that they are guilty of wrong doing that is on those 3 as well as Sandusky. To punish so many innocent Penn State and State College buiness's for the wrong doing of one and possibly three more just doesn't sit well with me.  It's like holding the entire Muslim community responsible for what a small percentage of radicals are responsible for doing.   

As far as Joe's involvement, I believe it was pretty much exactly what the NCAA has recently created for protocal pertaining to such matters of possible criminal activity witnessed.  

Really,  is it wrong to think one innocent until proven otherwise???   Think of how many people have gone to prison or been executed because others wanted someone to pay for a crime and it didn't matter to them who it was!

And 007......I am not a diehard PSU football fan.  Sold programs at the stadium as a student and could have gone anytime. In 4 years I went to 0 games and have gone to maybe 7-8 in the 42 years since I graduated.  I have had some contact with Joe and all of it was in line with who I believe he was.   I think those kind of run ins with him is why so many here would like to with hold judging him prematurely. 

Edited by BDB50

I will go along with the fact that there has been an increase in new followers of the wrestling program. Like most fan bases there are those who get a bit zealous and obnoxious.  But again....know that most are like the majority of other programs, just fans of the sport and extremely happy and proud of our team.

Now to defend "Iron Head" aka: Jeff Byers.  And while I'm at it Jason Bryant.....isn't a coincidence they have the same initials??

As Jason has said, Byers's broadcast was intended for his PSU audiance and should be viewed in that context.  He did get a few things wrong such as it is Nick Dardanes who is the tough rider not Chris (if that is wrong blame the Minny "homer" announcer).  But regardless the point is that BTN Plus was fortunate to have his feed.  I watched the Minny/Illinois dual on BTN Plus and for the first part of the broadcast there was no announcer at all.  Then they hooked up with the Minny home announcer.....I was just happy to have a little incite to who was wrestling etc.  Was there a noticable bias....HELL YES!! Do I fault him or BTN.....HELL NO!!   Most anyone they put on is better than "a fist to the back".

Why do I feel that the same crowd bitching about Byers is much the same crowd condeming all that is PSU for what was perpetrated by one individual and has caused 3 administrators to face charges??

Edited by BDB50

Perhaps you should listen for more than 5 minutes, and try to be objective. Byers is good at what he does.   BTW:  I'm not following the whole paranoid victim thing.  Jeff is "the voice of Penn State Wrestling".  It would be difficult to follow Penn State wrestling without him if you are not at the match.    

i wasn't being biased. this is a good example of why having a super homer announcer as the voice of your team sport is probably not a good idea. it makes you think everyone has a bias against your team when none exists. 

i listened enough to know the guy was a super homer and i wasn't going to enjoy his broadcast. i've listened to a lot of broadcasts in my life, this was as homery as i've ever heard. other home wrestling announcers can't touch his level of homerness. neither do other infamous homer announcers like that yankee guy on the YES network.

unless Byers was having an off day, that level of homerness is not good for anyone imho. but if thats what a lot of fans like then ok, fine, enjoy. just don't be surprised when other people dont care for his announcing and dont accuse them of having a bias because its not their cup of tea. 

BDB, I like your wrestling commentary. I like the wrestling commentary from all of the Penn State fans here, but I have been a Penn State fan for 40 years as well and I wish the insanity of the football cult would just go away. All of their crying and defending of what happened back in 2001 gives the rest of us a bad name. 

cjc is right. There is a difference between right and wrong and it is easy to see what happened in 2001 was very, very wrong. Let's stick to wrestling. 

Edited by TBar1977