Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Top staffs in terms of developing talent

I know I will get flamed for this but the Brands do a decent good job at this.    

Dan Dennis

Phil Keddy

Montell Marion

Current guys that I think fall into this category that seem to be progressing well

Nate Burak

Mike Kelly 

Brody Grothus

Alex Myers

Then again not sure if any of these guys fall into the 2nd tier. If not then we really have no idea cause Iowa has too many tier 1 guys to give a 2nd tier guy a chance to shine.  

Teams like Mizzu, Central Mich, Boise State... have a lot more chances at showing the development of 2nd tier guys since their starting lineups are full of them.

Where at Iowa, PSU, OSU there are not many spots not already filled by tier one guys.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

Doesn't this post just scream Central Michigan? It sure seems like Borelli has a high quality team year after year without many of the big names.

This is especially interesting to me now as I am a high school coach with a great--but not quite nationally ranked--wrestler who is a junior with a high ceiling. I'm trying to figure out the best place for him.

Obelix, It is worth taking the time to look into.  Knowing the style the kid wrestles and matching that is important.  Knowing the kind of coaches he responds well to is also a factor.  If they are a light weight or a heavy weight and do the coaches have staff that work well with them.  I personally believe the weight lifting program is an issue.  I see some teams that look strong and have good condition which I believe is a huge factor in success, some schools have very poor weight lifting programs.  This is especially true for upper weights.  A beautiful weight room really has nothing to do with what I am saying.  I was so happy when my son received a scholarship that I looked past a lot of important issues.  Don't do that.

Thanks, Teach. I think it's easy for a kid (maybe like your son) to get blinded by the attention, when in fact the school is not a good fit. This happens way too often, in my opinion.

My guy will be a 125 pounder, and I am very conscious of schools' lightweight coaches in this regard. The local-ish college coaches (Western U.S.) at least know about my guy, so I'm not too worried at this point, but I do want him in the right place, of course.

Thanks, Teach. I think it's easy for a kid (maybe like your son) to get blinded by the attention, when in fact the school is not a good fit. This happens way too often, in my opinion.

My guy will be a 125 pounder, and I am very conscious of schools' lightweight coaches in this regard. The local-ish college coaches (Western U.S.) at least know about my guy, so I'm not too worried at this point, but I do want him in the right place, of course.

Okay, you're obviously not Justin Mejia's dad because he "committed" to Iowa already. Any guesses on Obelix's secret identity? 

I wonder if this has changed somewhat ?

It was a challenge to simply get accepted at Northwestern University . 

Average  (even up to - just above average) HS students need not apply.

Start process by  graduating in upper 3rd of HS graduating class.

I wonder if this has changed somewhat ?

It was a challenge to simply get accepted at Northwestern University . 

Average  (even up to - just above average) HS students need not apply.

Start process by  graduating in upper 3rd of HS graduating class.

For the typical 'unhooked' high school student, unless they go Exeter or some place similar, just being top third is not gonna get you anywhere close to NU.

With that said, for any particular individual, their admissions chances can go from 0 to guaranteed if the administration decides that they want that student. This applies to every school.

I don't have any inside insight into NU's recruiting practices, but my guess is the administration allows quite a bit of leeway for top of the food chain wrestling prospects, but little to no leeway for anyone who isn't an extremely high end prospect. This would explain why Northwestern seems to be able to bring in high end studs year after year but has atrocious depth. This isn't to say any particular individual isn't as bright or qualified as the general NU student body, but rather it's just a guess at the general trend of their recruiting practices.

and i have one huge objection to cradlewiz's post.

I WAS impressed with them when they had Lang Fox Herbert Tamillow velez fox on the same team. Thats ancient history, now they seem to just develop one kid at a time. 

They have currently have a returning national champ, a former finalist, and an AA on their starting roster...like today. How is that developing one kid at a time? 

I'm not able to pinpoint what exactly has been developed (technique, intensity, motivation, etc.) but Purdue's new staff seems to be getting a lot more out of the squad in year one. Most of that squad was not considered Big10 caliber, but yet they are showing they can hang this season. Basically same team as last year and most have made a made a solid leap forward in terms of where they stand on the NCAA depth chart. I'm curious to see how much of this continues on over the next few seasons.

Edited by MadMardigain

They have currently have a returning national champ, a former finalist, and an AA on their starting roster...like today. How is that developing one kid at a time? 

I don't want to give a snarky answer to that so, i'll just say good point. 

I'll just say i thought this before, and became certain watching the iowa dual. I thought they didn't just get beaten, most of their guys didn't even compete. I was also astonished that tsirtsis didn't seem to have any sort of plan when they went into the final rideout, down riding time, especially since he makes his living in those scenarios. Similarly i watched a guy like Welch and thought he always seemed to win on phenomenal guts, for which i gave no credit to his coaches. Their guys lack the intangibles of well coached teams.

Thats really kinda BS of me to say, because its almost impossible for you to disprove, so I am certainly putting this out as my two cents, which i don't always do.

I'd say that Harger has developed nicely since he arrived. Never a champ in Ohio, I believe. Maybe never a finalist??

According to his NU bio, Intermat had him as the ninth ranked kid at his weight and #61 recruit overall for his graduating class. A lot was expected of him coming out of high school as a four-time place winner in Ohio.

I don't want to give a snarky answer to that so, i'll just say good point. 

I'll just say i thought this before, and became certain watching the iowa dual. I thought they didn't just get beaten, most of their guys didn't even compete. I was also astonished that tsirtsis didn't seem to have any sort of plan when they went into the final rideout, down riding time, especially since he makes his living in those scenarios. Similarly i watched a guy like Welch and thought he always seemed to win on phenomenal guts, for which i gave no credit to his coaches. Their guys lack the intangibles of well coached teams.

Thats really kinda BS of me to say, because its almost impossible for you to disprove, so I am certainly putting this out as my two cents, which i don't always do.

I don't think you're too far off the mark regarding not being competitive and from reading Drew Pariano's Facebook posts, he seems to feel the same way.

As far as Welch is concerned, you are right, he brought that go for broke mentality with him. It was evident when he wrestled in the Midlands tournament as a high school senior.

Maybe it's my own bias, but I do believe that the NU guys are as well coached as any team you'll find. I think you really started to see the wheels coming off this season during the Lehigh dual where they could have been far more competitive than they were at that time.

I don't mind welch his mentality or his guts, he just never seemed to do anything the easy way. St. John beat him entirely on just being basic and stingy, for which welch had no answer. Doesn't smack of great coaching to me. 

I am really not that down on Northwestern, or at least wouldn't be if they didn't seem to get so much credit. I think they do similar things to Nebraska, in more difficult circumstances for sure, but nebraska isn't just kinda left alone as far as commentary on this board goes. 

According to his NU bio, Intermat had him as the ninth ranked kid at his weight and #61 recruit overall for his graduating class. A lot was expected of him coming out of high school as a four-time place winner in Ohio.

He was also the 9th ranked senior at 152 alone apparently.  And that is of seniors only.

I just think he has developed quite nicely and has only moved forward the through his college career.  6-7-3-3 at Ohio state tourny isn't terribly special, but he was clearly a kid who had upside and a skill set that would translate to college.

Edited by madcat11

Certainly Cornell.

But I have been so impressed with how VT has been improving that I donated to their club. That allows me lower bowl tickets and rooting for/with the Hokie fans.

Being from Alaska I have usually gone  and simply watched the fun. This year I will have a team to root for.