Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Top staffs in terms of developing talent

Teams like PSU, Iowa, OKST and a few others really recruit some major all-star teams on a regular basis, and rightfully work wonders with their guys to have them ready to compete for NCAA titles year in and year out. However, which coaching staffs seem to work with "second tier" talent, if you will (those not necessarily deemed "college ready" in-terms of wrestling), and regularly bring their guys up to elite status (All-American/National Finalist) at that level?

I wish I would have looked into this question a few years ago, and I would suggest to any wrestler out there that this is the most important factor for deciding where to go, unless you are the best going in already.   There are a few factors involved in this question but worth taking your time.

This just in: Tofurky started a thread in memory of superold. More at 11. 

Hahaha! As I was creating this thread, I remembered that there was some pretty recent consternation surrounding someone here and a certain head coach from a small DI program in western PA, but I couldn't remember which poster it was. Thanks for the reminder, GT.

Really impressed with what Northwestern has been able to do with their blue chip recruits

I'm a big fan of Drew Pariano and his staff anyway, but I prefer to look at what they've done with guys like Andy Nadir, Mike Tamillow and John Velez, as well as coaching up guys like Pat Greco, Levi Mele, Keith Sulzer and others to make them competitive in the Big10 and nationally, while having a 22 man roster cap and monster academic demands.

Honestly Minnesota has had very few top recruits actually pan out. Guys like Deitchler, Mario Mason, Rylans Geiger all failed bad, deitchler because of concussions. Guys like kevin Steinhaus, brett Pfarr, Danny zilverberg, scott Schiller were far from the top guys at their weight coming out of high school.

Honestly Minnesota has had very few top recruits actually pan out. Guys like Deitchler, Mario Mason, Rylans Geiger all failed bad, deitchler because of concussions. Guys like kevin Steinhaus, brett Pfarr, Danny zilverberg, scott Schiller were far from the top guys at their weight coming out of high school.

How many times did Danny Zilverberg AA?  Just curious why you would include him in a list of overachievers?  You forgot CP Schlatter, Matt Nagel, Alec Ortiz, Bart Reiter, among others.  Minny attracts a LOT of top recruits.  They don't all work out.  I think all the top programs probably have similar lists.

Mizzou on the other hand, has really only had the Askrens, Max Shanaman, Dom Bradley, and now J'den Cox that were truly considered elite prospects (even the Askrens, not so much).  Their list is much, much shorter because of much smaller sample size.  

I hope your kidding about Danny zilverberg. He was a total shock winning a state title his sr year, was ranked about 3-5 in the state after a big weight jump. He started his career as a 149 and was forced to go 165 when everyone else went up. In the end was a 4 year starter and an average one at that most of the time. Zilverberg was expected to be a practice partner type for future studs like ness and Bart reiter to beat on and ended up with a 7th place finish.

How about Edinboro?

I know Schopp was a highly ranked recruit out of hs, but I don't remember hearing much about Port or Habat. They almost always do fairly well, and with a team thats not fully funded and guys that aren't household names

Cornell is obviously the best. Missouri does very well. 

OSU and tOSU are very unimpressive.

Northwestern gets much too much credit for their coaching. I think they are very poor. 

Not a fan of Northwestern but a Big 10 fan and I always give props where it's due. Pariano has been running things for awhile and has been getting top recruits and results at a tough institution that is closer to a Penn or Cornell than it is Illinois or Indiana when it comes to academics   Tofurky mentioned some of the better unheralded guys from Northwestern and over the past decade that program has had 1 Olympian/world medalist, 4 NCAA titles by 3 wrestlers, a freshman NCAA champ and several AAs who either who were either finalist or in the hunt for a title during their career - Ryan Lang, Jason Welch, Brandon Precin, Mike Tamillow, Dustin Fox, Jake Herbert and currently Tsirtsis, McMullan, and Harger

How about Edinboro?

I know Schopp was a highly ranked recruit out of hs, but I don't remember hearing much about Port or Habat. They almost always do fairly well, and with a team thats not fully funded and guys that aren't household names

I imagine Superold reading this post while desperately hitting the 'login' button over and over.... Tears of unfathomable sadness streaming down his cheeks. 

Edited by BigRedMachine

Not a fan of Northwestern but a Big 10 fan and I always give props where it's due. Pariano has been running things for awhile and has been getting top recruits and results at a tough institution that is closer to a Penn or Cornell than it is Illinois or Indiana when it comes to academics   Tofurky mentioned some of the better unheralded guys from Northwestern and over the past decade that program has had 1 Olympian/world medalist, 4 NCAA titles by 3 wrestlers, a freshman NCAA champ and several AAs who either who were either finalist or in the hunt for a title during their career - Ryan Lang, Jason Welch, Brandon Precin, Mike Tamillow, Dustin Fox, Jake Herbert and currently Tsirtsis, McMullan, and Harger

The original poster asked about coaches who have successfully developed second tier talent. Zero of the guys you mentioned who won titles at Northwestern were second tier. They were all towards the top of the first tier in HS. The guys that Tofurky mentioned who never did anywhere close to as well are definitely the types of guys that the coaches should get a lot of credit for developing, but their collective accomplishments are too weak to justify calling Northwestern a top talent development program. 

The question I see is: If you are a good wrestler, maybe placed at Fargo, senior nationals, won your state, but not a top 100 recruit, what coaches would give you the best shot to be an AA given the fact you will work as hard as they want?

Doesn't this post just scream Central Michigan? It sure seems like Borelli has a high quality team year after year without many of the big names.

This is especially interesting to me now as I am a high school coach with a great--but not quite nationally ranked--wrestler who is a junior with a high ceiling. I'm trying to figure out the best place for him.