Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Adding an 11th weight class

IMO...... there aren't enough big guys to go around as it is. Most big guys with athletic talent are in FB and BB.

That being said I am for adding a couple weights. But the need is in the middle weights to lt. hvy weights. THAT is where the large number of competitors exists.

With that in mind something like........... 121, 128, 136, 143, 150, 157, 164, 171, 178, 188, 205, Hwt.

Yeah...like that is going to work.  At best Division 1 programs have 9.9 scholarships, not 10.9.  What about over half the programs that have 5 or less and some have none.

Also adding another weight class above 197 would make the top 3 weight classes the weakest just like adding not just 215/220 but then adding the 182 weight in HS.  They are consistently the weakest.

Shifting 197 up to around 210 makes sense.  97kg is always an exciting weight class at the international level - powerful but still agile. Makes sense to let the 197 college guys muscle up a bit and fill that gap (plus the smaller tweener HWT's).  I can't see any downside. 

Intermat HS Rankings at 182

RANK WRESTLER SCHOOL STATE CLASS COLLEGE PREV 1 Zahid Valencia St. John Bosco CA Senior Arizona State 1 2 Myles Martin McDonogh MD Senior Ohio State 2 3 Keegan Moore Jackson County Central MN Junior   3 4 Taylor Lujan Carrollton GA Senior Northern Iowa 4 5 Justan Rivera Kennesaw Mountain GA Senior Notre Dame College 5 6 Kollin Moore Norwayne OH Senior Ohio State 6 7 Nathan Traxler Marmion Academy IL Junior   7 8 Xavier Montalvo Montini Catholic IL Senior Illinois 8 9 Ben Darmstadt Elyria OH Junior Cornell 9 10 Dylan Wisman Millbrook VA Senior Missouri 10

I am in favor of an 11th weight, as discussed in previous postings on tie-breakers. For it to be practical all we need is some to donate $1Million to each D1 wrestling program, a $2/3M donation to D2 $1/3M to D3 schools, and $25million to NCAA. Then we need to provide for women sports at those schools a donation twice as large. Then $50M to various women's sports foundations.

I am in favor of an 11th weight, as discussed in previous postings on tie-breakers. For it to be practical all we need is some to donate $1Million to each D1 wrestling program, a $2/3M donation to D2 $1/3M to D3 schools, and $25million to NCAA. Then we need to provide for women sports at those schools a donation twice as large. Then $50M to various women's sports foundations.

is that all? let me just get my checkbook then. 

Well there could be a less expensive method, simply convince the NCAA all the athletic programs and women that women's basketball should be played 6 v 6 and women's soccer 12 v 12.  Personally I think it will be easier to go with RichB's millions of dollars method, but at least there's an option.  ;)

Intermat HS Rankings at 182

RANK WRESTLER SCHOOL STATE CLASS COLLEGE PREV 1 Zahid Valencia St. John Bosco CA Senior Arizona State 1 2 Myles Martin McDonogh MD Senior Ohio State 2 3 Keegan Moore Jackson County Central MN Junior   3 4 Taylor Lujan Carrollton GA Senior Northern Iowa 4 5 Justan Rivera Kennesaw Mountain GA Senior Notre Dame College 5 6 Kollin Moore Norwayne OH Senior Ohio State 6 7 Nathan Traxler Marmion Academy IL Junior   7 8 Xavier Montalvo Montini Catholic IL Senior Illinois 8 9 Ben Darmstadt Elyria OH Junior Cornell 9 10 Dylan Wisman Millbrook VA Senior Missouri 10

Pretty good wrestlers but I am basing my opinion on the fact that the PA state tournament has fat kids qualifying to states at all the upper weights now, not just 220 and heavy,  Those are kids who would not qualify 5 years ago.

Yep and you would see many schools drop their funding even more because they see a "Sugar Daddy" out there.  It would be a vicious cycle and why a national endowment wouldn't work unless you are talking close to a billion.

Adding weights = adding scholarships = raising more money in an already financially struggling sport.  I would like to see 11 or 12 weights but I would also like to see wrestling period. Curious  how more wrestlers = more viewers? I can see the family or maybe some friends - is it really going to add enough viewers to pay for the exta costs?

When do the Title IXers and the non-revenue sports band together to attack the bloated football scholarships at most universities? 85 scholarships are available per NCAA rules to BCS teams and 63 to FCS teams? Football can't live with 60 scholarships per team, especially in the B10, B12 and PAC10? Television and online revenues can't make up 1.1 scholarships at most universities? My thought is that wrestling isn't asking for much. Add a weight and go to 11 scholarships max. If the $13,821 is the real figure for a the average athletic scholarship these days, then giving wrestling just shy of $15,000 more a year in scholarship money from cutting back on football's scholarships, sharing more viewer revenue, etc. isn't going to kill most athletic departments that still have the sport. Other teams, such as App State, UTC, American U., Davidson, et al, will have to find other opportunities to boost revenues to cover for one more weight.

Pros:

• More opportunities for high school wrestlers to compete in college
  • Shortens the gap between 197 and 285
  • Potentially attracts the elusive two sport athlete
  • The one and only tie breaker necessary for a locked score at the end of a dual

Cons:

• Thins out scholarship opportunities as they currently exist
  • Programs would be pressed to raise more money for the extra weight class

When do the Title IXers and the non-revenue sports band together to attack the bloated football scholarships at most universities? 85 scholarships are available per NCAA rules to BCS teams and 63 to FCS teams? Football can't live with 60 scholarships per team, especially in the B10, B12 and PAC10? Television and online revenues can't make up 1.1 scholarships at most universities? My thought is that wrestling isn't asking for much. Add a weight and go to 11 scholarships max. If the $13,821 is the real figure for a the average athletic scholarship these days, then giving wrestling just shy of $15,000 more a year in scholarship money from cutting back on football's scholarships, sharing more viewer revenue, etc. isn't going to kill most athletic departments that still have the sport. Other teams, such as App State, UTC, American U., Davidson, et al, will have to find other opportunities to boost revenues to cover for one more weight.

Pros:

• The one and only tie breaker necessary for a locked score at the end of a dual

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

Going down to 9 weight classes (with the heavy at 215 to 225) achieves all your pros and eliminates the cons.  11 will never happen, 9 could improve the sport.