Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Ness vs. Kelly....c'mon guys????

Please tell me you didn't watch that match and really feel Kelly was taking it to Ness.  If so, find the video and watch it again.  I give Kelly a ton of credit as he may very well be the most hard nosed guy they have.  Still, that match was close because Ness revisited the Ness of old and was ONLY going for the big move.  He kept putting himself in positions to try to catch Kelly and fell behind because of it. Now, I give Kelly a ton of credit for keeping his hips back, but in the end he STILL ended up on his back.

Regardless of some "unique" ref'ing, Iowa outwrestled Minnesota and deserved to win the dual.  But, please get a grip.  Ness beats on Kelly if he is simply trying to win and STILL got the job done handicapping him for 6 or so minutes.

No argument pm-01, but that is exactly why I don't understand all the hype for Kelly.  Ness has done this several times over the past few years, but NOT this year.  He felt he had to do it for the crowd and it was ridiculously obvious that even the Iowa slanted announcers(and i usually like them for that reason) kept pointing it out.  Still, when he had to abandon it to get back into the match he got two conventional takedowns and inevitably got the scrambles when he wasn't setting them up.  A weird review and a locking hands call was the only reason the match even ended up close.

I can't believe that anyone could watch that match and feel like it was kelly taking it to ness vs Ness just looking like crap.  He looked worse than Stieber vs Sorenson, something was VERY clearly physically wrong

I was told by a fairly reliable source after the match that he has the flu, which would seem pretty consistent with how he looked out there

No argument pm-01, but that is exactly why I don't understand all the hype for Kelly.  Ness has done this several times over the past few years, but NOT this year.  He felt he had to do it for the crowd and it was ridiculously obvious that even the Iowa slanted announcers(and i usually like them for that reason) kept pointing it out.  Still, when he had to abandon it to get back into the match he got two conventional takedowns and inevitably got the scrambles when he wasn't setting them up.  A weird review and a locking hands call was the only reason the match even ended up close.

No argument from me. As a non-gopher Ness is crazy fun to watch, but I imagine gophers watch him with their hands covering their face and peeking through their fingers.

It felt like the Ness of old. I have a hard time thinking that the Ness of old doesn't show up against someone a little better than Kelly at some point this year. Ness does seem to bring his best to NCAAs, but I would be more surprised if he some version of this performance pops up in on of the 3 days of March. 

You guys are missing the point. Kelly being up by that much at any point in a match on anyone named Ness, let alone Dylan, is what is shocking--even  if it's old Ness or flu-ridden Ness or hotdogging Ness. I would take any version of Ness over kelly 10 times out of 10 and possibly 100 times out of 100. Kelly deserves full credit for being up the whole time until deep into the third. The guy lost anyway, let's give him a break.

Otis,

I hope not.  The only time he did it last year(at NCAA's), and I think he was going to lose regardless, was against Dierenger.  He knew he needed a pin for the team and Dierenger exploited him several times.  I truly hope he doesn't end up in that situation again.  Last chance for an Individual Championship.  I love seeing a wrestler trying to do more than just win for his team and going for a MD can be done without taking risks.  Hopefully his team doesn't put him in that situation.

Edited by MSU158

wrestlingnerd,

I see your point, but I don't give it the weight you do.  30 secs into the match I could tell the score could get ugly for Ness unless he caught Kelly.  Ness has let himself fall much further behind against weaker competition than Kelly.  Kelly isn't exactly chopped liver, either.  He is top 12ish. They are definitely a major mismatch, but the score was dependent upon WHICH Ness wrestles. Now, I give Kelly a ton of credit for wrestling smart, and I have repeated that several times.  Still, this season's sloppy Ness didn't let it fall out of reach and adjusted when he needed to, to make sure he won.

Fair enough, MSU, but I want to add a couple of things then.

Kelly may be top 12'ish or even top 10'ish, but 157 is a weight where there is a big gap between the top guys and the rest of the field. It's like 141 in that way. IMart is a major stud, but it is not that surprising to me that he leads the country in tech falls as a freshman at 157. In other words, it doesn't matter whether Kelly is top 6, 7 or 8, or 36, 37 or 38 at 157, when wrestling the top guys and Ness in particular, he IS chopped liver. I exaggerate a little but you get my point.

"Old" Ness is a 2-time finalist and 3x AA. I don't care which version of Ness shows up, what Kelly did was impressive.

I can't believe I have to defend a guy who has become the redheaded stepchild of Hawkeye fans for being so consistently subpar. I'm not even an Iowa guy and could not care less about Kelly. Can't we give him a little credit for busting his ass to give us fans the best match of the night?

Fair enough, MSU, but I want to add a couple of things then.

Kelly may be top 12'ish or even top 10'ish, but 157 is a weight where there is a big gap between the top guys and the rest of the field. It's like 141 in that way. IMart is a major stud, but it is not that surprising to me that he leads the country in tech falls as a freshman at 157. In other words, it doesn't matter whether Kelly is top 6, 7 or 8, or 36, 37 or 38 at 157, when wrestling the top guys and Ness in particular, he IS chopped liver. I exaggerate a little but you get my point.

"Old" Ness is a 2-time finalist and 3x AA. I don't care which version of Ness shows up, what Kelly did was impressive.

I can't believe I have to defend a guy who has become the redheaded stepchild of Hawkeye fans for being so consistently subpar. I'm not even an Iowa guy and could not care less about Kelly. Can't we give him a little credit for busting his ass to give us fans the best match of the night?

Agree. Kelly showed a lot of grit against Ness (regardless of whether Dylan was at his best or not).

I did give Kelly credit, multiple times.  I simply stated why I don't think it was as surprising as you do.  Kelly is one of my favorite Iowa guys to watch.  He clearly isn't their best wrestler but I don't think anyone tries harder.  I may very well end up cheering harder for him to AA than anyother DI wrestler.

I was impressed with Kelly.  He knew when to bail out of Ness' traps.  He finished his shots.  Looked strong as an ox.  He had a great chance to take one away from Ness like many have before when Ness isn't on his game.

What puzzles me is how he wrestled against Martinez.

The difference between Martinez and Ness and their matches against Kelly, is that Martinez isn't waiting for Kelly to make a mistake or fall into some trap as Martinez put Kelly in bad positions and constantly pushed Kelly. It is hard to believe that Ness was playing oppossum last night as someone suggested especially against a much lesser opponent. He didn't look 100% and is probably still recovering. It should be a great match when he finally faces Martinez as I think Martinez will surprise him.

A Guillotine poster said that Ness may not wrestle and that Ness and Pat Smith had weighed in.  The Ness decision would be made at match time.

J said this after the dual "He's been sick all week," Robinson said. "Dylan Ness showed a tremendous amount of courage for what he did tonight. You could tell within the first minute that it wasn't Dylan Ness."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27429872/wrestling-no-1-gophers-blitzed-by-no-2

Edited by jammen

Gehrig

Pretty obvious what Ness was doing, he was looking for a big move. Kelly didnt  fall into it. But yes he good have took it to Kelly and not gave up a bunch of points looking to excite the crowd.

match was over, senior night, he wanted  to excite!

Best wrestler to watch in college today

Palacio and  Ness two favorites! let it fly!

Frank c

Edited by cangemi