Sign in to follow this  
tommygun

Storley vs Evans

If they would have ended up in a scramble immediately after the takedown was called, I wouldn't have had an issue.  But, the fact that Storley rolled him right through to a very possible pinning situation makes it hard for me to, without Iowa bias, say it was a takedown.  Storley is a scramble expert.  He thrives off of exactly that situation.  He ended up on his butt for that quick moment as much, if not moreso, of his own accord as from Evans taking him there.

Any which way it ended up a mess.  CLEAR control should be written in the rule books.  Proponents say this interpretation of the rule was to eliminate referee's opinions, but clear control is no more an opinion than seeing what just happened and calling it a takedown was.

tommygun,

As much as I don't think it was an Evans takedown, there are a few crucial photos missing in that time lapse.

Also, I would appreciate if you and Tbar would delete your posts as Vak and I were not finished with our hand!

If they would have ended up in a scramble immediately after the takedown was called, I wouldn't have had an issue.  But, the fact that Storley rolled him right through to a very possible pinning situation makes it hard for me to, without Iowa bias, say it was a takedown.  Storley is a scramble expert.  He thrives off of exactly that situation.  He ended up on his butt for that quick moment as much, if not moreso, of his own accord as from Evans taking him there.

No, he ended up on his butt because Evans put him there.  And the moment that occurred it was over. 

Love how Evans was all bad ass after the match, like he actually did something great instead of getting lucky. 

:-)

He took the risk to put himself in that position to get "lucky", more than Storely did the whole match. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Storely was in trouble on Evan's double leg, then he went slickly through butt, back, shoulder, side, and onto Evans back in a fluid motion.

C'mon guys - this is wrestling.

Yes the part from his side to Evans back was slow and precarious... I was on the edge of my seat.

But motion didn't stop.

If there's an argument here - it's only about if motion did or didn't stop.

Any which way it ended up a mess.  CLEAR control should be written in the rule books.  Proponents say this interpretation of the rule was to eliminate referee's opinions, but clear control is no more an opinion than seeing what just happened and calling it a takedown was.

MSU...... I usually agree with you BUT..... I have to say IMO Storley was headed to his butt because Evans took him there. Was Storley going to hit his roll as fast as he could..absolutely, but he was certainly TAKEN to that point. Tho I am not a fan of how the rule is written.......... as it is written, imo, it was a TD. 

More of a problem is, and doesn't seem as if anyone is mentioning it, was the total lack of action throughout the match.

Here we have to top rated guys that don't have the balls to TAKE the match to his opponent. THAT pisses me off quite frankly. Through those glasses.....neither guy deserved to win. WHAT has happened to our fine sport?

Gable and Owings didn't score 24 points because they were afraid to make a mistake. They wanted to SCORE MORE than their opponent. Where did the attitude infiltrate our sport that said..... "keep it close till the end then I will go hard for 5 seconds and if it works I win.....if not.. well I probably don't"

MSU...... I usually agree with you BUT..... I have to say IMO Storley was headed to his butt because Evans took him there. Was Storley going to hit his roll as fast as he could..absolutely, but he was certainly TAKEN to that point. Tho I am not a fan of how the rule is written.......... as it is written, imo, it was a TD.

More of a problem is, and doesn't seem as if anyone is mentioning it, was the total lack of action throughout the match.

Here we have to top rated guys that don't have the balls to TAKE the match to his opponent. THAT pisses me off quite frankly. Through those glasses.....neither guy deserved to win. WHAT has happened to our fine sport?

Gable and Owings didn't score 24 points because they were afraid to make a mistake. They wanted to SCORE MORE than their opponent. Where did the attitude infiltrate our sport that said..... "keep it close till the end then I will go hard for 5 seconds and if it works I win.....if not.. well I probably don't"

Couldn't agree more, AKHUNTER. Just the other day, I had the discussion with someone about the current direction college wrestling is headed, regarding action. Personally, I feel stalling needs to be a point of emphasis with officials. College wrestling (in general) is becoming more and more boring to watch.

Take a look at this video of a typical Dylan Ness elevator. Alton makes the first move and Ness at one point is on his back. Are there people here who think that if this happened in SV that Alton is the winner? Because by the arguments being made here it seems they would believe that.

I know you will say there is no control, but Evans didn't really have control of Stoprley either. I have no dog in this fight, but to me Storley had control and wound up in a pinning situatioon because of how precarious and unbalanced Evans' shot actually was. 

Edited by TBar1977

Take a look at this video of a typical Dylan Ness elevator. Alton makes the first move and Ness at one point is on his back. Are there people here who think that if this happened in SV that Alton is the winner? Because by the arguments being made here it seems they would believe that.

I know you will say there is no control, but Evans didn't really have control of Stoprley either. I have no dog in this fight, but to me Storley had control and wound up in a pinning situatioon because of how precarious and unbalanced Evans' shot actually was. 

I think this situation is different in two important ways.

First, Alton could not have had a TD because he was in on only one leg the whole time. He hit a hi-c that was stopped immediately by Ness's move, not a double that planted his opponent on his ass like Evans did. Alton was never in a TD position. Control or reaction time weren't even relevant there.

Second, Ness very clearly initiated the move while on his feet, locking up a tight "gator bacon" or whatever you want to call it before hitting the elevator. Storley got planted on his butt first and then hit his counter. He didn't even have an underhook in until his ass was firmly on the mat on both cheeks. Look at the video again closely and pause it right when Storley makes contact with the mat (second video angle, the replay, shows it better).

At best (for Storley), there is controversy as to when Storley initiated his move, whether it was more Evans doubling him that put him on his ass or whether it was Storley, in premeditated fashion from the feet, putting himself on his own ass and lower to mid-back to counter. To me, it is clear Evans' double was what initiated and drove the action to put Storley in a TD position, not the other way around. But I can live with the interpretation that it was Storley initiating as long as those saying that will also admit that it was not clear cut, and the refs made a decision that was up to their interpretation. With Ness, there is zero controversy and no room for any other interpretation; it was Ness all the way and even Alton's dad will agree based on that footage.

Storley got planted on his butt first and then hit his counter. He didn't even have an underhook in until his ass was firmly on the mat on both cheeks. Look at the video again closely and pause it right when Storley makes contact with the mat (second video angle, the replay, shows it better).

OK, I went back to the BTN Plus video and grabbed some screen shots.  However, they show that Storley got an underhook in well before Evans was even close to taking him to the mat.  Here's the first screen capture I made:

Storley%20underhook%201_zps6aongpvh.png