• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 tommygun

tommygun

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

If that is a takedown, I think I might be over this sport.  Beyond horrible that this sport would allow such garbage.  

#2 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

If they would have ended up in a scramble immediately after the takedown was called, I wouldn't have had an issue.  But, the fact that Storley rolled him right through to a very possible pinning situation makes it hard for me to, without Iowa bias, say it was a takedown.  Storley is a scramble expert.  He thrives off of exactly that situation.  He ended up on his butt for that quick moment as much, if not moreso, of his own accord as from Evans taking him there.

Any which way it ended up a mess.  CLEAR control should be written in the rule books.  Proponents say this interpretation of the rule was to eliminate referee's opinions, but clear control is no more an opinion than seeing what just happened and calling it a takedown was.

• HuskyHero133 and pm-01 like this

#3 VakAttack

VakAttack

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 23,947 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Deuces.

Collegiate Wrestling's Premier Thought Leader

#4 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

are wild?

#5 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

if not, I raise!

#6 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

you call?

#7 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

good, I have two pair.  Aces, and.......aces!

#8 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,862 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

Love how Evans was all bad ass after the match, like he actually did something great instead of getting lucky. 

:-)

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#9 tommygun

tommygun

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

From the Guillotine:

http://theguillotine...orely-vs-evans/

• HurricaneWrestling likes this

#10 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

QUP4jf.gif

#11 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

tommygun,

As much as I don't think it was an Evans takedown, there are a few crucial photos missing in that time lapse.

Also, I would appreciate if you and Tbar would delete your posts as Vak and I were not finished with our hand!

#12 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

Called similar to how Kindig's takedown on Howdy was called. The reffing is terrible this year but at least it's consistently terrible. 

• GranbyTroll likes this

#13 HoundedHawk

HoundedHawk

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

If they would have ended up in a scramble immediately after the takedown was called, I wouldn't have had an issue.  But, the fact that Storley rolled him right through to a very possible pinning situation makes it hard for me to, without Iowa bias, say it was a takedown.  Storley is a scramble expert.  He thrives off of exactly that situation.  He ended up on his butt for that quick moment as much, if not moreso, of his own accord as from Evans taking him there.

No, he ended up on his butt because Evans put him there.  And the moment that occurred it was over. 

• GranbyTroll likes this

#14 OtisCampbell

OtisCampbell

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

Love how Evans was all bad ass after the match, like he actually did something great instead of getting lucky. 

:-)

He took the risk to put himself in that position to get "lucky", more than Storely did the whole match. 

Edited by OtisCampbell, 30 January 2015 - 05:30 PM.

#15 tommygun

tommygun

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

He took the risk to put himself in that position to get "lucky", more than Storely did the whole match. 

Stop.  Evans does NOTHING!  

• GranbyTroll likes this

#16 rstrong

rstrong

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Storely was in trouble on Evan's double leg, then he went slickly through butt, back, shoulder, side, and onto Evans back in a fluid motion.

C'mon guys - this is wrestling.

Yes the part from his side to Evans back was slow and precarious... I was on the edge of my seat.

But motion didn't stop.

If there's an argument here - it's only about if motion did or didn't stop.

• HuskyHero133 likes this

#17 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

Stop.  Evans does NOTHING!  

Other than take the only committed shot of the whole match and score with it? Evans may not be David Taylor from neutral, but in this match, he initiated the offense that got him the win, No way to deny that.

#18 AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

Any which way it ended up a mess.  CLEAR control should be written in the rule books.  Proponents say this interpretation of the rule was to eliminate referee's opinions, but clear control is no more an opinion than seeing what just happened and calling it a takedown was.

MSU...... I usually agree with you BUT..... I have to say IMO Storley was headed to his butt because Evans took him there. Was Storley going to hit his roll as fast as he could..absolutely, but he was certainly TAKEN to that point. Tho I am not a fan of how the rule is written.......... as it is written, imo, it was a TD. 

More of a problem is, and doesn't seem as if anyone is mentioning it, was the total lack of action throughout the match.

Here we have to top rated guys that don't have the balls to TAKE the match to his opponent. THAT pisses me off quite frankly. Through those glasses.....neither guy deserved to win. WHAT has happened to our fine sport?

Gable and Owings didn't score 24 points because they were afraid to make a mistake. They wanted to SCORE MORE than their opponent. Where did the attitude infiltrate our sport that said..... "keep it close till the end then I will go hard for 5 seconds and if it works I win.....if not.. well I probably don't"

#19 Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

MSU...... I usually agree with you BUT..... I have to say IMO Storley was headed to his butt because Evans took him there. Was Storley going to hit his roll as fast as he could..absolutely, but he was certainly TAKEN to that point. Tho I am not a fan of how the rule is written.......... as it is written, imo, it was a TD.
More of a problem is, and doesn't seem as if anyone is mentioning it, was the total lack of action throughout the match.
Here we have to top rated guys that don't have the balls to TAKE the match to his opponent. THAT pisses me off quite frankly. Through those glasses.....neither guy deserved to win. WHAT has happened to our fine sport?
Gable and Owings didn't score 24 points because they were afraid to make a mistake. They wanted to SCORE MORE than their opponent. Where did the attitude infiltrate our sport that said..... "keep it close till the end then I will go hard for 5 seconds and if it works I win.....if not.. well I probably don't"

Couldn't agree more, AKHUNTER. Just the other day, I had the discussion with someone about the current direction college wrestling is headed, regarding action. Personally, I feel stalling needs to be a point of emphasis with officials. College wrestling (in general) is becoming more and more boring to watch.

#20 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,154 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

That was flipping ridiculous.. if thats a winning takedown I'm going to stop watching college and start following freestyle

• HuskyHero133 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users