Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

What did Gilman do behind the Gophers bench?

Gilman ran over to their huddle and said "Hey guys, I just wanted to apologize for my actions last year. They were unprofessional and in no way should reflect what the Iowa wrestling program is about. I hope we can put this incident behind us and someday become good friends. Good day and God bless"

I think its very possible for him to be a bad person. Too often do people get painted as "hes such a good kid, just a bad action." There are plenty of people in this world who are bad people but have a good skill.

They could and should put n end to this type of behavior by dinging the team a point...better yet make it punishable by forfeit!

That be the last time you see arrogent disrespect of that type!  Next thing you could see is a mele that can be seen when teams cross the line in college football games (and I do not mean off sides!).

Didn't see it, so trusting you guys that this actually happened... 

At the end of the day, I DO wish and hope that our 'leaders' of the sport take a hard look in the mirror and ask themselves this question:  Why?

The reason that I say this is simply to look at the Russians, Iranians, European nations, and Asian nations.  They treat wrestling and the concept of wrestling for what it is:  A Martial Art.  

I highly doubt Gatsalov, Saitiev, etc. etc. etc. ever needed the 'Ramos Staredown' to intimidate their opponent.  This mind-game, tough-guy act is simply an act, and a stupid/self-gratifying one at that.  

If WE as USA Wrestling EVER want to seriously compete consistently, we need to teach our younger wrestlers about the discipline of the sport, the values of the sport, and the graciousness and fortunate opportunity awarded to each of these young guys with their physical gifts.  

These actions are 'trashy', and there's no wonder the rest of the world laughs when someone like a Gilman, Ramos, etc. take the mat and get their butts handed to them on the World Stage.  Burroughs?  He's classy, and via his own interview commentary, considers the sport to be something greater than himself.  The world 'adores' him, relative to the rest of the 'super macho man' acts that are out there.  Let's ask Ben Askren if his antics help him compete internationally... oh wait... yeah... that's rights... he got beat... bad... 

I'm willing to give Ramos a pass. Maybe the expression is ritual or something that he needs to pump himself up for before a match.  These guys aren't carrying weapons on the mat. Who cares about his facial expression?

I much prefer humility and sportsmanship and despise bush-league antics, but I don't think that most of our guys are any more guilty of this than others are internationally - probably less, in fact.

Gilman's antics have no place in college sport. There should be penalty points for this kind of behavior.