Sign in to follow this  
buck

Lizak Thrown To The Wolves

What JRob has done to Lizak at 125 really is criminal.

Taking him off redshirt when the kid has barely hit puberty is just so wrong.   Throwing him in against Gilman was akin to taking a 12 year old and throwing him into a jail cell with a  full grown man known for beating and abusing children.

If they took him off redshirt, then he cannot redshirt later.

Sure they can. They can redshirt him any of his next 3 years.

A redshirt is confirmed after-the-fact. You never really get your redshirt until after the season is over and you have not competed at the varsity level. 

Taking him off redshirt when the kid has barely hit puberty is just so wrong.   Throwing him in against Gilman was akin to taking a 12 year old and throwing him into a jail cell with a  full grown man known for beating and abusing children.

...  the kid has barely hit puberty is just so wrong.   ... was akin to taking a 12 year old and throwing him into a jail cell with a  full grown man known for beating and abusing children.

If this is the case its simply criminal that this kid is allowed to practice in a D1 wrestling room, someone should alert the University administration and campus security!  9_9

I don't think so.  He won the match vs. Penn State by riding the snot out of Conaway in the second period and not giving up a tech or pin securing the victory. That was his assignment and he got tons of praise for it.  

Plus, he's from Pennsylvania and had a chance to travel with the team to wrestle in his home state.  I'll bet he'd take the opportunity 10 out of 10 times.

Lizak's ride of Conaway is a bit over rated. Conaway had two options in that match, try to TF Lizak or try to pin him. If you watch what Conaway did in that 2nd period it was pretty obvious he was attempting to turn in on Lizak where he would then be on top of him where he could attempt to pin him. It did not work, but that was more a tactical decision on Conaway's part than it was Lizak's riding skills. In the 3rd period Conaway got out pretty easily when he decided to just stand up. 

Don't get me wrong, Lizak is a nice wrestler. He won state titles in his soph. and junior years. I do think some of our Pennsy guys caught up to him and passed him by his senior year and became better prospects, though. 

Edited by TBar1977

While it looks that way, Eggum said they had a long conversation with Lizak and he still wanted to go ahead with the opportunity.  You know J RARELY lets a true freshman go.   Dustin Schlatter and Logan Storley are the only that I remember.

Mike Thorn started as a true freshman until about mid February. Not sure if this one counts though because he was filling in for an injured Mack Reiter and Travis Lang left the team at the start of that year.  

Lizak's ride of Conaway is a bit over rated. Conaway had two options in that match, try to TF Lizak or try to pin him. If you watch what Conaway did in that 2nd period it was pretty obvious he was attempting to turn in on Lizak where he would then be on top of him where he could attempt to pin him. It did not work, but that was more a tactical decision on Conaway's part than it was Lizak's riding skills. In the 3rd period Conaway got out pretty easily when he decided to just stand up.

Don't get me wrong, Lizak is a nice wrestler. He won state titles in his soph. and junior years. I do think some of our Pennsy guys caught up to him and passed him by his senior year and became better prospects, though.

Funny, thought you had me on ignore. Welcome back. :)

Lizak against Gilman was like watching a little kid have his lunch money stolen by the school bully.  He isn't even close to ready

But that being said, if we don't have other options due to injury, and Lizak was ready to give it a shot, I don't see the problem.  As someone mentioned earlier, Mike Thorn got beat up pretty bad as a true freshman, and he ended up redshirting later and having a great career

Lizak's ride in the PSU meet was not some strategy that Conaway was implementing. He got rode out hard and it pretty much put an end to the idea of a 5 point tech and shortened the match hence limiting his chance of getting pinned. 

Lizak is not that bad for a true freshman. Lizak kept it to 11-4 against Gilman at Midlands and won  4 matches there to place 7th.  Is he a All American? No, but he can handle being out there if it is their best option.  

It is not like he is a super recruit that with 1 year in the room could in theory battle for 4 titles. He can use this half of the year as a great learning experience and will have a great idea of what to work on when he does redshirt. Kinda like Dan Dennis and Lofthouse did a few years back. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Nope.  That ride 100% saved the tech.  Lizak's ride was time Conaway was supposed to be continuing the takedown fest. 

Nope.  That ride 100% saved the tech.  Lizak's ride was time Conaway was supposed to be continuing the takedown fest. 

I don't think you are seeing what I am suggesting. Lizak wanted to ride for sure. That was HIS strategy. I concede that fact.

Conaway could either 1) try to stand up and get out and then try to get more takedowns OR 2) try to turn in on Lizak to get him on his back, thus putting him into a pinning situation

I am saying that Conaway tried to turn in and pin Lizak, but just couldn't pull that strategy off. Had he wanted to merely escape, I think he could have done that. I don't think it was any certainty that he'd get enough take downs to TF him, hence the strategy he used. Go re watch the match and take note of how Conaway moved in period 2 vs. period 3. Big difference.

The Gophers have about a half dozen 125's on their roster, who, at least to me, seem pretty close in ability.  It would be a shame not to put one of them on the mat.  With that many guys there is only going to be so many opportunities to compete.

I understand what everyone is saying about Lizak getting tossed to the wolves, blah blah blah....but when you are a scholarship wrestler out of PA I expect more than what he gave out there. I didn't expect him to pull out a win but he looked defeated just walking out there. I was disappointed by the fact that he didn't even compete.

I don't think you are seeing what I am suggesting. Lizak wanted to ride for sure. That was HIS strategy. I concede that fact.

Conaway could either 1) try to stand up and get out and then try to get more takedowns OR 2) try to turn in on Lizak to get him on his back, thus putting him into a pinning situation

I am saying that Conaway tried to turn in and pin Lizak, but just couldn't pull that strategy off. Had he wanted to merely escape, I think he could have done that. I don't think it was any certainty that he'd get enough take downs to TF him, hence the strategy he used. Go re watch the match and take note of how Conaway moved in period 2 vs. period 3. Big difference.

So your opinion is that Conaway allowed himself to be ridden for two entire minutes in an effort to put Lizak on his back, even though he never came particularly close to doing so?