Sign in to follow this  
buck

Lizak Thrown To The Wolves

I understand what everyone is saying about Lizak getting tossed to the wolves, blah blah blah....but when you are a scholarship wrestler out of PA I expect more than what he gave out there. I didn't expect him to pull out a win but he looked defeated just walking out there. I was disappointed by the fact that he didn't even compete.

I thought the same thing about rfr Gilman last year when Brancale pancaked him repeatedly.

So your opinion is that Conaway allowed himself to be ridden for two entire minutes in an effort to put Lizak on his back, even though he never came particularly close to doing so?

No.

My opinion is that in the 2nd period he attempted 2x to turn in on Lizak so that he would then be on top of him, which would put him in a pinning position. On both attempts he gets about 80% of the way there, but on neither is he able to finish that move. He gets a little tired, Lizak throws legs in and rides out the final minute in period 2.

In period 3 he sits out and gets to his feet in 10 seconds or less. Had he really wanted to escape in period 2, as opposed to turning him over, he'd have sat out and stood up just like he did in period 3. I think he tried to pin him, instead of trying to go the TF route. Simple as that. 

Well then Conaway and or the coaches had a bad strategy. Didn't a 5 point TF win the meet for them? If so then that was really poor match management. If they needed a pin then it was not a bad idea.  

I am not sure they ever really figured out if a 5 point tech wins the meet for PSU.  

Edited by OtisCampbell

if Conaway could have just sat out and escaped whenever he wanted to he should have at the very least escaped in 2nd period's short time and salvaged a point. i can see going for the pin a few times but if it's not working from bottom after a minute and a half its time to try something else. 

dont really recall the match that well though. maybe it was all part of the plan.