Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

All-Star Returning NCAA Champ didn't repeat Lineup

He was a weak hodge winner though

WHAAT did you say ?Dang --I saw most of Larkin's bouts during his Hodge year. Very dominant, no loses , with the bonus points, inclusive.

Then ……and then he beat the returning champ in the finals. Whaaa what did you say about weak. OMG we are all sucking !

I stand corrected.  I remembered him going into the tournament undefeated, but I forgot(ashamed) how Askren took it to him.  I also remembered how he was too injured to even wrestle at the NCAA tournament the following year.  Going into that season I expected him to own 184.

Yep  you pretty much hit it spot on. He got hurt the next year against Chris Perry in the dual (I think it was a dual).

WHAAT did you say ?Dang --I saw most of Larkin's bouts during his Hodge year. Very dominant, no loses , with the bonus points, inclusive.

Then ……and then he beat the returning champ in the finals. Whaaa what did you say about weak. OMG we are all sucking !

i was trolling

Edited by hammerlockthree

Oops --one more of those incrementally upward wrestlers. We should all know who it is. He comes on the forum. Always has some solid input.

Who is my mystery Cyclone ?

Hint: frosh were not eligible during his great career. So his numbers were 3-2-1 at the big tourney.

I'm thinking Vic Carucci (sp). Larkin in addition to the 4-3-2-1 was the OW. The year he took 3rd he'd had knee surgery after the PAC-10, and wrestled his way back into shape during the NCAA tournament.

Shawn Garel won as a sophomore and beat all of the placers in 1976 by a major decision or worse during that year. He didn't make weight the 2nd day in Tucson. Took me 30 minutes to convince Stan Abel that I wasn't joking about him not making weight. Garel never wrestled again.

The funny thing is GranbyTroll started this whole thing to try and knock Iowa(look at his tags) and really all he did was make a showcase for how many great wrestlers they have had over the years.  

Strange how he is trying to knock McD for winning 2 titles. It is a huge accomplishment to win 1 title in your career no matter how talented you are coming into college. Injuries had everything to do with him not performing his senior year more than anything else.  

The funny thing is GranbyTroll started this whole thing to try and knock Iowa(look at his tags) and really all he did was make a showcase for how many great wrestlers they have had over the years.  

Strange how he is trying to knock McD for winning 2 titles. It is a huge accomplishment to win 1 title in your career no matter how talented you are coming into college. Injuries had everything to do with him not performing his senior year more than anything else.  

I bleed black and gold, but Iowa recently had two champs not repeat. Gotta call a spade a spade. 

I am gonna second kendrick maple. Barring ignorance of some rare disease, I don't think I've ever seen someone take their foot off as the pedal as abruptly as he did. 

He got married during season. Does that qualify as a disease, albeit not a rare one? 

It wasn't the getting married that did Maple in. He developed a rare illness that made it very difficult to digest/keep food down. According to Kendrick's dad he was weighing 145-147 at the NCAA tournament. He still has some problems with it.

Apple, out of respect for my home boy.………..the name is Marcucci. Mr. Vic Marcucci. The NCAA champ, 3X (3-2-1) all-american Clone.

25th -- Illinois State HS Wrestling final bouts :

I will briefly take some historical liberties to demonstrate the "Heart of a champion wrestler." My first encounter with Cooch was at the Illinois state final bout (138 lbs - all classes combined). Cooch lost a 2 point decision. Second at state….just did not fly very well. I recall that when he walked by I could clearly see the intense pain, as well as some expected anger. I could so relate to what he was probably going through. I had placed 3rd in Champaign Urbana the year before. That, after stickin' my way through the entire District and Sectional qualifying tourneys. The situational depression was killin' me.

Later Cooch would vow to "put aside football at the start of my (sr) yr." Ran with the cross-country team instead. His cardio was likely unmatched. "I will not lose again, I will not lose." Fast forward to March 1st. The finals of the Illinois Sate tourney. All classes. This time he not only wrestled his way to the finals again…….he beat a returning state champ in the 154 pounds final bout.

On to college . Yeah, it's all well documented. The history will clearly show us the continuation of the"Heart of a champion."   

Matt Gentry, wasn't even an AA the year after he won an NCAA title. Did place 5th in the Olympics though.

I was thinking him too.  He's an odd case.  Only placed one year and that was his junior year when he went undefeated and won it all.  157 the year he won it was loaded too.  Gentry, Percival, Bertin, A. Tirapelle, Hendricks and Travis Paulson finished in that order.